California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
twinkletoes16

Silver

California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Winston1984

Gold

Re: California or Bust and Slightly Less Debt-Averse...

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 pm

You mentioned you have family all around CA, so does this mean a possible cheaper cost of living in certain parts? Based on your goals and the COA for each school, UCLA seems to be the clear choice. Berkeley has better employment statistics but not $200k worth better. If USC matches UCLA's scholarship it would really be a toss-up because their employment statistics and placement are so similar. If they do match, I would visit both campuses and see where you see yourself. Congrats on all your offers and enjoy CA!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Winston1984 wrote:You mentioned you have family all around CA, so does this mean a possible cheaper cost of living in certain parts? Based on your goals and the COA for each school, UCLA seems to be the clear choice. Berkeley has better employment statistics but not $200k worth better. If USC matches UCLA's scholarship it would really be a toss-up because their employment statistics and placement are so similar. If they do match, I would visit both campuses and see where you see yourself. Congrats on all your offers and enjoy CA!

They don't live close enough to USC/UCLA/Berkeley for me to live at home and save $$$. I would probably be able to save some money on food since every time I go home I have a ridiculous amount of food cooked for me, but not anything substantial $-wise :mrgreen:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd hit NW

Not enough $ for UCLA/USC

Boalt is retardedly expensive

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Around 100k is what I'd be comfortable with for UCLA, so I'd be tempted to go there if you are truly Cali or bust. But I think NW at 134 is a pretty decent deal too, and I'd definitely pay 37kish more for the safety net at NW, but that safety net really only applies if you're open to NY/Chicago.

All in all, I'd probably go to NW and bid on NY too. Worst case you may have to spend a few years in NY before coming back to CA (well, worst case is unemployed, but you know what I mean)

But if good weather/being in CA, etc etc are more important than the biglaw safety net, UCLA's still a decent option

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I vote UCLA over NU only because of weather and family concerns, which are irrelevant to me but seem to matter to you. I can't believe Berkeley gave you nothing.

With a CA license and tax return, you may be able to swing in-state. I've heard crazier stuff.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

This is true. I just don't understand how they can get so many people to go for what is essentially sticker. :shock:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This is true. I just don't understand how they can get so many people to go for what is essentially sticker. :shock:
People are ignorant and desperate

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Cal with the matching offer.

It'll open doors in Silicon Valley so you can work in the tech field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Lincoln wrote:I vote UCLA over NU only because of weather and family concerns, which are irrelevant to me but seem to matter to you. I can't believe Berkeley gave you nothing.

With a CA license and tax return, you may be able to swing in-state. I've heard crazier stuff.

They haven't given me 0 yet, but the matching scholarship process seems pretty random and I don't want to count on it, especially since I haven't heard anything yet.

In-state would be great, because then I'd be paying 2k-3k/year in tuition for UCLA.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Revolver066 wrote:Around 100k is what I'd be comfortable with for UCLA, so I'd be tempted to go there if you are truly Cali or bust. But I think NW at 134 is a pretty decent deal too, and I'd definitely pay 37kish more for the safety net at NW, but that safety net really only applies if you're open to NY/Chicago.

All in all, I'd probably go to NW and bid on NY too. Worst case you may have to spend a few years in NY before coming back to CA (well, worst case is unemployed, but you know what I mean)

But if good weather/being in CA, etc etc are more important than the biglaw safety net, UCLA's still a decent option

I'm visiting NYC for the first time soon so I will see if I think I can make it work.

I've lived all over the country (10 states total, we moved to the Bay when I was in late elementary school) and I just am a lot happier in CA. I know it's dumb.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:ETA: I've heard from various people that going to a T14 outside of CA can help because big firms want to diversify their SA classes, so they'll pick up 10 Boalt kids, 2 Michigan kids, 2 NU kids, etc. This sounds like bullshit to me, but interested to hear opinions. From what I heard it's always best to go to one of the best schools you can in the region you want to practice.
Firms do want to diversify, but Boalt still has an advantage over other T14s for CA firms.

I think the real question is what you'd want to do if you didn't get biglaw. If you truly want CA above all else I'd probably take UCLA/USC, whichever is cheaper. But if you'd consider biglaw in NYC over working for a small firm in CA then I'd take NU.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Northwestern unless Boalt matches your Michigan or NU offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

At those prices I think Michigan, NYU, and, unfortunately, Berkeley are all out. If its CA or bust then I would go with UCLA. And honestly I would be surprised if you ended up in that much debt considering how big that scholarship is but of course LA is expensive and you might have to max out your COL budget. But if you can get out with even less debt then you wouldn't neccessarily have to get big law and that could potentially be liberating.

But damn, that's a great price for NU. It still neccessatates big law but its still a really great offer. If you pass on it would you mind sending it my way? I personally would take that in a heartbeat.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
I've lived all over the country (10 states total, we moved to the Bay when I was in late elementary school) and I just am a lot happier in CA. I know it's dumb.
Its not dumb. Im from SoCal and missing it like CRAZY. But being at home and happier wouldnt make me a better student. Actually it'd probably make me want to study less

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Boalt is cheaper than Columbia and Northwestern.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Northwestern unless Boalt matches your Michigan or NU offers.
Berkeley is much too dignified to consider a scholarship offer from Northwestern.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
Its not dumb. Im from SoCal and missing it like CRAZY. But being at home and happier wouldnt make me a better student. Actually it'd probably make me want to study less

I see you don't succumb to the I'm sad->sleep and Netflix->eat->even sadder so can't bring myself to study spiral.

When I was happy my senior year of UG, I did my best by a lot. Had a ridiculously busy social life and got my best grades then. anecdotal but it's what works for me.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm

UCLA makes the most sense here, imo. Even if you don't land biglaw, your debt isn't so massive it's unmanageable. Boalt would be perfect for everything you want but that price tag is insane. Good luck!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:At those prices I think Michigan, NYU, and, unfortunately, Berkeley are all out. If its CA or bust then I would go with UCLA. And honestly I would be surprised if you ended up in that much debt considering how big that scholarship is but of course LA is expensive and you might have to max out your COL budget. But if you can get out with even less debt then you wouldn't neccessarily have to get big law and that could potentially be liberating.

But damn, that's a great price for NU. It still neccessatates big law but its still a really great offer. If you pass on it would you mind sending it my way? I personally would take that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, very excited to see NU this weekend. I know a lot of people that LOVE Chi and their offer is ridiculously awesome, so definitely a contender.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm

This might be a dumb question, but are there only about 10% of NU grads going to CA because the lack of jobs or no desire to work in CA? I was just curious if it would be harder for OP to land her dream job in CA if she chose NU over UCLA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Winston1984 wrote:This might be a dumb question, but are there only about 10% of NU grads going to CA because the lack of jobs or no desire to work in CA? I was just curious if it would be harder for OP to land her dream job in CA if she chose NU over UCLA.
There is a lot of self-selection. Of course more than 10% of NU could work in CA (or work in CA biglaw) if they really had the desire to. That said, CA is a very difficult market to crack. It is definitely harder to get a biglaw job in CA than in NYC. I don't really know whether it is harder than Chicago (it's probably easier than DC), but it is definitely difficult and requires better grades than what might suffice for NYC.

I'm not sure the difference between UCLA/USC and NU in getting CA biglaw jobs is that large. There might be a difference but I'm not convinced it is all that big. However there is big difference between UCLA/USC and NU in terms of getting CA nonbiglaw jobs since it is much easier to network, intern, develop connections, etc for CA when you spend the entire year in CA as opposed to spending merely the summer.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:This is good advice, though I tend to assume people w 6 figs debt will take the biglaw offer in NYC out of 2L OCI if they strike out on CA firms from NU rather than putz around and try to find something after graduation
Yeah I dunno. It's easy to say in the abstract that you'd prefer a 50k job in CA but when offered an NYC biglaw job (because you bid it as a backup) I'm not necessarily sure people would turn it down. Especially when getting the smalllaw job in CA takes a lot of 2L/3L hustling that is avoided for people who choose to take the biglaw job handed to them on a platter.

OP, I'm not saying that you would prefer NYC biglaw over CA smalllaw, but I do think you need to think long and hard about what you really want.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bk187 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:ETA: I've heard from various people that going to a T14 outside of CA can help because big firms want to diversify their SA classes, so they'll pick up 10 Boalt kids, 2 Michigan kids, 2 NU kids, etc. This sounds like bullshit to me, but interested to hear opinions. From what I heard it's always best to go to one of the best schools you can in the region you want to practice.
Firms do want to diversify, but Boalt still has an advantage over other T14s for CA firms.

I think the real question is what you'd want to do if you didn't get biglaw. If you truly want CA above all else I'd probably take UCLA/USC, whichever is cheaper. But if you'd consider biglaw in NYC over working for a small firm in CA then I'd take NU.
This is good advice, though I tend to assume people w 6 figs debt will take the biglaw offer in NYC out of 2L OCI if they strike out on CA firms from NU rather than putz around and try to find something after graduation
Lots of Californians are different though bro, location gets privileged above things like money. What you're saying is rational but many Californians' love of California is irrational.

Not making fun of anyone in this thread btw, I get it. Home is home and when home is CA there are definite pulls to go back/stay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”