Drexel or Hofstra

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bananapeanutbutter

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Basically, if you do reasonably well - like top third or so Hofstra gives you a good shot at a 35-40k job working for an attorney where you can learn how to open shop, but likely these people unless they start to really like you or see you as the son/daughter they never had will really just want to use you to make money in a limited role until they let you go. I'd be concerned about growth potential and exit options from these sort of jobs. Maybe top 5% will get big law without special connections coming in, but that's a lot to bet on. Again top 5% would just make you competitive, but won't lock anything in. This is good because top third at Drexel won't get you that 35-40k position. Personally, I'm against 3 years of super hard work at high quality to wind up making as much as I'd probably make pouring drinks and driving a cab, because the bartending and driving a cab is much more rewarding work because it's kind of fun. Nobody ever said writing briefs was fun. They might enjoy the end product, but pouring shots for soriority girls or researching some old second circuit case? The whole reason people do the latter is the long term career potential, but when the soriority girls get better jobs, IDK man.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Both are terrible decisions.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 pm

I would say HOFSTRA! I tend to think of it as the Harvard of Long Island.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 pm

Don't let these h8ers keep you from pursuing your dreams. These schools are both renowned as being the backdoors to biglaw. If you can dream it, you can do it!!! Don't worry about this debt bogeyman these h8ers keep springing up, the gov't will take care of you!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 pm

stillwater wrote:Don't let these h8ers keep you from pursuing your dreams. These schools are both renowned as being the backdoors to biglaw. If you can dream it, you can do it!!! Don't worry about this debt bogeyman these h8ers keep springing up, the gov't will take care of you!

180, best post here.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 pm

DaRascal wrote:I would say HOFSTRA! I tend to think of it as the Harvard of Long Island.

The issue is 1.) there are no big law firms on Long Island. Long Island's role in big law is it allows big law attorneys to have a family suburban life with a reasonable commute to the Manhattan office. 2.) even people in Long Island don't love it. It was bigger before more manageable commutes, and the technological age when Long Island was a market in itself. Nowadays, the only time people use a Long Island office is for their day to day legal needs like divorces, or small business incorporation or maybe local tax attorneys.

And there is no Harvard of Long Island. Uniondale is an under 1 hour commute from NYU and Columbia. More likely, the Harvard of Long Island is Harvard.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 am

Each school is a complete shithole/dump in its own special way. You're a complete idiot if you attend either one without a serious scholarship. That said, I'd pick Hofstra. The STD-ridden undergrad girls are at least fun to look at in that they wear practically no clothing to go to class and the spikey-haired guys that attend are always providing some sort of comic relief. Also, the wineries are about an hour away. Since you're fucking up your life, you might as well have access to good wine.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 am

Hmm true. I was strongly considering Hofstra as a HS senior. Just seems like a great school with fun people. Don't know why the law school would be any different. 8)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:20 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 am

rad lulz wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Each school is a complete shithole/dump in its own special way. You're a complete idiot if you attend either one without a serious scholarship. That said, I'd pick Hofstra. The STD-ridden undergrad girls are at least fun to look at in that they wear practically no clothing to go to class and the spikey-haired guys that attend are always providing some sort of comic relief. Also, the wineries are about an hour away. Since you're fucking up your life, you might as well have access to good wine.

MAD Law bro

Ha - We need to dig up that thread - or at least that tirade lol

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 am

reasonable_man wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Each school is a complete shithole/dump in its own special way. You're a complete idiot if you attend either one without a serious scholarship. That said, I'd pick Hofstra. The STD-ridden undergrad girls are at least fun to look at in that they wear practically no clothing to go to class and the spikey-haired guys that attend are always providing some sort of comic relief. Also, the wineries are about an hour away. Since you're fucking up your life, you might as well have access to good wine.

MAD Law bro

Ha - We need to dig up that thread - or at least that tirade lol

Gotchu bro

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178765#p5245139

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 am

Come on guys, you fell for the April 1 joke.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Thank you Rad ... from my prior post (April one or not - I still enjoy this):

As an attorney practicing in the NY area that did not attend a "top" law school, I can tell you that Hofstra is possibly the longest running joke in the New York legal community. Its objectively better than Pace and Touro (also dog-shit law schools), yet somehow, Hofstra remains a better punch line than either of those other shit-piles. The students are sub-par. The attorneys that graduate are mediocre. The bar pass rate fluctuates between "average" and absolutely pitiful to the one of the worst in New York State (depending on the year in question). This is all before you even get to the guido jokes, which trust me, if you are attending Hofstra, those jokes will become a way of life for you... I'll close this post by re-posting an old post of mine that followed the name change of Hofstra law school...

And its not even going to be "The Situation School of Law."

Hofstra Law will now be the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, or as I intend to call it, MAD LAW. Congratulations Hofstra. By renaming the LS after a person who did not even practice law and has made no significant contribution to the legal community you have once again remind us why no one takes your school seriously in or out of the NY area. Well done, as always. Touro may be a shit-pile, but at least it's namesake was a heavy-hitter in the legal community.

See: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

I can just see it now...

Paulie: Eh Tony, whatchodoin afta you graduate from Wagna (Wagner College for those of you that don't speak LI Guido)?
Tony: I fuckin killed my LSAT bro.. 158.. Goin to Mad Law in the fall.. I'll be slamin dime pieces at McHeebs after i get my study on (after GTL).
Paulie: Mad Law?
Tony: It used to be Hofstra Law, but the school was so tight they had to rename that shit... Average graduate makes like 2 million a year or some shit like that, so they had to change the name so people would know whats up..
Paulie: Oh word...
Tony: For realz son..

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:employers POV.

I'd say they're pretty atrocious from the POV of employers considering so few students get reputable jobs from either. You've got about a 50/50 shot at a FT/LT JD-required job from Hofstra or Drexel, and virtually no shot at a firm of 100+. Take a look at the ABA breakdown on Law School Transparency. Pretty bleak outlook right there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”