UChi/Northwestern/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best Options

Vanderbilt: ~10k
47%
Texas: ~25k
7%
WUSTL: ~55k
7%
Chicago: ~140k
40%
Northwestern: ~185k
No votes

Total votes: 30

AltAnon

New

UChi/Northwestern/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL

Post by AltAnon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:00 pm

deleted
Last edited by AltAnon on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

courtneylove

Bronze

Re: UChi/Northwestern/Vandy/Texas/WUSTL

Post by courtneylove » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:10 pm

your preferred location after law school is st. louis? are you 100% sure? do you have ties?
i vote to take the vanderbilt money and not look back. i say this as a uchicago student. i know like two people in my class who even considered st. louis; if you have ties and spend your summers there you don't need a uchi degree to get a job. do not expect st. louis employers to consider your midwest law school a "tie."

AltAnon

New

Post by AltAnon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm

deleted

Solistus

Bronze

Post by Solistus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't think I could bring myself to buy down from UChi to Vandy. Big Law and public interest are both a lot more realistic out of UChi.

For a debt averse option, I feel the need to point out that UT is in the coolest city on the planet and Vandy is in friggin' Nashville. Just sayin'.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm

UChi

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catlawl

New

Post by catlawl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Vanderbilt seems like the correct choice due to the almost non-existent debt load. To reach the right answer, you should attempt to discover the grade cut off at large firms in St. Louis for UChi students. At Vanderbilt, the larger St. Louis firms at OCI, such as Bryan Cave, were seeking top 15% with law review/journal preferred. If the firms in St. Louis do not reach significantly lower in the UChi class, then Vanderbilt is the obvious choice. If the inverse is true, UChi may be the logical choice.

Additionally, because St. Louis is, by a large margin, your desired destination, keep in mind that the lower Vanderbilt debt load will allow you to more comfortably accept a job in St. Louis that does not pay at the market salary. This will allow you to expand your job search in St. Louis to a greater number of employers. If, in fact, you do not land a market salary job through UChi OCI, your financial situation will compel you to accept a market salary position in a less desirable location.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Get wustl to match your vandy offer 8)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Reminder: alts are not allowed.

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 pm

Solistus wrote:I don't think I could bring myself to buy down from UChi to Vandy. Big Law and public interest are both a lot more realistic out of UChi.

For a debt averse option, I feel the need to point out that UT is in the coolest city on the planet and Vandy is in friggin' Nashville. Just sayin'.
UT stands for University of Tokyo right? Because no way Houston is the coolest city on the planet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42 pm

eric922 wrote:
Solistus wrote:I don't think I could bring myself to buy down from UChi to Vandy. Big Law and public interest are both a lot more realistic out of UChi.

UT stands for University of Tokyo right? Because no way Houston is the coolest city on the planet.
... You know that UT is in Austin, right? Texas has multiple cities.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:47 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
eric922 wrote:

... You know that UT is in Austin, right? Texas has multiple cities.
Damn it. Now I feel foolish. Especially since Sinfiery just pulled out the Forbes article to completely prove me wrong in regards to Houston's coolness.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:55 pm

No worries, I visit Houston often and it's definitely not the coolest city in America (or Texas). Forbes is full of shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”