Harvard (28k/year) vs. Chicago (Ruby)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Harvard (28k/year) or Chicago (Ruby)?

Total votes: 41

Harvard (28k/year) vs. Chicago (Ruby)

Postby levin892 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey All,

Obviously, there have been plenty of posts comparing HYS and Ruby/Hamilton decisions, but few take into consideration the amount of aid awarded by HYS.

I recently received my financial aid package from Harvard, and I was awarded 28k for the first year. Assuming it remains about the same for each year, that would be 84K over three years, or about 100k difference between Harvard and Chicago with the Rubenstein.

Career-wise, I'm interested in 2L SA ----> clerkship ---> big law firm with entertainment division. Pipe dream is to work in-house for a film studio or production company one day, though I am very aware that jobs like these are difficult to come by and I'm fully prepared to explore other options in the private sector.

My ties are in Los Angeles and Boston. I have very little in savings, and while I expect my folks to help out a bit, it won't be anything significant.

What do you guys think?

Re: Harvard (28k/year) vs. Chicago (Ruby)

Postby M458 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Just something to keep in mind, you probably won't be getting that 28k during your 3rd year if you get an SA your 2L summer.

Re: Harvard (28k/year) vs. Chicago (Ruby)

Postby sinfiery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I'd go with HLS for the portability to CA which is where most of entertainment law would be, I'd imagine.

What's it, approx 30k COA (10K coa if you 2l SA) vs 135k COA

Man, a ruby lets you actually graduate with $0 debt. Can't go wrong.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”