California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:It is insane to consider Berkeley at sticker, correct?


I just hate that the one school that aligns best with my goals is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.


It is 293,000 $



Oh, I know.

User avatar
yodamiked
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:07 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby yodamiked » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Only one year of data, but still relevant

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204578



This is based off of 2011's numbers. UCLA's employment numbers from LST were much higher for class of 2012.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

yodamiked wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Only one year of data, but still relevant

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204578



This is based off of 2011's numbers. UCLA's employment numbers from LST were much higher for class of 2012.


Yes "total employment". I linked to the newest LST info for UCLA and NU in a previous post. Still not as good as NU.

Large Firm Under Employment School Funded
34.2% 20.1% 12% UCLA

49.2% 11.5% 3.7% Northwestern U.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=northwestern

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=ucla

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:It is insane to consider Berkeley at sticker, correct?


I just hate that the one school that aligns best with my goals is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.


It is 293,000 $



Oh, I know.

How is the COA 293?

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 pm

RELIC wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:It is insane to consider Berkeley at sticker, correct?


I just hate that the one school that aligns best with my goals is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.


It is 293,000 $



Oh, I know.

How is the COA 293?



it's 293 for out of state, it would be somewhere between 276-293k after being in-state the last two years.

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:It is insane to consider Berkeley at sticker, correct?


I just hate that the one school that aligns best with my goals is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.


With the options you have on the table, yes.

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:How is the COA 293?

it's 293 for out of state, it would be somewhere between 276-293k after being in-state the last two years.

Link? I see the COA is 76,862 for OOS this year. That is 230,586 total.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm

RELIC wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:How is the COA 293?

it's 293 for out of state, it would be somewhere between 276-293k after being in-state the last two years.

Link? I see the COA is 76,862 for OOS this year. That is 230,586 total.



interest on loans dude

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:How is the COA 293?

it's 293 for out of state, it would be somewhere between 276-293k after being in-state the last two years.

Link? I see the COA is 76,862 for OOS this year. That is 230,586 total.

interest on loans dude

That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Also assumes tuition and I'd imagine COL increase

76k at 8% alone is roughly 256k debt tho
Last edited by sinfiery on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 pm

I have a friend that now works in the oil field. He graduated from UCLA Law. He practiced law for a while. His current life in the late 30's gives me a lot of anxiety. I wouldn`t attend UCLA when you have the option of attending better schools at a similar or better price.

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
RELIC wrote:How is the COA 293?

it's 293 for out of state, it would be somewhere between 276-293k after being in-state the last two years.

Link? I see the COA is 76,862 for OOS this year. That is 230,586 total.

interest on loans dude

Here I will do the math for you:

If you paid in-state tuition all three years it would $250,604.40 including all interest
If you paid OOS tuition all three years it would be 264,256.03 including all interest

The likely scenario of getting the first year at OOS and the next two as instate is somewhere between those two numbers.
Last edited by RELIC on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 pm

RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.

In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm

You can't assume COA in 2013-14 will equal COA in 2014-15, etc

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.

In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.


BUT IT'S ONLY A QUARTER MILLION?! Guys at my high school paid for that all the time, it was NBD.

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:16 pm

bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.
In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.

LST just literally made that number up.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 pm

RELIC wrote:
bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.
In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.

LST just literally made that number up.

Meh, all numbers are "made up" in a certain sense. If you assume residency is foreclosed to OOSers then you have CoA of 77k (which leads to 275k debt at repayment). But that's going to go up because of tuition increases and inflation. Those last 2 factors make it guess work. That said, as ruxin eloquently put, the difference between 250k and 300k isn't really material.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 pm

I wish they did. You get 285k here
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... geid=61621

With 76880 or w.e as coa in year 1

LST is a bit more aggressive in calculating cost but not by much

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

sinfiery wrote:I wish they did. You get 285k here
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... geid=61621

With 76880 or w.e as coa in year 1

LST is a bit more aggressive in calculating cost but not by much

So the idea is to just make up a random percentage to increase tuition by?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Yep. BKs post explains it.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.

In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.




haha seriously. what did i ever do to you, dude?


although, again, it seems pretty easy to go from OOS to in-state, especially since, again, I have a CA driver license, paid CA state taxes this year, etc.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm

RELIC wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I wish they did. You get 285k here
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... geid=61621

With 76880 or w.e as coa in year 1

LST is a bit more aggressive in calculating cost but not by much

So the idea is to just make up a random percentage to increase tuition by?



If you mean:

is LST making up a random percentage to increase tuition by? No, it seems they're doing it based on general inflation rates and the trends from the past few years.

are law schools making up random percentages to increase their tuition by? Yes. Looking at UC law schools' tuition from even 5 years ago is a whole different world.

User avatar
RELIC
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:
bk1 wrote:
RELIC wrote:That still isn't close....you are pulling these number out of your ass.

lol just lol @ you attacking OP. The number comes from LST, which while at least a bit off due to residency, isn't all that unreasonable as a close possibility for sticker at Cal.
In any case, quibbling over the exact number is stupid since sticker is nowhere close to the UCLA or NU offers.

LST just literally made that number up.

Meh, all numbers are "made up" in a certain sense. If you assume residency is foreclosed to OOSers then you have CoA of 77k (which leads to 275k debt at repayment). But that's going to go up because of tuition increases and inflation. Those last 2 factors make it guess work. That said, as ruxin eloquently put, the difference between 250k and 300k isn't really material.

$50k is a ton when amortized over a 5-20 year repayment.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby Big Dog » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm

The likely scenario of getting the first year at OOS and the next two as instate is somewhere between those two numbers.


Actually, in California, it is extremely easy for grad students to gain residency for tuition purposes in year 2.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm

1 year OOS plus 2 instate equals about 273k COA

Way too damn expensive




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lsa16 and 2 guests