BU vs. BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby Informative » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm

The BU vs. BC debate has been going on for the last decade ever since BU caught up with BC in the rankings. Now they are pretty much even in US News and most rankings (I don't think any still have BC much higher than BU).

The debate is easily answered: they are both good schools. Both give you a 25-40% shot at proper biglaw (vault firms) unlike comparably ranked schools like WUSTL, Minn, Alabama, ND, etc., and both have fantastic professors and great reputations for schools ranked outside of the T14.

If you're debating between the two, do what generations have done before you: visit the campuses, check the housing costs in the different parts of the city, checkout the student bodies, and ultimately make a decision based on factors that are important to you.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Informative wrote:The BU vs. BC debate has been going on for the last decade ever since BU caught up with BC in the rankings. Now they are pretty much even in US News and most rankings (I don't think any still have BC much higher than BU).

The debate is easily answered: they are both good schools. Both give you a 25-40% shot at proper biglaw (vault firms) unlike comparably ranked schools like WUSTL, Minn, Alabama, ND, etc., and both have fantastic professors and great reputations for schools ranked outside of the T14.

If you're debating between the two, do what generations have done before you: visit the campuses, check the housing costs in the different parts of the city, checkout the student bodies, and ultimately make a decision based on factors that are important to you.

So u agree bc is garbage...see everyone!?

floydthebarber518
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby floydthebarber518 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

.
Last edited by floydthebarber518 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

elm84dr
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby elm84dr » Wed May 01, 2013 4:12 pm

floydthebarber518 wrote:As I've stated on this thread before, because of the miniscule differences between the two schools, the best school would be the one that will be the cheapest. After this metric, it should be the feel of the school, campus, bar life (god know this is very important).

With that said, BC is offering me 25k/year while BU (after negotiating w/ BC's offer) is offering 20K/year. I'm wondering if this is a big enough difference for me to COMPLETELY forgo any other metric than cost...


I think the great BU professors (and lower cost for the tuition) make up for the 15K difference over three years.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby Informative » Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 pm

I would go with the cheapest option. If BC is offering you a better scholarship, I would take it. Consider also that you're cost of living can be lower at BC by living in the more suburban areas around the school rather than living in an expensive apartment in the city.

This is regardless of the fact that BC has slightly better biglaw placement stats, nicer campus, more national name recognition, etc. which are all nice facts, but at the end of the day, these schools are practically the same and you should consider the cheaper option.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby stillwater » Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Informative wrote:I would go with the cheapest option. If BC is offering you a better scholarship, I would take it. Consider also that you're cost of living can be lower at BC by living in the more suburban areas around the school rather than living in an expensive apartment in the city.

This is regardless of the fact that BC has slightly better biglaw placement stats, nicer campus, more national name recognition, etc. which are all nice facts, but at the end of the day, these schools are practically the same and you should consider the cheaper option.


i admire the fact after all these years you are still trolling for BC. at least youve honed your craft to be more subtle and less ridiculous than in years past. sir, i salute you!

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed May 01, 2013 7:34 pm

I wouldn't do either with 120K in debt. The chances at Biglaw or A3 are way too slim at both. It seems like you at least have some fallback options, which helps a bit. But do you really want to gamble 120K that you'll finish in the top third plus have enough work experience and ties to get you in the door? That 120K starts to look a lot bigger once you are stuck in a job that you never actually wanted. The only real lock on Boston biglaw (prior to finishing 1L at any school) would probably be a mix of your ties, some decent work experience, and attending HYS or another T14 with somewhat decent grades.

Your idea that BC has an easier curve than BU because of LSAT scores or GPA is just wrong, so don't base any decision on that. Also, for what it's worth, BC's class size has also dropped and, according to the dean, will drop pretty significantly this upcoming year as well. According to him, there will also be an increase in funding for incoming students. Of course, there was no mention about what effect that will have on (my) BC students' tuition. My guess is that the increased funding won't mean squat when the jack tuition 7% to subsidize it. Point being, before enrolling at BC or really any school, you should at least know this stuff or possibly even request that any scholarship you receive be tied to increases in tuition.

qwertyboard
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 am

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby qwertyboard » Wed May 01, 2013 7:44 pm

stillwater wrote:
colonelnerd wrote:
stillwater wrote:
DaRascal wrote:BC just seems like a great law school. It would be a great decision for anyone to attend such a school at sticker.


This must have been sarcasm.


judging by DaRascal's history, no.


3 weeks late but no he is not joking. Sadly, I think he made up his decision to attend BC at sticker and piling on massive DEBT. He could get into a top 20 if he rethinks his strategy but he can't wait another year (sarcastic).

quesniot
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby quesniot » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 am

.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby rambleon65 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Wanted to bump one of the questions somebody asked above:

Is 5k/year (15K total) close enough of a difference between these schools that I could base which school to go to by how I felt upon visiting both schools?

(this is assuming i fail at my last ditch effort to get each other to match)

Greatly appreciate any feedback!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 pm

rambleon65 wrote:Wanted to bump one of the questions somebody asked above:

Is 5k/year (15K total) close enough of a difference between these schools that I could base which school to go to by how I felt upon visiting both schools?

(this is assuming i fail at my last ditch effort to get each other to match)

Greatly appreciate any feedback!


Eh. Yes, if you have a clear preference.

Also basically with that close $, BC if your catholic, BU otherwise lol

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby rambleon65 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rambleon65 wrote:Wanted to bump one of the questions somebody asked above:

Is 5k/year (15K total) close enough of a difference between these schools that I could base which school to go to by how I felt upon visiting both schools?

(this is assuming i fail at my last ditch effort to get each other to match)

Greatly appreciate any feedback!


Eh. Yes, if you have a clear preference.

Also basically with that close $, BC if your catholic, BU otherwise lol


haha thank you very much for your input. I just sent over a final reconsideration request, *knock on wood*

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby DaRascal » Sat May 18, 2013 10:45 am

No way. BC and BU are not on the same level. BC is way bettter imo. It should be ranked alongside UCLA and UT-Austin because of its powerful biglaw placement.

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby WanderingPondering » Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 am

DaRascal wrote:No way. BC and BU are not on the same level. BC is way bettter imo. It should be ranked alongside UCLA and UT-Austin because of its powerful biglaw placement.


Just stop.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby rambleon65 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:58 am

DaRascal wrote:No way. BC and BU are not on the same level. BC is way bettter imo. It should be ranked alongside UCLA and UT-Austin because of its powerful biglaw placement.



What is this...I just... I don't.... Huh?

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby DaRascal » Sat May 18, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm not saying BC is better than a T20 school like UCLA for overall job prospects but everyone here would agree that they're near equals for biglaw. What UCLA is to LA, BC is to Boston. I'm just saying that if I was OP I'd go with BC because it would be a more mobile degree than BU. :wink:

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby stillwater » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 pm

DaRascal wrote:I'm not saying BC is better than a T20 school like UCLA for overall job prospects but everyone here would agree that they're near equals for biglaw. What UCLA is to LA, BC is to Boston. I'm just saying that if I was OP I'd go with BC because it would be a more mobile degree than BU. :wink:


your schtick is awful. you are an awful poster. just stop.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby DaRascal » Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 pm

stillwater, why do you dislike Boston College so much?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby stillwater » Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 pm

DaRascal wrote:stillwater, why do you dislike Boston College so much?


i don't dislike it at all. in fact, i like it. that doesn't change the fact that your assertions are completely unmoored from reality.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 pm

stillwater wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I'm not saying BC is better than a T20 school like UCLA for overall job prospects but everyone here would agree that they're near equals for biglaw. What UCLA is to LA, BC is to Boston. I'm just saying that if I was OP I'd go with BC because it would be a more mobile degree than BU. :wink:


your schtick is awful. you are an awful poster troll. just stop.

User avatar
stuckinthemiddle
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sat May 18, 2013 10:45 pm

DaRascal is so pro-BC because he's trying to justify the choice to himself.

No. Just no.

BCPride
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby BCPride » Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
elm84dr wrote:
AllTheLawz wrote:
I should be more specific. I am talking about for major firms in Boston. There are probably around 175 major firm SA openings each year in Boston these days. 50 or so of these go to HLS, Boston produces a lot of people who go to top schools so lets say another 20-30 go to T14 students w/ Boston ties.. account for top students from random schools throughout the country and BU/BC are probably fighting for 50-75 major firm SAs in Boston between them. Clearly back of the envelope calculation but I don't think that sounds unreasonable and don't consider either good options for Boston if we are talking about major firms. If smaller firms, gov't and other things are added in then I agree that my statement might sound like hyperbole.


Okay, if limited to Wilmer/Goodwin/Ropes then yes, BC/BU really have no real edge over other schools. HLS and Top 14 w/Boston ties come first in the pecking order.


Unfortunately, that ~175 would include Ropes (40-55), Wilmer (25-35), Goodwin (25-30), Choate (12-20), Bingham (~10), Foley Hoag (~15), Skadden (5-10), Edwards Wildman (~5), Mintz Levin (5-10), etc. Boston is just a real small market and (according to what I have been told) will be small for the foreseeable future. I would really warn people about BU/BC at a high price.


I would like to preface my statement that everyone who said the schools are incredibly similar in terms of job placement is right. Get the grades at either, you're fine. In Boston or elsewhere. Don't...and your employment outcomes could be suspect.


I originally intended to write how his estimates for Boston SA placement seemed too small. I actually think they are almost exactly spot on. I did a quick count of how many SA's BC has going to each of these firm's Boston offices and it was 30. I might have miscounted slightly, but by no more than 1-2. Ropes hiring was WAY down (4 I believe) but Wilmer is taking around 12.

With that said, this number did not include people going to other Major firms with (admittedly small) Boston offices. I Know BC SAs going to Cooley, Latham's new office, Nutter (how could you forget Nutter??), Sullivan & Worcester, Jones Day, Brown Rudnick, etc.

We have somewhere between 30-50 people going to major Boston firms (NLJ250), but just the firms listed I would guess we are sending 30 and BU around 25 (the delta going to their larger placement in other cities). This would mean the 50-75 estimate is pretty spot on. But again, there are other major firms in Boston, so I would say people going to major firms in Boston is a bump higher.


In the interests of painting a complete picture, the number did not include the people going to V100 firms in NYC. I counted 12, though I might be missing people. This number also did not include people going large firms in other cities. Off the top of my head alone I count 5.

BCPride
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby BCPride » Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 am

I would also like to say that when I decided BC over BU money was by far the biggest factor, but feel is significant. BC is VERY collegial (read: we all get drunk together...a lot). The school atmosphere is very pleasant, people will always share notes and outlines, help each other out if struggling, and invest their time in making the school a better place. BC students generally all live near each other and hang out together, hence the feeling of community. I got the impression that BU students didn't have the same environment when I visited.

The talk about location is true but some of these comments have been ridiculously exaggerated. No one at BC (well almost) lives next to the school in suburban Newton. We all live in Cleveland Circle. This is a short ride on the B line from the Alston bars and a relatively short D line ride to downtown. Lets be real, the time it takes to get from Reservoir (where BC students live) to Government Center on the D is the same as it takes to get from any of the BU stops to Government Center on the B. And if you hear anyone defending the B line, you know they are full of ****.

If the difference is $5k per year or less visit each and you will know where you feel more at home. Even if the difference in aid is bigger, if you really prefer one, call and they will probably match.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby Blindmelon » Sun May 19, 2013 2:22 pm

BCPride wrote:I would also like to say that when I decided BC over BU money was by far the biggest factor, but feel is significant. BC is VERY collegial (read: we all get drunk together...a lot). The school atmosphere is very pleasant, people will always share notes and outlines, help each other out if struggling, and invest their time in making the school a better place. BC students generally all live near each other and hang out together, hence the feeling of community. I got the impression that BU students didn't have the same environment when I visited.


Everyone I've talked to about BC makes it sound like an extension of college. If you're straight out, thats probably a good thing. If you're not, you might find BU more inviting.

BCPride
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby BCPride » Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
BCPride wrote:I would also like to say that when I decided BC over BU money was by far the biggest factor, but feel is significant. BC is VERY collegial (read: we all get drunk together...a lot). The school atmosphere is very pleasant, people will always share notes and outlines, help each other out if struggling, and invest their time in making the school a better place. BC students generally all live near each other and hang out together, hence the feeling of community. I got the impression that BU students didn't have the same environment when I visited.


Everyone I've talked to about BC makes it sound like an extension of college. If you're straight out, thats probably a good thing. If you're not, you might find BU more inviting.



I took 2 years off and love BC, but to each their own.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests