Practicing Law in Seattle

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
postard

Practicing Law in Seattle

Postby postard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm

My end goal out of law school at this point is to return to my home city of Seattle, Washington and practice either corporate law or IP litigation. So, at the moment, as I am weighing my offers of admission I'm trying to decide between three schools:

University of Washington, at 24k/year (for in-state tution plus a modest scholarship) plus COL
University of Chicago, at full price minus a 5k/year merit scholarship, or...
UC Berkeley, at what I can assume would be full price for out of state unless they accept my matching scholarship request.

Any advice on making this (privileged) decision would be most appreciated.

IAFG

Re: Practicing Law in Seattle

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Looks like no tech background?

postard

Postby postard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Yeah, I talked to a Berkeley grad working in IP litigation in the Bay Area who had the same major as me in UG (history). He said the background definitely helps with the job search, but doesn't necessarily preclude you from working in patents. He eventually went back to community college just to get the credits required for the patent bar, but he's never actually had to use it yet. It just makes you less attractive because you can't work by yourself if the case requires a patent bar holder. He said Chicago, fwiw.
Last edited by postard on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 pm

IAFG wrote:Looks like no tech background?

Do you have a tech background? Otherwise IP will be hard to come by.

Grats on your acceptances! :)

What is the CoA for each?

Berkeley and Chicago are not bad choices for Seattle.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm

I would slightly lean Berk just because I suspect more Seattle firms will recruit there, more Seattle firms will have Berk alums, and if you miss Seattle and have to settle for something else for a few years, my perception is that the work in CA and Seattle is pretty similar/for similar clients. But that's a slight lean, and only if they match money (I think they will).

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 am

This is a tough choice!

UW and their scholarships, heh. Grats on being one of the few to receive one, btw!

I think going to Chicago or Berkeley is the safer route to being able to pay back your loans through biglaw. There are not that many biglaw jobs each year in Seattle, but Berkeley and Chicago will give you opportunities to succeed in other, larger markets in addition to Seattle biglaw.

If you are Seattle or bust, then I would choose UW. I say this because most of the biglaw firms in Seattle, especially the ones who hire the most (DWT, Perkins Coie, Stoel Rives) don't pay their starting associates 160k.

Paying down close to 300k in debt with 160k a year is hard enough. Doing that while getting paid 120-125k just makes things sooooooo tough I would imagine. Even with no state income tax.

DWT
http://employers.nalpdirectory.org/empl ... 2253%22%7D

Perkins Coie

Stoel Rives

Privileged or not, your decision is a tough one. Good luck!

postard

Postby postard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Those compensation statistics are incredibly helpful. Thanks. 120k versus 160k is significant, especially if it was to pay down a smaller set of loans, although living in Seattle is cheaper than the Bay Area (about the same/slightly more expensive than Chicago from my research).

I don't think I'd mind as much working for a bit in California, versus Illinois, even if I eventually want to move back to Washington.

Plenty of food for thought. I've got about a month before I have to put some cash down at Chicago or UW (already took advantage of the "Tentative" accept at Berk).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”