BU vs. BC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
colonelnerd

BU vs. BC

Postby colonelnerd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 am

I know that this topic has been discussed in past threads, but I want to reboot the conversation because of a few recent developments. Conventional wisdom has said that BC is better for Boston, while BU is better for NY/rest of the country, but is this still the case?

1. BU has just reduced it's class size dramatically, to around 210, making their admissions standards significantly higher than BC's. Do you think that this will decrease their rate of unemployment? Will it make a JD from BU more desirable/more likely to get you a good job?

2. Alternatively, for someone who wants to get the grades requisite of BigLaw, would it be in your best interest to go to BC? If there are more people, who have lower admissions scores, wouldn't it help you on the grade curve?

3. BC's BigLaw+AIII Clerkship numbers over the past three years have been on a consistently downward trend, while BU's seem to be going up.

What are your thoughts on all of this? As someone who has equal money at both (total indebtedness at graduation will be about $120k) and definitely wants to work in Boston Biglaw, what is the better choice?

Nova

Re: BU vs. BC

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 am

colonelnerd wrote: Alternatively, for someone who wants to get the grades requisite of BigLaw, would it be in your best interest to go to BC? If there are more people, who have lower admissions scores, wouldn't it help you on the grade curve?

The above should not be a consideration. The difference between the median kid having a 164/3.6 or a 166/3.7 is insignificant.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 am

I know it's not reflected in the rankings but BC just feels like a way better school than BU.
It's the Disneyland of Law Schools! :P

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 am

If you are set on big law (Boston or otherwise) neither should be your choice.
Also, is that 120k after interest, tuition increases of 3-5% per year and CoL?

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 am

ImNoScar wrote:If you are set on big law (Boston or otherwise) neither should be your choice.
Also, is that 120k after interest, tuition increases of 3-5% per year and CoL?

Yes, that is after interest, tuition increases, and CoL.

I MIGHT get in at Cornell, but unlikely, and if I do it will be at sticker (basically another 150k in debt at graduation). I already tried to retake, so please don't suggest that.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 am

If you won't retake, that's fine, but think about how necessary big law is for your goals. What is your contingency plan if you are not in the top of the class?

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:55 am

ImNoScar wrote:If you won't retake, that's fine, but think about how necessary big law is for your goals. What is your contingency plan if you are not in the top of the class?

I have pretty extensive Boston ties: in Public Interest organizations, a state supreme court judge, and in a few small firms. My thought process is that even if I get median, worst case scenario is I can work in a small firm and just take a lot longer to pay off debt/work in PI and have it forgiven in 10 years (don't really want to do that, honestly).

Is this being overly optimistic?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:13 am

colonelnerd wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:If you won't retake, that's fine, but think about how necessary big law is for your goals. What is your contingency plan if you are not in the top of the class?

I have pretty extensive Boston ties: in Public Interest organizations, a state supreme court judge, and in a few small firms. My thought process is that even if I get median, worst case scenario is I can work in a small firm and just take a lot longer to pay off debt/work in PI and have it forgiven in 10 years (don't really want to do that, honestly).

That seems reasonable, and is dependent on how much of a big law or busy person you are (which it seems like you may not be). Also, your ties will probably help.

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:23 am

ImNoScar wrote:
colonelnerd wrote:

That seems reasonable, and is dependent on how much of a big law or busy person you are (which it seems like you may not be). Also, your ties will probably help.

Regarding what type of person I am, I like to think that I'd fit in in Big Law. I'm the president of my undergrad debate team, where we routinely spend multiple days (usually weekends) pouring over incredibly boring research, writing memos, and going to tournaments.

I have no delusions that this is even CLOSE to what biglaw is like, but I do derive a great deal of pleasure from endless research, trying to find minutiae with which to argue. I also generally don't have a problem with long hours or high stress--I'm the kind of person that's happiest when they're busy. I know that biglaw is a beast all its own, but does it sound like a potential personality match?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Didn't apply to either school, but Boston native with friends/connections that have attended/graduated BU/BC. And some connections with Boston BigLaw attorneys...But again, i'm still an 0L so take everything with a grain of salt...

From talking to the attorneys they all seem to agree that neither school has a definitive edge over the other. It's really much more about performance.

FWIW, i have 2 friends at BU and 2 at BC. All four of them finished around median after 1L. Currently they are 1. working at a public defenders office in Lowell 2. school-funded position that just expired (BU) 3. Found a job in Asia (personal connections) and 4. Small-firm in Greater Boston

I do imagine that it might be slightly easier to get a job if one of the schools has a smaller/decreasing class size.....but i dunno how significant the bump would be

ETA: I fully realize that my friends aren't necessarily an accurate depiction of what happens to median students. They could just have all been really lazy with their job hunt or just sucked at interviewing or something.

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm

That is exactly what I have been hearing as well. I went to a BU Alumni event last night and even they agreed that BU+BC are for all intents and purposes, on the same footing.

I think the major differences are:

1. BU is more national, BC more regional (in terms of alumni network)

2. BU's class size is shrinking (though still not sure the significance of this)

3. Urban vs. Suburban campus

Gahhhhhhh, I have 10 days to decide. This sucks

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 pm

colonelnerd wrote:That is exactly what I have been hearing as well. I went to a BU Alumni event last night and even they agreed that BU+BC are for all intents and purposes, on the same footing.

2. BU's class size is shrinking (though still not sure the significance of this)

FWIW I think most Boston natives would tell you to go to BC, but that's 100% because we're biased by BC's stronger lay prestige around here

jarak01

Postby jarak01 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Visit both campuses. Go on feel. They have very different feels. The difference academically is virtually zero.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:55 pm

BU hired a ton of its class back.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Did send significantly more big law associates and a few extra clerks

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:14 pm

colonelnerd wrote:That is exactly what I have been hearing as well. I went to a BU Alumni event last night and even they agreed that BU+BC are for all intents and purposes, on the same footing.

This. 1 thing to keep in mind though- BU's law school is 1 giant building. In my opinion BU is a better school because of its national reach, but the BU campus is worse than BCs.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

go to whichever's cheaper

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:26 pm

The 5 time yearly BU v. BC thread. Yayyyyy

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:28 pm

stillwater wrote:The 5 time yearly BU v. BC thread. Yayyyyy

I can create a Cooley vs TJLS thread if you'd prefer. :D

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:38 pm

BUT THERE HAVE BEEN RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Nova wrote:

BUT THERE HAVE BEEN RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

oh wait, you mean BU pulled into the lead????? waohhhh

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:50 pm

BC just seems like a great law school. It would be a great decision for anyone to attend such a school at sticker.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 pm

DaRascal wrote:BC just seems like a great law school. It would be a great decision for anyone to attend such a school at sticker.

no.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:go to whichever's cheaper

colonelnerd

Postby colonelnerd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

stillwater wrote:
DaRascal wrote:BC just seems like a great law school. It would be a great decision for anyone to attend such a school at sticker.

This must have been sarcasm.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”