U of Houston (75K) vs.CU boulder (45K)vs. Cornell(sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lucyindisguise

U of Houston (75K) vs.CU boulder (45K)vs. Cornell(sticker)

Postby lucyindisguise » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey all, I need some advice! Torn between three schools, and I am having the hardest time deciding.
I'm planning on studying environmental law, but knowing me, I may change my mind as soon as the semester starts. I want to make
the right informed decision, but every time I speak to someone from respective schools, all they do is tell me what I want to hear. I would LOVE
some honest opinion please! :)

Just to give you guys some background, I graduated from U of Texas at Austin with a 3.7, LSAT 165 (took it three times lol) and right now I am frantically writing my thesis (crossed fingers!) and finishing up my masters degree at Georgetown University. Tuition isn't really an issue since I was fortunate enough to find a great paying job between undergrad and graduate school as well as during graduate school, but it would be really nice to not freak out about having no money after 3 years in law school!!
I didn't really enjoy my time in DC, but I didn't hate it either. I absolutely loved Austin, but unfortunately, my lsat wasn't good enough to get me there as an out-of-state applicant. I am currently waiting to hear from SMU, but even with SMU on the list, it'd be a battle between (SMU,Houston) vs CU Boulder vs Cornell. Cornell isn't offering me any money, and I have not heard very many good things about their program or their job placement. Any thoughts?

thank you! good luck to those out there making decisions! :D

WokeUpInACar

Re: U of Houston (75K) vs.CU boulder (45K)vs. Cornell(sticker)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 am

Keep your great paying job, don't go to law school.

lucyindisguise

Postby lucyindisguise » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:30 am

thanks for the reply, unfortunately, not a job I can keep forever. I'm a pro-athlete (not the kind that pops in your head...I don't play football or bball), and I'm tired, injured and looking to retire as soon as my contract is up.
If I physically could, I totally would keep the job.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 am

lucyindisguise wrote:thanks for the reply, unfortunately, not a job I can keep forever. I'm a pro-athlete (not the kind that pops in your head...I don't play football or bball), and I'm tired, injured and looking to retire as soon as my contract is up.

Take Cornell. It is the only one of those schools that will get you into environmental law/ a well-paying law job. Also, don't underestimate the power of interesting work experience-- if you get the grades, it should really help you get the job.

lucyindisguise

Postby lucyindisguise » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
lucyindisguise wrote:thanks for the reply, unfortunately, not a job I can keep forever. I'm a pro-athlete (not the kind that pops in your head...I don't play football or bball), and I'm tired, injured and looking to retire as soon as my contract is up.

Take Cornell. It is the only one of those schools that will get you into environmental law/ a well-paying law job. Also, don't underestimate the power of interesting work experience-- if you get the grades, it should really help you get the job.

Thanks for the reply and advice!! I was looking at CU boulder's environmental law ranking...it's top 5, but does that really matter? Cornell's tuition is 55000/ year without living expenses...the $$$$$ scares me a little bit.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 am

lucyindisguise wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:

Thanks for the reply and advice!! I was looking at CU boulder's environmental law ranking...it's top 5, but does that really matter? Cornell's tuition is 55000/ year without living expenses...the $$$$$ scares me a little bit.

Specialty rankings don't really matter at all. Employers really just care about grades, and the type of school you attend. At Cornell you would likely need to get top 40 or so percent to have a great shot at a big firm (where most of the environmental law jobs exist). At CU Boulder you probably need top-10 percent grades and journal and close ties to the market where you want to work. CU likely won't take you anywhere outside the mountain west, Arizona, and California. Cornell can get you into most major markets, as well as any other market where you have some close ties.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:14 am

Do you think most people who say they want to do environmental law are talking about the kind of law big firms do?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 am

OP: Where are you from? Where (not what type of law) do you want to practice after you graduate? How much is the total cost of attending each of the schools you're choosing among? How much debt do you have currently?

Cane26

Postby Cane26 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:44 am

I am a CU-Boulder graduate. We did place very well in environmental law. I am a 2012 grad and I would say 65-75% of the people that wanted to get into environmental law did. If you were ranked in the top 10-15% you were able to get a six-figure environmental law job even in the crappy economy. I am including water law and other various eco fields in the env law umbrella. There also seemed to be a lot of great env law opportunities that CU offered that I doubt other schools do across the country with the exception of maybe Vermont and Lewis & Clark

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

Curious as to how the OP has never heard a good thing about Cornell or their job placement. Really weird.

Also doesn't Colorado place like a TTT? I don't think that is a good school to attend.

lucyindisguise

Postby lucyindisguise » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 am

Hey all, thank you so much for all the replies.

To answer your questions.....

Houston: $16,032
CU Boulder: $35,187
Cornell: $74,680

above figures are COA per year including living expenses estimated by respective schools.
I hope to practice in the mid-west area, but I can't say for sure right now. I'm just looking forward to leaving DC.
I am currently not in any debt, but it looks like I may have to take out a loan for cornell. I am resident in VA.
With what I have heard from Cornell, I meant that those who don't do well in school
(bottom 25%) have a hard time finding a job in the east coast when compared to places like Houston or SMU (although I understand that Houston or SMU grads usually stay in TX).
I'm actually a bit nervous about paying 75K a year and not doing well in school, then regretting my decision to attend law school. I know it sounds silly,
but law school is intimidating! (To me, at least)
I have no connections in the Ithaca/NY/East area but a few in Boston, whereas I have many friends as well as liaisons practicing in the mid-west region esp. TX.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:Do you think most people who say they want to do environmental law are talking about the kind of law big firms do?

+1

CU grads do get jobs in environmental law. Probably close to zero get environmental jobs in large law firms though.

Here is employment data from CU : http://www.colorado.edu/law/careers/graduates
It's cool cuz it tells you when people got their jobs and it actually lists all the different places that graduates were employed. It's also kinda not cool cuz it shows a bunch of people not getting jobs.

OP either go to Cornell and go for NYC biglaw or re-take for UT-Austin or full-rides.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”