Drexel or Hofstra

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 pm

/
Last edited by coffeeaddict on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm

COA?

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 pm

TripTrip wrote:COA?


COA is higher at Hofstra than Drexel, but regardless of cost, I am asking about law school experience, reputation from an employers POV, and general thoughts. Employers are not concerned with how much candidates are paying or not paying for law school.

LS cost is definitely an important factor in my decision, but not the purpose of this post.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 pm

You afraid when you say how much debt you're taking out people are gonna tell you not to go?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby KingFish » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

popcorn.gif

jeffgarlin
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby jeffgarlin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:You afraid when you say how much debt you're taking out people are gonna tell you not to go?

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:You afraid when you say how much debt you're taking out people are gonna tell you not to go?


Not at all. There is no reason to be afraid of what other people think I should do. It is ultimately my decision, my cost, my responsibility. Whether I pay up front for COA, have a full ride, or take out 100% debt does not change other people's thoughts of the schools from their experience/employers POV. I'd simply like to know how these schools are thought of in their respective areas.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:Employers are not concerned with how much candidates are paying or not paying for law school.

This is an April fools joke, right?

OP is lame.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm

TripTrip wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:Employers are not concerned with how much candidates are paying or not paying for law school.

This is an April fools joke, right?

OP is lame.


Why is this lame? Have you ever gone to an interview where the employer was concerned about how much you paid for school or whether you got a full scholarship?

I think you are missing the point of this post. I'm not trying to get approval from anyone about my decision on where to go to law school. I just want to know how these schools are thought of from personal experience or from someone in the area.

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You afraid when you say how much debt you're taking out people are gonna tell you not to go?


Not at all. There is no reason to be afraid of what other people think I should do. It is ultimately my decision, my cost, my responsibility. Whether I pay up front for COA, have a full ride, or take out 100% debt does not change other people's thoughts of the schools from their experience/employers POV. I'd simply like to know how these schools are thought of in their respective areas.

look at lawschooltransparency.com

Those schools are not thought of well

And that's putting it mildly



Thanks. I appreciate the link.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:Employers are not concerned with how much candidates are paying or not paying for law school.

This is an April fools joke, right?

OP is lame.


Why is this lame? Have you ever gone to an interview where the employer was concerned about how much you paid for school or whether you got a full scholarship?

I think you are missing the point of this post. I'm not trying to get approval from anyone about my decision on where to go to law school. I just want to know how these schools are thought of from personal experience or from someone in the area.

Nope, but I also don't want to go into an interview with a potential employer who wants to offer me a salary that would pay off 1/10 of my law school debt each year if I lived on the street and ate scraps out of the dumpster. What's the point in landing a job if the salary you can command won't even cover the minimum monthly service on your student loans?

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:Employers are not concerned with how much candidates are paying or not paying for law school.

This is an April fools joke, right?

OP is lame.


Why is this lame? Have you ever gone to an interview where the employer was concerned about how much you paid for school or whether you got a full scholarship?

I think you are missing the point of this post. I'm not trying to get approval from anyone about my decision on where to go to law school. I just want to know how these schools are thought of from personal experience or from someone in the area.

Nope, but I also don't want to go into an interview with a potential employer who wants to offer me a salary that would pay off 1/10 of my law school debt each year if I lived on the street and ate scraps out of the dumpster. What's the point in landing a job if the salary you can command won't even cover the minimum monthly service on your student loans?


TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

OP- I'm from CT. From my experience in UG and in talking with numerous lawyers and pre-law advisors my opinion is that Hofstra has a better regional reputation. However, I honestly believe the two are quite close in reputation.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:03 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

TLS is tough love. You'll notice discussions ever once in a while about people who understand the risks of law school stumbling across friends IRL who are talking about law school much the same way OP is. They have an internal debate about whether it is appropriate to inform them of the inherent risks of attending a T2/3/4 at sticker. On the one hand, it would be a shame to allow them to fall into the indebted trap of law school with abysmal outcomes. On the other, it is not socially acceptable to dash someone's dreams and give advice when it is not asked for. On this forum, in this thread, we have removed the social strains attached to the latter consideration. Because of this, I am unshackled and able to tell OP that neither Drexel nor Hofstra is worth attending at sticker price. Cost of attendance is an incredibly important point of consideration, and the OP is already asking for advice. The first piece of advice: take COA into consideration. COA isn't everything (plenty of people would go to Harvard at Sticker over Columbia on a full ride), but you cannot pretend that it doesn't matter because you just want to impress potential employers with a different T2/3/4 school.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

TripTrip wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

TLS is tough love. You'll notice discussions ever once in a while about people who understand the risks of law school stumbling across friends IRL who are talking about law school much the same way OP is. They have an internal debate about whether it is appropriate to inform them of the inherent risks of attending a T2/3/4 at sticker. On the one hand, it would be a shame to allow them to fall into the indebted trap of law school with abysmal outcomes. On the other, it is not socially acceptable to dash someone's dreams and give advice when it is not asked for. On this forum, in this thread, we have removed the social strains attached to the latter consideration. Because of this, I am unshackled and able to tell OP that neither Drexel nor Hofstra is worth attending at sticker price. Cost of attendance is an incredibly important point of consideration, and the OP is already asking for advice. The first piece of advice: take COA into consideration. COA isn't everything (plenty of people would go to Harvard at Sticker over Columbia on a full ride), but you cannot pretend that it doesn't matter because you just want to impress potential employers with a different T2/3/4 school.


But he's not mentioning COA. For all you know he has full rides at both. He simply wants to know everything else out of the equation- which school has a better regional reputation. Don't lecture about tough love or COA or T2/3/4...he/we dont care. We see the same thing on every thread. Stop trolling.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Lol @ the next amendment telling us how we ought to be poasting

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:20 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

TLS is tough love. You'll notice discussions ever once in a while about people who understand the risks of law school stumbling across friends IRL who are talking about law school much the same way OP is. They have an internal debate about whether it is appropriate to inform them of the inherent risks of attending a T2/3/4 at sticker. On the one hand, it would be a shame to allow them to fall into the indebted trap of law school with abysmal outcomes. On the other, it is not socially acceptable to dash someone's dreams and give advice when it is not asked for. On this forum, in this thread, we have removed the social strains attached to the latter consideration. Because of this, I am unshackled and able to tell OP that neither Drexel nor Hofstra is worth attending at sticker price. Cost of attendance is an incredibly important point of consideration, and the OP is already asking for advice. The first piece of advice: take COA into consideration. COA isn't everything (plenty of people would go to Harvard at Sticker over Columbia on a full ride), but you cannot pretend that it doesn't matter because you just want to impress potential employers with a different T2/3/4 school.


But he's not mentioning COA. For all you know he has full rides at both. He simply wants to know everything else out of the equation- which school has a better regional reputation. Don't lecture about tough love or COA or T2/3/4...he/we dont care. We see the same thing on every thread. Stop trolling.


LOL dude. Another shitlaw crusader with a head full of rainbows and shit. Both of these schools have shit reputations.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

TLS is tough love. You'll notice discussions ever once in a while about people who understand the risks of law school stumbling across friends IRL who are talking about law school much the same way OP is. They have an internal debate about whether it is appropriate to inform them of the inherent risks of attending a T2/3/4 at sticker. On the one hand, it would be a shame to allow them to fall into the indebted trap of law school with abysmal outcomes. On the other, it is not socially acceptable to dash someone's dreams and give advice when it is not asked for. On this forum, in this thread, we have removed the social strains attached to the latter consideration. Because of this, I am unshackled and able to tell OP that neither Drexel nor Hofstra is worth attending at sticker price. Cost of attendance is an incredibly important point of consideration, and the OP is already asking for advice. The first piece of advice: take COA into consideration. COA isn't everything (plenty of people would go to Harvard at Sticker over Columbia on a full ride), but you cannot pretend that it doesn't matter because you just want to impress potential employers with a different T2/3/4 school.


But he's not mentioning COA. For all you know he has full rides at both. He simply wants to know everything else out of the equation- which school has a better regional reputation. Don't lecture about tough love or COA or T2/3/4...he/we dont care. We see the same thing on every thread. Stop trolling.


He's not trolling. Neither of these schools has a good reputation, regionally or otherwise. The COA question becomes primary because if OP is paying anything significant for these schools, he is making a mistake.

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

OP- I'm from CT. From my experience in UG and in talking with numerous lawyers and pre-law advisors my opinion is that Hofstra has a better regional reputation. However, I honestly believe the two are quite close in reputation.[/quote]


Thank you for the information. I appreciate that you can provide information asked instead of putting forth unsolicited advice without knowing all the the information that factors into my decision making.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:
TripTrip wrote:-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

OP- I'm from CT. From my experience in UG and in talking with numerous lawyers and pre-law advisors my opinion is that Hofstra has a better regional reputation. However, I honestly believe the two are quite close in reputation.



Thank you for the information. I appreciate that you can provide information asked instead of putting forth unsolicited advice without knowing all the the information that factors into my decision making.


So you are, in essence, thanking him for an uninformed opinion?

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Both are terrible decisions.

coffeeaddict
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby coffeeaddict » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 pm

stillwater wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
TripTrip wrote:-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

OP- I'm from CT. From my experience in UG and in talking with numerous lawyers and pre-law advisors my opinion is that Hofstra has a better regional reputation. However, I honestly believe the two are quite close in reputation.



Thank you for the information. I appreciate that you can provide information asked instead of putting forth unsolicited advice without knowing all the the information that factors into my decision making.


So you are, in essence, thanking him for an uninformed opinion?


No. I am not. If you would read carefully, I did not ask whether or not I should attend one of these schools based on my personal circumstances, COA, etc. I simply asked for people's opinions on these two schools reputation and/or personal experience at these schools.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

OK OP. Both schools have unremarkable reputations. Drexel is better respected regionally simply because New York is oversaturated. Drexel has much cheaper tuition, which helps make it a slightly better option.

bananapeanutbutter
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 pm

coffeeaddict wrote:
stillwater wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
TripTrip wrote:-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

OP- I'm from CT. From my experience in UG and in talking with numerous lawyers and pre-law advisors my opinion is that Hofstra has a better regional reputation. However, I honestly believe the two are quite close in reputation.



Thank you for the information. I appreciate that you can provide information asked instead of putting forth unsolicited advice without knowing all the the information that factors into my decision making.


So you are, in essence, thanking him for an uninformed opinion?


No. I am not. If you would read carefully, I did not ask whether or not I should attend one of these schools based on my personal circumstances, COA, etc. I simply asked for people's opinions on these two schools reputation and/or personal experience at these schools.

The reputations are both really bad.

I would say Hofstra's is better to employers and in general, because it isn't the worst regarded school in NY as there is Touro and NYLS. There are also several very successful solos and small law firms from the baby boomer generation. However, the general academic reputation is very low - people there are not very smart for the most part, and I know someone there who is in the top 2% of his class who didn't get a summer associate gig for his 2l summer with pretty decent social skills.

It is also a terrible place to be, as it is probably the worst part of Long Island QOL wise, and now the Islanders are leaving too but that's besides the point. The point is it's not sufficient in this economy for most jobs, and it doesn't have a great reputation and never did. In the best of days, Cardozo was considered an okay to pretty good law school, and Hofstra would be considered slightly under less okay.

The only positive thing I heard about it was when I was driving a taxi for shits and giggles while studying for the LSAT in the area to make some cash while studying. One of the other drivers, who was a heroine addict but a nice guy would always show off about his cousin in Hofstra Law when he saw me study. He was the only person who held Hofstra in high esteem, but he was a nice guy though despite all the heroine. The issue is he isn't hiring.

But still Hofstra is a few notches over Drexel, because Drexel is the absolute laughing stock of the Philadelphia legal world. I have a friend who is a 1L at Temple and another friend who is a former part time professor at Temple, and they both speak very ill of Drexel's reputation. Drexel has no alumni base. Hofstra has some people who are likely loyal to the school. I know a solo who needed a second lawyer for what seemed like a 35-40k and he went the Hofstra route.

Sorry, if this is rambling. Just typed quickly, but this is honest feedback about these schools from someone with Long Island and Philly ties.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Drexel or Hofstra

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Well Drexel clocked in at 46.5% employed in full-time long-term legal jobs while Hofstra clocked in at 51.2% full-time long-term legal jobs. I think those give you a general sense about employers opinions of the schools: about half of each class could not get a single employer to hire them for a full-time long-term legal job. Prestigious employers expect you to be in the top 5% of your class at these schools. I think that also reflects poorly on employers' opinions of these schools.

TheNextAmendment wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:TripTrip-> OP has mentioned numerous times now that he does not care about the rankings or prestige. He is simply looking for a very simple objective opinion on which school has a better regional reputation. He understands these are not even T50, so stop making the kid feel bad and either give him advice or dont post. This isn't the halo forums...have some respect.

TLS is tough love. You'll notice discussions ever once in a while about people who understand the risks of law school stumbling across friends IRL who are talking about law school much the same way OP is. They have an internal debate about whether it is appropriate to inform them of the inherent risks of attending a T2/3/4 at sticker. On the one hand, it would be a shame to allow them to fall into the indebted trap of law school with abysmal outcomes. On the other, it is not socially acceptable to dash someone's dreams and give advice when it is not asked for. On this forum, in this thread, we have removed the social strains attached to the latter consideration. Because of this, I am unshackled and able to tell OP that neither Drexel nor Hofstra is worth attending at sticker price. Cost of attendance is an incredibly important point of consideration, and the OP is already asking for advice. The first piece of advice: take COA into consideration. COA isn't everything (plenty of people would go to Harvard at Sticker over Columbia on a full ride), but you cannot pretend that it doesn't matter because you just want to impress potential employers with a different T2/3/4 school.


But he's not mentioning COA. For all you know he has full rides at both. He simply wants to know everything else out of the equation- which school has a better regional reputation. Don't lecture about tough love or COA or T2/3/4...he/we dont care. We see the same thing on every thread. Stop trolling.


This is asinine. If he has full rides at both and he wants advice, it is stupid to hide the ball. If he had full rides, then he should tell us bc he'd probably get somewhat more positive advice if they didn't have stipulations. One of these schools with a full ride could maybe be an all right choice in the right circumstances. But paying tuition for them is per se unreasonable, even if it your savings or your parents' money or whatever. It is like setting money on fire. It has nothing to do with prestige. It has to do with employment prospects.

I will note, though, that other non-elite NY and PA schools are doing basically as badly as Drexel and Hofstra (all are around 50% FT/LT legal jobs), so if your choices are like Cardozo/Brooklyn/Villanova/Temple at near-sticker v full-ride at Drexel or Hofstra, retake>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>full-ride Drexel/Hofstra (drop out if you lose scholarship)>>>>>>>>>>join circus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cardozo/Brooklyn/Temple/Villanova at near sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests