Fordham vs. GW vs. BU/BC vs. UMN vs. WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Homelandsagreatshow

Re: Fordham vs. GW vs. BU/BC vs. UMN vs. WUSTL

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:40 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I would definitely go Fordham if you want NYC, especially with your circumstances, and if not then BU, as it has a comparatively solid placement in NYC and its close enough that you could network and do all of the off campus things if you want to with relative ease

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Is it just me, or are there a lot of real SPS Choosing a Law School threads to celebrate April Fool's?

Anyways, listen OP, your chances of snatching by luck a decent gov job from any of these schools is a real issue. Either drop your stated goals and perhaps take WUSTL, or, the better option, retake and reapply.

If you respond to my post by saying you can't wait another year for a retake and reapply, I'll know this is a lame April Fool's flame OP.

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Is it just me, or are there a lot of real SPS Choosing a Law School threads to celebrate April Fool's?

Anyways, listen OP, your chances of snatching by luck a decent gov job from any of these schools is a real issue. Either drop your stated goals and perhaps take WUSTL, or, the better option, retake and reapply.

If you respond to my post by saying you can't wait another year for a retake and reapply, I'll know this is a lame April Fool's flame OP.

You've obviously not read the rest of this thread, as I already said I exhausted all my LSAT takes. I did wait and retake and sit out a cycle. I would have to wait YEARS. I'm not going to repeat myself, read what I already posted earlier.

As for your condescension, it's not nearly as cute or clever as you think it is. It just makes you look like a pretentious jerk. These are my options. They are not optimal, it's not what I would have wanted, but they are not atrocious either. It's not a flame and it's not an April Fool's joke. Sorry if they don't live up to your standards. Not everyone can choose between Yale and Stanford, and it's not as if I asked whether I should attend Cooley or Thomas Jefferson.

What is it about WUSTL that would afford me better career opportunities? Any explanation would help.

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I would definitely go Fordham if you want NYC, especially with your circumstances, and if not then BU, as it has a comparatively solid placement in NYC and its close enough that you could network and do all of the off campus things if you want to with relative ease

Thanks for some actual advice! I'll be checking out BU as well next week. I'll see which I prefer. Is BU a better school overall?

ket310

Postby ket310 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm 0L but I have collected some info regarding job prospects regarding these schools

I got this data from ABA class of 2011 employment statistics, and made the numbers in excel program.

A3 clerkship + 100 or more private firms percentage
BC 33.73%, BU 24.58%, Fordham 33.15%, GWU 25.71%, WashU 25.18%

Government employment
BC 12.94%, BU 15.42%, Fordham 12.98%, GWU 18.22%, WashU 14.23%

Looking just strictly at numbers and your preference (you said money is not a factor), I would say either BC or Fordham would be your first top choice with GW being the third option, but I guess it also depends on your UG major. I don't recommend you going to either Minnesota or St. Louis unless you consider staying in the Midwest, they are not national school, although few people manage their way back to east coast. You have a lot more chance staying in the East Coast attending schools in the East Coast.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 am

just an fyi, the new data is out and BU did significantly better this year

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 am

UselessKnowledge wrote:I understand what you guys are saying, but these are my only options. If I don't get into Cornell, T14 will not be an option for me. Am I just fucked if I attend any of these schools? Based on my actual situation, dealing with reality as it is, is Fordham a terrible idea? GW and the rest: worse, better, or the same?

I don't think Fordham will be a terrible idea because it is so cheap. Check out the latest LST info. I don't know enough about the other schools to advise you.

Don't go to GW just because it is a T14. That is not a good enough reason. It won't serve your goals to go there just to say you went to a T14.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:55 am

NYstate wrote:
UselessKnowledge wrote:I understand what you guys are saying, but these are my only options. If I don't get into Cornell, T14 will not be an option for me. Am I just fucked if I attend any of these schools? Based on my actual situation, dealing with reality as it is, is Fordham a terrible idea? GW and the rest: worse, better, or the same?

I don't think Fordham will be a terrible idea because it is so cheap. Check out the latest LST info. I don't know enough about the other schools to advise you.

Don't go to GW just because it is a T14. That is not a good enough reason. It won't serve your goals to go there just to say you went to a T14.

Besides the fact that GW is in no way a T14....Georgetown barely is hahaha

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 am

NYstate wrote:

Fordham is cheap?

I am pretty sure that's 30k over three years. That would still be a TON of money for that school.

Did you get money from Cardozo? Cardozo for cheap cheap might be the option that I would choose if I couldn't crack into Cornell.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am

No....do NOT go to Cardozo .....

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 am

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:No....do NOT go to Cardozo .....

And your suggestion is for someone who doesn't know what type of law they want to practice to pay over 120K+ in tuition alone for Fordham? Total cost of attendance would probably be close to 200k

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 am

I think its a genuinely better idea given this...

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

personally I'd say retake/reapply/reassess your situation, but my opinion is also enhanced by knowing a guy that's in the top 30% at Cardozo that has yet to find a job, nearing the end of 3L. I would definitely take a school that can get you a job + debt, than a school that will leave you with a much smaller chance of a job and a little less debt

here's fordhams for comparison

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fordham

UselessKnowledge

Postby UselessKnowledge » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

I got the same scholly at Cardozo as I did at Minnesota. I'm not even going to visit. Their numbers are really not good. It's Fordham or nothing in terms of NYC for me. I'm visiting all of these schools next week to get a feel for them, the vibe and the lifestyle, the quality of the schools, and to see if I'd be willing to live outside of NYC. Thanks for the employment info. That is probably what I'm going to end up basing my choice on, but there doesn't seem to be a significant difference between all of these. If I get Cornell, I'm dropping everything and going for sure. Otherwise I'll just have to hope I perform decently in law school and hope my networking skills come through for me. I have connections in NYC already which is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward it. As for the retake/reapply advice, I would if I hadn't stupidly used up all my chances during a time when I was very ill. If anyone else can point me to more employment stats, that would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:No....do NOT go to Cardozo .....

Friends don't let friends go to 'bozo.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 am

if you want NYC and keep coa extremely low, I would pick Fordham

Return to “Choosing a Law School”