Decision time in the Southeast

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 am

I know there are 8 billion of these topics, but I'm getting pretty damn desperate. I need some outside advice, from people who know about this stuff but have no personal connection to me.

I want to live and practice in the southeast (mainly in either TN, AL, GA or KY). I had it narrowed down to three schools- U. of Memphis, UTK, or UK. UK offered me instate, and UTK offered me $2500 a year bringing their instate tuition (I live in TN) down to about $15k. In the end I settled on UTK because I'd rather practice in TN than KY and UTK is a better school for the money than Memphis. Yesterday, I get a call from Ole Miss asking if I'd made a decision. I told them I had, and the Dean of Admissions made me an offer of an additional $5k a year on top of the instate tuition waiver, making their tuition about $9k a year. I mean... how can I argue with $9k a year for law school??? But at the same time I don't know if I want to practice in MS. I also have reservations about Oxford- I'm not sure I'll fit in with the whole "Hotty Toddy" crowd, and the town is so small that I feel like I'd be trapped (I mean there's no Olive Garden there.... WHAT?! lol) I'd love to have some insight from someone who's been to Ole Miss Law, or UTK and can vouch for it.

Thoughts? Advice? Prayers for my tortured soul? Haha.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 am

Go to a school that is at a reasonable cost and places well into an area where you have ties.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby phillywc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=mississippi
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tennessee
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=memphis
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=kentucky

Honestly, Kentucky's employment numbers are not half bad. However, Tennessee is not super awful if that's where you want to practice.

What would your COA for each school be (include Cost of Living and Interest)?

MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:59 am

Cost of attendance is probably the same across the board- I'm looking at about 12,000 in room and board plus a little more for incidental expenses and whatnot. In the end Ole Miss saves me about $18k over three years if I don't get any more money from them. Question is, is it worth it? If I want to practice in TN, UTK is the best option with the exception of Vandy. I feel like it has more flexibility, and I don't want to get stuck in MS.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:12 am

Which of those states you want to work in do you you have preexisting ties to

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby phillywc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

I'm worried you are spending more than UTK is worth. That said, it appears to be the best option in your situation. Try and leverage all the offers you can to get more $ from UTK.

MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am

I do have ties in TN. I completed an internship with Senator Corker and the Memphis D.A., so there are definite employment prospects there. I don't know anybody in MS. However, I'm fairly confident that with my numbers I can go into Ole Miss and be in the top 10% of my class. If that happens, do you think I'll get the flexibility I want as far as employment after school?

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby phillywc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am

MemphisKat wrote:I do have ties in TN. I completed an internship with Senator Corker and the Memphis D.A., so there are definite employment prospects there. I don't know anybody in MS. However, I'm fairly confident that with my numbers I can go into Ole Miss and be in the top 10% of my class. If that happens, do you think I'll get the flexibility I want as far as employment after school?

Never assume you'll be in the top 10%. Law school grades aren't random, but they approach randomness.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby utilitarianjac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 am

I'm from TN too. It's the greatest state in the Union.

I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot of helpful advice, but here are things I would consider:

1.) I would not assume that you will finish in the top 10% anywhere. Law school is a different sort of game. Some people love it; others don't. Some students score consistently well across their classes. Others, like me, had some great classes and others that weren't so hot. It's rather unpredictable.

2.) Memphis is in a newly renovated building, and it seems cool.

3.) Knoxville traffic has always annoyed me (not that Memphis is any better). Both schools are right on a river, which is a plus to me.

4.) Football vs. Basketball

5.) Ole Miss seems to want you (for what that is worth)

In the end, I would try to think a little less about money. I'd think about going wherever makes you the happiest b/c that will help get you through school and will increase your chances of success. Those, in turn, will improve job prospects on the other side.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 am

I think for you Tennessee is definitely worth 18k more than Mississippi, especially if you aren't sure you'll be happy there.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 am

I wouldn't go to UK unless you have preexisting ties to Kentucky. Same story for Ole Miss.

What is total cost of attendance (including cost of living and interest on the loans) of Memphis and UTK

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 am

Hate to be "that guy" but total cost of attendance with interest factored in is necessary here. Guessing because the OP has not furnished that yet means they have not thought that deeply about it.

OP, google the "Georgetown law calculator" and crunch the numbers for each option and post them here please.

MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

Nah, I'm not assuming... I know the danger in that. However, I can't afford to be lukewarm in my confidence. If I approach this with the attitude of "Oh well anything can happen" there's no way I can justify this much debt. So I'm approaching it with the attitude of "I'm going to do well, no ifs, ands, or buts about it". That's all. And thanks for the tip about the law calculator! Really helpful, I'm playing with it now.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:03 am

BigZuck wrote:Hate to be "that guy" but total cost of attendance with interest factored in is necessary here. Guessing because the OP has not furnished that yet means they have not thought that deeply about it.

OP, google the "Georgetown law calculator" and crunch the numbers for each option and post them here please.


+1

But I feel that this would be more useful to decide whether OP should go to law school at all versus picking one of these. COA and interest will all be pretty similar...I don't think one school will end up being cheap enough to justify picking it solely for cost considerations.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am

MemphisKat wrote:Nah, I'm not assuming... I know the danger in that. However, I can't afford to be lukewarm in my confidence. If I approach this with the attitude of "Oh well anything can happen" there's no way I can justify this much debt. So I'm approaching it with the attitude of "I'm going to do well, no ifs, ands, or buts about it". That's all. And thanks for the tip about the law calculator! Really helpful, I'm playing with it now.

Except there's a 90% chance (or so) that you won't be top 10%, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 am

rad lulz wrote:
MemphisKat wrote:Nah, I'm not assuming... I know the danger in that. However, I can't afford to be lukewarm in my confidence. If I approach this with the attitude of "Oh well anything can happen" there's no way I can justify this much debt. So I'm approaching it with the attitude of "I'm going to do well, no ifs, ands, or buts about it". That's all. And thanks for the tip about the law calculator! Really helpful, I'm playing with it now.

Except there's a 90% chance (or so) that you won't be top 10%, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here.


tbh none of these schools are BigLaw feeders...and BigLaw is generally the most rank-sensitive. Not that your grades won't be important, but I feel like the employers/firms that hire from these schools will do so primarily out of convenience and ties. Your determination to work hard is commendable, but it's probably safer to assume that you'll be somewhere around the median and decide whether you're comfortable with the job prospects that accompany that rank. That way, if you get top 10%, then great! If not, then you'll still be presumably satisfied with your results

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 am

rad lulz wrote:
MemphisKat wrote:Nah, I'm not assuming... I know the danger in that. However, I can't afford to be lukewarm in my confidence. If I approach this with the attitude of "Oh well anything can happen" there's no way I can justify this much debt. So I'm approaching it with the attitude of "I'm going to do well, no ifs, ands, or buts about it". That's all. And thanks for the tip about the law calculator! Really helpful, I'm playing with it now.

Except there's a 90% chance (or so) that you won't be top 10%, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here.


Statistics are for TLS elitists

Seriously though, Rad is right.

And COA at each is probably very similar but I would rather see it spelled out in case I/the OP is missing something.

MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:15 am

Just that I'm trying to approach it with a good attitude... I'm not being combative or cocky, I'm being optimistic in my abilities. So yeah, I could graduate bottom of my class. I could be unemployed at graduation. I could drop out and become a stripper. Who knows? But until I'm upside down on a pole I'm going to approach it with a positive attitude ;)

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 am

MemphisKat wrote:Just that I'm trying to approach it with a good attitude... I'm not being combative or cocky, I'm being optimistic in my abilities. So yeah, I could graduate bottom of my class. I could be unemployed at graduation. I could drop out and become a stripper. Who knows? But until I'm upside down on a pole I'm going to approach it with a positive attitude ;)

Or you could try to approach it w detached and analytical realism but hey that's just me I guess

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:24 am

Threads like this are why people hate the south :cry:

MemphisKat
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Decision time in the Southeast

Postby MemphisKat » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 am

rad lulz wrote:
MemphisKat wrote:Just that I'm trying to approach it with a good attitude... I'm not being combative or cocky, I'm being optimistic in my abilities. So yeah, I could graduate bottom of my class. I could be unemployed at graduation. I could drop out and become a stripper. Who knows? But until I'm upside down on a pole I'm going to approach it with a positive attitude ;)

Or you could try to approach it w detached and analytical realism but hey that's just me I guess


Eh, realism is alright. I prefer rose colored glasses. Haha I totally get what you're saying, I'm just teasing. I've examined these scenarios from every possible angle and I'm going in with eyes wide open as far as debt, grades and employment prospects.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dasq5511, studyingeveryday and 4 guests