Newbie Needs Help Deciding Where To Put A Seat Deposit!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
csungrl09

Newbie Needs Help Deciding Where To Put A Seat Deposit!!!

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 am

Hey All,

I am a long-time lurker and I finally made an account because I desperately need advice on where I should attend.

Here are some facts first:

-I haven't heard back from UCLA yet. I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program. I will be attending if I am accepted. NO DOUBT.
-I am a veteran dependent receiving a fee waiver that I believe (not 100% positive how much this will save me) will cover atleast tuition at any UC.
-I want to go into academia. **Edited: This includes teaching at the Undergraduate/Graduate school levels. (not just law school)**
-I am wait-listed at both UCI and U of Richmond. If admitted to UCI & not UCLA, I would go...NO DOUBT.
-I have family in california and in the DMV area so cost of living is not much of a factor for me in those two places.

Here are my CURRENT choices (tuition rates include scholarships/grants/fee waivers):

Howard @ $21,000/yr.
U of Maryland @29,000/yr.
U of La Verne @ 19,000/yr.
U of Akron @17,000/yr.
U of D.C. @10,000/yr.

I am not hung up on school names. I am not considering re-taking the LSAT. I am debt averse (graduating with $60,000 or less is the goal. I plan to apply for scholarships the entire time i'm in school).

wwyd?
Last edited by csungrl09 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

RodneyRuxin

Re: Newbie Needs Help Deciding Where To Put A Seat Deposit!!!

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 am

I would retake.
Don't ask questions that you don't want to hear the answer to.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:24 am

Thanks Rodney, but like I said in the OP, retaking is not an option.

What do you think of the choices I have on the table?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 am

csungrl09 wrote:Thanks Rodney, but like I said in the OP, retaking is not an option.

What do you think of the choices I have on the table?

He's going to tell you they're no good, not at that cost, and insist that you retake.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:31 am

Retake, do something productive for the upcoming year... Profit

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:38 am

well thanks anyway y'all.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 am

csungrl09 wrote:Hey All,

-I want to go into academia.

Howard @ $21,000/yr.
U of Akron @17,000/yr.
U of D.C. @10,000/yr.

I am not considering re-taking the LSAT.

This is not including COL?

If you're not going to retake, the best and only option is don't go. You won't reach academia from any of these schools, guaranteed. You probably won't even find meaningful employment.

Maryland and Howard are the only not horrific choices. They both place just less than half their grads into full time legal work. They are both way to expensive for a normal person.

I guess either of those would be my choice if I didn't care at all about money (and had plenty of reserves) and didn't care about ever working as a lawyer.

For academia, it'd be easier to get a PhD in quantum physics from MIT than get into law academia from these schools.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:42 am

Lol, just give up on academia now.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 am

csungrl09 wrote:well thanks anyway y'all.

If you post a realistic situation, you will get great advice, even what you've gotten has been great advice. The odds of legal academia from any of these schools are worse then the odds of you becoming an astronaut with your JD. Either drop the academia goal, or drop the I wont retake deal, but with those goals/stips in place, these good people can't give you anything.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:01 am

WanderingPondering wrote:

-I want to go into academia.

Howard @ $21,000/yr.
U of Akron @17,000/yr.
U of D.C. @10,000/yr.

I am not considering re-taking the LSAT.

This is not including COL?

If you're not going to retake, the best and only option is don't go. You won't reach academia from any of these schools, guaranteed. You probably won't even find meaningful employment.

Maryland and Howard are the only not horrific choices. They both place just less than half their grads into full time legal work. They are both way to expensive for a normal person.

I guess either of those would be my choice if I didn't care at all about money (and had plenty of reserves) and didn't care about ever working as a lawyer.

For academia, it'd be easier to get a PhD in quantum physics from MIT than get into law academia from these schools.

LOL, I don't know why I laughed when I read this. I get it guys. My choice really is between Howard and UMD.

P.S. My PhD will come later. and thank you for actually answering the question within the boundaries of what I was asking.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:04 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:If you post a realistic situation, you will get great advice, even what you've gotten has been great advice. The odds of legal academia from any of these schools are worse then the odds of you becoming an astronaut with your JD. Either drop the academia goal, or drop the I wont retake deal, but with those goals/stips in place, these good people can't give you anything.

Don't listen to the naysayers. If he can do it, so can you.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:05 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:If you post a realistic situation, you will get great advice, even what you've gotten has been great advice. The odds of legal academia from any of these schools are worse then the odds of you becoming an astronaut with your JD. Either drop the academia goal, or drop the I wont retake deal, but with those goals/stips in place, these good people can't give you anything.

Don't listen to the naysayers. If he can do it, so can you.

You guys are too much.

:lol:

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:06 am

Well at least you have a positive, go getter attitude. That is a big plus in life.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:14 am

Tom Joad wrote:Well at least you have a positive, go getter attitude. That is a big plus in life.

+1

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:15 am

Tom Joad wrote:Well at least you have a positive, go getter attitude. That is a big plus in life.

I try. :D

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:18 am

csungrl09 wrote:

I try. :D

I like your attitude. By the schools you are applying to, you might live near me. If you ever want to get drinks sometime and talk about law school stuff just pm me.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:20 am

I am a long-time lurker and I finally made an account because I desperately need advice on where I should attend.

-I haven't heard back from UCLA yet. I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program. I will be attending if I am accepted. NO DOUBT.
-I am a veteran dependent receiving a fee waiver that I believe (not 100% positive how much this will save me) will cover atleast tuition at any UC.
-I want to go into academia. **Edited: This includes teaching at the Undergraduate/Graduate school levels. (not just law school)**
-I am wait-listed at both UCI and U of Richmond. If admitted to UCI & not UCLA, I would go...NO DOUBT.
-I have family in california and in the DMV area so cost of living is not much of a factor for me in those two places.

Here are my CURRENT choices (tuition rates include scholarships/grants/fee waivers):

Howard @ $21,000/yr.
U of Akron @17,000/yr.
U of D.C. @10,000/yr.

I am not hung up on school names. I am not considering re-taking the LSAT. I am debt averse (graduating with $60,000 or less is the goal. I plan to apply for scholarships the entire time i'm in school).

wwyd?

It doesn't appear you've lurked around long enough or you'd know these are not good schools and they are at very bad prices.

Here's what I would do:

Top Choice: Retake LSAT and reapply another cycle.
Second Choice: Call UC Hastings and UC Davis on Tuesday and ask if they'll accept a late application. If you get in there and can use the program, great.
Third Choice: Not go to law school at these places / prices. Go get a Masters in something and teach in the K-12 level.

I see Howard on the list. Are you black? If so, top choice becomes basically the only choice.

I live in Northridge and my fiancee just finished her grad work there this past year. Please please please take a good hard look and realize that postponing school another year or two is better than enrolling at those schools - especially at those prices.

lyra4

Postby lyra4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am

Is this a transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill or something different?

If it's a transferred GI Bill, yes, it will fully cover in-state tuition at any public law school. Schools do not have to give you in-state tuition if you're a resident of another state, but if you already live in CA, you should have that. Just make sure either the full benefits or enough months to cover law school were transferred to you. At private schools, it will give you about 18.000 a year. Yellow Ribbon eligibility can cover more, but you'd have to see if it covers you- for instance if the military member who transferred the bill to you is active duty & you are a spouse dependent, you can't use Yellow Ribbon; if you're a child dependent you can. More on the VA website;

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am

Why is retaking not an option?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:00 am

K Rock wrote:Why is retaking not an option?

This is the key. There are very few (if any) situations where potentially ruining your life is worth saving a year.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:25 am

Critical Race Studies Program.

Flame.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

lyra4 wrote:

Is this a transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill or something different?

If it's a transferred GI Bill, yes, it will fully cover in-state tuition at any public law school. Schools do not have to give you in-state tuition if you're a resident of another state, but if you already live in CA, you should have that. Just make sure either the full benefits or enough months to cover law school were transferred to you. At private schools, it will give you about 18.000 a year. Yellow Ribbon eligibility can cover more, but you'd have to see if it covers you- for instance if the military member who transferred the bill to you is active duty & you are a spouse dependent, you can't use Yellow Ribbon; if you're a child dependent you can. More on the VA website;

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/

I am not referring to the the post 9/11 GI Bill. I am eligible for the veteran dependent fee waiver program in the state of California.

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Critical Race Studies Program.

Flame.

:?:

csungrl09

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Redfactor wrote:

Howard @ $21,000/yr.
U of Akron @17,000/yr.
U of D.C. @10,000/yr.

wwyd?

It doesn't appear you've lurked around long enough or you'd know these are not good schools and they are at very bad prices.

Here's what I would do:

Top Choice: Retake LSAT and reapply another cycle.
Second Choice: Call UC Hastings and UC Davis on Tuesday and ask if they'll accept a late application. If you get in there and can use the program, great.
Third Choice: Not go to law school at these places / prices. Go get a Masters in something and teach in the K-12 level.

I see Howard on the list. Are you black? If so, top choice becomes basically the only choice.

I live in Northridge and my fiancee just finished her grad work there this past year. Please please please take a good hard look and realize that postponing school another year or two is better than enrolling at those schools - especially at those prices.

The question I was asking was simple, given the parameters I set (which included not taking the LSAT over again) what school would people attend? but instead I am getting other opinions. Did I know that this was a possibility when I posed the question? yep. But, I thought I'd give TLSers a chance to answer a question properly. Maybe I just wasn't clear in the OP, but I am getting some good advice.

Thank you for actually answering the question! k-12 level is out so a masters (which I did apply for and was accepted) isn't going to cut it. I think I will give Howard a shot.
Last edited by csungrl09 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
K Rock wrote:Why is retaking not an option?

This is the key. There are very few (if any) situations where potentially ruining your life is worth saving a year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”