Is Columbia worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is Columbia Worth Sticker?

Yes.
68%
No.
32%

Total votes: 144

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Is Columbia worth sticker?

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm

pastapplicant wrote:such a tough guy aren't you? those 12K in posts must have really built up your confidence.
Well it's certainly not my shiitake-mushroom-shaped penis or my rampant eczema that's doing it.

P-salms

New

Post by P-salms » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm

:shock: :lol:

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm

This is too dumb to respond to, but I'm bored/procrastinating anyway.
pastapplicant wrote:dude do you even go to a T14 school right now? the amount of misinformation in your responses indicate that you are just another clueless 0L just spewing nonsense in every thread.
What school I go to doesn't matter at all. But if you're curious, I'm a 3L at one of CCN.
pastapplicant wrote:No, I am not overstating the importance of WE. Maybe you would know this if you did some form of screeners of callbacks or had direct contact with law firms.
Yes, you are. I've had lots of contact with law firms. WE is helpful but it is a distant third behind grades and interviewing ability.
pastapplicant wrote:And I meant that they do way better in terms of their actual grades. A lot of median students at T14 get passed over for people with "crummy" grades because of WE.
I really have no idea what to make of this statement. So, according to you, Student A (who is at median with no WE) will get passed over for Student B (who is bottom 10% of the class and spent a year waiting tables)? Yeah, that seems logical. Now maybe Student B was in i-banking for 3 years, wants to do corporate work, and interviews like a boss.In that case, maybe Student B would be the choice. My point is that a blanket declaration of "WE trumps grades" is simply dumb.
pastapplicant wrote:wtf are you talking about. it was already established that CLS was not worth sticker a long time ago. i was merely responding to your dumb post.
It was clearly not already established because there are people in this very thread who say that CLS can be worth sticker in certain circumstances.
pastapplicant wrote:clearly you haven't been here long because CLS's PI office has been known to be really bad for a while now.
My join date is earlier than yours. And I never said CLS had a good PI office; I have no idea what that relates to.
pastapplicant wrote:and in what world would it be smart to start investing in a nearly 300K education when you are unsure of what you want to do?
This world. Not everyone going to law school knows that they want to do M&A, or immigration, or personal injury, etc. If someone knows What It's Like To Be a Lawyer, I don't see how there is anything wrong with going to law school and seeing what subjects they're drawn to. Being open-minded is actually a characteristic of good law students and good lawyers. Maybe you'll get there someday (but I doubt it).
pastapplicant wrote:CLS's prestige isn't going to translate into PI at all. The amount of translates to academia or clerkships is negligible. it just shows how clueless you are when you actually defend going to CLS at sticker price for PI.
Again, I have no idea what you're basing this on. You think because CLS places most of it's students in biglaw that students can't get good jobs in other areas? Interesting. I'm not sure if you heard, but there's something called self-selection. In other news, Yale's clerkship prestige doesn't translate to those seeking biglaw.
pastapplicant wrote:Maybe you will learn but getting a decent PI job right now and before has been almost always harder than hitting big law.
It depends on the PI job but yes, that's generally true. Nobody is disputing that.
pastapplicant wrote: Just stop contributing to threads you know nothing about dude and passing out misinformation.
I think I'll hang around, mostly just to hear more about Bil's reproductive organs and skin diseases though.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:11 am

Paul Campos wrote:This is a cautionary tale in the making.

(1) OP is K/JD

(2) OP has zero WE.

(3) OP's reasons for going to LS sound suspiciously vague (What does OP mean by "public interest?" PD? DA? Legal services? Writing Brandeis briefs for the Environmental Defense Fund?).

(4) OP appears to know nothing about legal practice, as he notes that although he wants PI he's not averse to going to BigLaw for a couple of years to get "experience" Being a junior at a big firm is almost completely useless in terms of getting experience for any PI job. In addition, PI is getting more competitive all the time because of PSLF, and most PI employers have no interest in BigLaw washouts, since they can get top PI-committed people.

(5) There is no reason for a PI-committed person to ever go to CLS at sticker, since what CLS buys you (at $300K in debt) is a good shot at BigLaw.

In sum, OP appears to be a starry-eyed 0L who is thrilled by how he's getting into prestigious law schools, even though his reasons for going sound extremely dubious. He would be way better off taking his fancy undergrad degree and getting a job for a couple of years, preferably legally-related, but really any job would be better than K-JDing his way to $300K in debt while having some vague idea that he wants to be a lawyer of some sort. Plus this would give him a chance to bump his LSAT three points, which would be the equivalent of paying himself $150K.

x100 times.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 am

pastapplicant wrote:such a tough guy aren't you? those 12K in posts must have really built up your confidence.
Oh, he went there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Oh, he went there.
Too bad you've only got 264 poasts, bro. What a beta loser.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 am

Yeah, I should poast moar to build up DAT CONFIDENCE like Mel.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 am

quiver wrote:This world. Not everyone going to law school knows that they want to do M&A, or immigration, or personal injury, etc. If someone knows what it's like to be a lawyer, I don't see how there is anything wrong with going to law school and seeing what subjects they're drawn to. Being open-minded is actually a characteristic of good law students and good lawyers. Maybe you'll get there someday (but I doubt it).
$300k is an insane price to pay for a test-run.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am

bk187 wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:I think it's time we dispense with "Is X Worth Sticker?" threads here on TLS. The overwhelming majority of posters on this board are extremely pessimistic and will answer with a resounding no regardless of the school being considered.
Or, you know, a lot of people legitimately think that no law school is worth 300k debt. But yeah, your retarded explanation makes a lot of sense too.
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 am

Danger Zone wrote:Yeah, I should poast moar to build up DAT CONFIDENCE like Mel.
Get on my level breh. Once I hit 2K, I felt the Ron J enhancers kick it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Why do all of these Choosing a Law School threads become useless troll-hunting grounds for bickering b/t online strangers?

20 second bitch: I try to give informative/insightful answers from my experience and research and those of my peers but they always seem to get drowned out by posters nagging at each other over garbage. posting a question in this forum is tantamount to opening a pretentious digital chicken fight, why can't we stay on topic?
bitching over

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”