Could UNC get me back to Texas? Hold out for Wake?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SouthernSoul

Could UNC get me back to Texas? Hold out for Wake?

Postby SouthernSoul » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm seriously considering attending UNC in the fall. I'm currently a Texas resident, but spent a close to half of my life in North Carolina so I consider it home too and would be open to working in either state. Unfortunately, I was rejected at UT-Austin and WL-ed at Wake Forest. I have yet to hear from SMU. UNC is looking like a great choice for me.

Biglaw would be nice, federal gov work (HUD, especially) would be nice too I think, but I'd also be cool and comfortable doing civil work in a District/City Attorney's office. As far as my first job out of law school I'm open to living in Dallas, Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh-Durham area, Atlanta or DC.

I'm cool beginning a career in North Carolina, but if I ever wanted to move back to Texas, could a degree from UNC carry me that far?
Also, since I'm considering the possible portability of my degree, should I just hold out for Wake Forest in case I get in off the WL?

shifty_eyed

Re: Could UNC get me back to Texas? Hold out for Wake?

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

I read your previous posts, and it seems like you have taken the LSAT 3 times already, so I won't scream RETAKE. Also, your GPA is really what is holding you back, and nothing you can do about that now.

UNC to Texas may be a long shot, but I imagine after a few years of working in NC, you could move to TX. (This could be 0L optimism though, I have nothing to base this on).

UNC at in-state w/ NC ties is not a bad option with your stats, especially if you are dead set on law school.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:UNC to Texas may be a long shot, but I imagine after a few years of working in NC, you could move to TX. (This could be 0L optimism though, I have nothing to base this on).

UNC at in-state w/ NC ties is not a bad option with your stats, especially if you are dead set on law school.

This, basically.

SouthernSoul

Postby SouthernSoul » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:01 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I read your previous posts, and it seems like you have taken the LSAT 3 times already, so I won't scream RETAKE.

Lol thanks... though I do understand the benefits.

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of how portable a degree from UNC in the event that I decide I want to work in Texas sometime in the future.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:06 pm

SouthernSoul wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I read your previous posts, and it seems like you have taken the LSAT 3 times already, so I won't scream RETAKE.

Lol thanks... though I do understand the benefits.

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of how portable a degree from UNC in the event that I decide I want to work in Texas sometime in the future.

Once you've worked for a couple of years, I'd think your resume would speak for itself. If you're willing to start your career in NC, sounds like a good option.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Why do you think Wake is more likely to get you to Texas than UNC? Both probably give you about the same chance (very low), although your ties and connections will be invaluable if this is truly your goal.

Anecdotally, I know a handful of UNC students who got jobs in Texas biglaw through UNC's Texas interview program. This is of course not representative, but the existence of the program may give you a leg to stand on when you're trying to rationalize the decision to attend.

SouthernSoul

Postby SouthernSoul » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:07 pm

fish tacos wrote:Why do you think Wake is more likely to get you to Texas than UNC? Both probably give you about the same chance (very low), although your ties and connections will be invaluable if this is truly your goal.

Anecdotally, I know a handful of UNC students who got jobs in Texas biglaw through UNC's Texas interview program. This is of course not representative, but the existence of the program may give you a leg to stand on when you're trying to rationalize the decision to attend.

I don't necessarily think that, I was just wondering if I should keep my options open in case it had more portability (I'm not sure).

Thanks for that insight... The fact that there's even a Texas interview program is a good sign I guess.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”