BC-Loyola LA-Fordham-Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
salim123

BC-Loyola LA-Fordham-Miami

Postby salim123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 am

I only want to be in schools in a big city. This is where I have to choose from.

Which would you recommend not factoring in stuff like ranking? Im talking about like which is the most fun for 3 years? Nicest students? etc...

thanks!

BigZuck

Re: BC-Loyola LA-Fordham-Miami

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 am

I bet Miami would be the most fun. Probably the nicest students as well.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am

Total COA at each? What kind of work do you want to do?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 am

timbs4339 wrote:Total COA at each? What kind of work do you want to do?

I don't think the OP cares about this stuff. TLS has a nasty habit of getting off topic, lets try to stick to the questions at hand.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am

BigZuck wrote:

I don't think the OP cares about this stuff. TLS has a nasty habit of getting off topic, lets try to stick to the questions at hand.

If he wants to answer, let him.

If not, his question is dumb. It's subjective, and you ask a dozen people and will get a dozen answers. IME, law students are all neurotic and stressed out. They drink a lot. Most are nice, a few can be douchebags. There are school sponsored events mostly involving alcohol. If you can't fit in at one law school you probably won't fit in at another, unless you're talking about a place with strong religious tradition you don't belong to. Otherwise you'll find people of all types at all law schools and like any large organization most people will stick with a few close friends and treat others with respect and politeness.

salim123

Postby salim123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 am

COA is not an issue. I am just inquiring about "type" of students. I may not be able to go visit in person before making a decision, so I am trying to gather as much info as possible.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

BigZuck wrote:

Let's not because CoA and jobs are much more important that "what kind of people go there"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

Why is CoA not an issue

Do your parents have $250k lying around

Or do you just not care

salim123

Postby salim123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 am

i was offered enough money at each, so that cost is not a factor in my decision.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 am

salim123 wrote:COA is not an issue. I am just inquiring about "type" of students. I may not be able to go visit in person before making a decision, so I am trying to gather as much info as possible.

See?

If I wanted to have fun with nice people I would choose Miami. Probably the best looking people there as well.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 am

salim123 wrote:i was offered enough money at each, so that cost is not a factor in my decision.

How much debt are you taking at each (including cost of living and interest) and what kind of job do you want to end up with

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

salim123 wrote:COA is not an issue. I am just inquiring about "type" of students. I may not be able to go visit in person before making a decision, so I am trying to gather as much info as possible.

From the perspective of someone who graduated this is kind of a silly question. First, the only people who will be able to give you anything like an answer will be transfers who spent one year at one school and another year at a different school. Second, it's something that's highly subjective. The person telling you "all BC people are jerks, go to Miami" might just be saying that because they are socially awkward, can't make connections, and wouldn't fit in at Miami. Or the person telling you that Loyola people are nicer than Fordham people might be someone from Ohio who is going off what they've heard about people who live in New York and LA generally. Third, all law students are culled from the same group of people, and are much more similar among schools then they are different.

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am

BigZuck wrote:

Well, I live in Miami and am b/w BC and UM. Not factoring school ranking, scholarship, col, then... Miami! By a land slide. It is not even close.

I love Boston, I love New York, and I'm sure LA (never been) is nice. But, there are two kinds of Miami's really... Coral Gables/Brickell/SOBE, and.. everywhere else. UM is right in the middle of Coral Gables, I mean it's quite literally paradise. Palm Tree's everywhere, gorgeous women in bathing suits, great food spots at every corner, half the people in this city own boats and love to take people out on it --especially for the regattas (if you don't know what one is, then I urge you to visit memorial day weekend)-- year round Sperry's and a t-shirt weather, sipping a pina colada floating around in a tube in the Florida keys is always 45 minutes away, the best Broadway's at the arsch center, the Miami Heat being down the street, every weekend there is a major artist in town performing, did I mention the food spots? Honestly I sort of made my decision for myself now, so thank you for allowing me to re-appreciate my surroundings. Look, there is no better place to live than in Miami. Of course, not all of Miami is terrific. The traffic is unbearable, I mean the absolute worst.. They warned me about Boston, but i'n not sure it compares. As much as the heat is great year round.. From July-August it is too hot to be outside unless you are either in a swimming pool or in the beach. And the biggest thing I would warn against, and you have to take into account is - the legal market! It is over saturated! There arfe big firms here, but since 2008 they have not been hiring from local schools like they used to. Pre 2008, every UF, UM, and FSU student was walking out of school and into a 6 figure salary with an ocean-side view of brickell and a convertible bmw to cruise around the city. Since then, you better place into the top 5-10% to have a shot at it, and if you strike out the margin is making $145,000, to making $50,000 at a boutique firm working foreclosure defense for 10 years... I do hear that the market is picking up, so maybe it will get better by the time we walk out.. but nothing is guaranteed.

I apologize any spelling errors, or lazy writing, I typing as quickly as I can and do not have time to go back and fix it..
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

I only want to be in schools in a big city. This is where I have to choose from.

The more important question is where to you want to live after school. (These are all regional schools, and place ok in their backyard, but portability is not likely.)

salim123

Postby salim123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

thanks for the replies. this all really helps.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Miami.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I've lived in Boston and LA (currently). In terms of people, Boston is going to be a much better city for meeting friends. You can go to a bar in that city and meet 10 people just by striking up random conversations. Also, because there are 60 colleges in the area, the crowd tends to be A) younger and B)more intellectual (BC, BU, Harvard, MIT, Tufts all nearby). That said, BC is NOT in Boston. It's on the T, but it's the commuter rail and it's a good 20-30 min ride outside the city.

While it may be easier to meet people in Boston, these people will be much more intense. Bostonians take themselves VERY seriously, and work extremely hard all the time. LA is a much better atmosphere for more laid back, relaxed types. Also, from November-April you would be VERY glad you chose LA. Boston is a hell-hole in the winter, no other way to say it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I hear "un- and under-employed and heavily indebted" is a common "type" of law student at all four of these schools.

If you're looking to party for three years and things like cost and outcome aren't that big of a deal, why not just move there for a low-paying job and party it up without the law school and debt? This is a pretty silly question for all the reasons timbs explained.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:I hear "un- and under-employed and heavily indebted" is a common "type" of law student at all four of these schools.

If you're looking to party for three years and things like cost and outcome aren't that big of a deal, why not just move there for a low-paying job and party it up without the law school and debt? This is a pretty silly question for all the reasons timbs explained.

Saying "I work at Starbucks" doesn't have the same effect on the ladies as "I'm going to be a lawyer." And I bet the ladies in Miami are pretty hot.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I hear "un- and under-employed and heavily indebted" is a common "type" of law student at all four of these schools.

Saying "I work at Starbucks" doesn't have the same effect on the ladies as "I'm going to be a lawyer." And I bet the ladies in Miami are pretty hot.

If all you've got is "I'm going to be a lawyer," that's not going to do it for the ladies in Miami.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:59 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

If all you've got is "I'm going to be a lawyer," that's not going to do it for the ladies in Miami.

you're right, but "I`m a club promoter" should do the trick

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 pm

One thing is for sure, St. Louis has to be the most boring and socially awkward of all the American cities based on this website. All these WUSTL kids find time to troll these forums and do their school work. I can only assume that leaves very little time to actually go outside or interact face to face with another human being.
I don't mean to be petty, but you're seriously hijacking a question that in no way involved debt. OP already said that he/she has significant scholarships to each school and any further probing of his/her financial situation is unnecessary. OP also stated that he/she was ONLY curious about the cities where the schools are, not that he/she was making a decision based on which school has the best dance scene. There are other threads that legitimately require that kind of wise advice that you all usually dispense. This isn't one of them.
Last edited by Aroldis105 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:One thing is for sure, St. Louis has to be the most boring and socially awkward of all the American cities based on this website. All these WUSTL kids find time to troll these forums and do their school work. I can only assume that leaves very little time to actually go outside or interact face to face with another human being.
I don't mean to be petty, but you're seriously hijacking a question that in no way involved debt. OP already said that he/she has significant scholarships to each school and any further probing of his/her financial situation is unnecessary. There are other threads that legitimately require that kind of wise advice that you all usually dispense. This isn't one of them.

lol

You're a full-time student at one of the top schools in the country and literally average 20 posts a day on this website. I average two posts a day and am only working part time until school starts. You can't seriously view that as a prudent use of your time.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”