Summer Start at Indiana Maurer. Yay or nay?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stars2134

Summer Start at Indiana Maurer. Yay or nay?

Postby stars2134 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi All,

I am considering doing the Summer Start program at IU-B. This program consists of taking a torts class from early july to early august. Because a 1L class will be taken in the summer, torts will be replaced with a criminal procedure class in the fall (still a full course load in the fall). If you have done summer start at IU or if you have an opinion/know anything about it, please chime in! Here's what I've learned so far:

pros:
- ease in to law school environment with one class
- adjust to the area because no one is on campus during the summer
- "small" group of 70 people-- heard everyone becomes really close
- get torts out of the way--opportunity for an extra elective?

cons:
- start law school early
- heard that summer starters are the most competitive students of the entering class
- have to find a sublet
- tuition? does anyone know how this works? I have a scholarship, so does it apply to this?

any help is much appreciated!

K Rock

Re: Summer Start at Indiana Maurer. Yay or nay?

Postby K Rock » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm

[
Last edited by K Rock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:16 pm

Also this probably isn't the best forum for your question. Try here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=88284

stars2134

Postby stars2134 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:40 pm

K Rock wrote:
stars2134 wrote:pros:
- ease in to law school environment with one class
- adjust to the area because no one is on campus during the summer
- "small" group of 70 people-- heard everyone becomes really close
- get torts out of the way--opportunity for an extra elective?

cons:
- start law school early
- heard that summer starters are the most competitive students of the entering class
- have to find a sublet
- tuition? does anyone know how this works? I have a scholarship, so does it apply to this?

any help is much appreciated!

I did summer start last year but only because I got to do it for free as part of my scholarship. You should e-mail admissions and ask how summer-start would work with your scholarship. My admissions letter explicitly said that if I chose to do summer start I wouldn't have to pay for it. I enjoyed summer start and I am glad I did it, but honestly I don't think it's worth paying for it. (I think it would have been like $6,000 or something if I didn't get it for free)

That said, if you can get it for free I would say do it. It will be extremely easy to find a sublet. Summer start is like 60 kids, and while I wouldn't say that we ALL became really close, most of my best friends were also summer starters, although I am friends with plenty of people who started in the fall as well. As a practical matter I don't think summer start really gives you any kind of real advantage / disadvantage in any way except that you will have to take a few less credits over your 2L / 3L years. Bloomington is fun over the summer though.

very helpful. Thank You!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”