Waitlist Strategies

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gatorgirl2012

Waitlist Strategies

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:16 pm

I was hoping some of you could share any successful waitlist strategies/stories! I'm one of many TLSers that have been waitlisted by 5+ schools and personally, I'm banking on getting accepted by one of these schools. Any advice is much appreciated but here are my main concerns:

1) If you place a deposit at a school that's offered you a scholarship, can that be used to leverage money out of a school that takes you off their WL. I know there isn't much wiggle room, if any, if you're coming off the WL, but again, just asking!
2) Is it self destructive to not even place a seat deposit somewhere?
3) Do any other schools give reimbursements for deposits you placed at other schools? I was very surprised that Emory offers a tuition reimbursement if you accept their waitlist offer. At least you get to save $250!

Those are just a few specific questions I have, but considering there are so many other applicants in this position, any advice you're willing to share will be well-received! Also, just as a preemptive measure, retaking is not an option for me, lol. Thank you!

*Note, I apologize if this shouldn't be on this forum considering this is about waitlists. But this topic is mostly about choosing, so I felt it was more appropriate here! Also, there's a wider audience on this forum. Move it if you must, but I thought I'd try to justify!

sparty99

Re: Waitlist Strategies

Postby sparty99 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:I was hoping some of you could share any successful waitlist strategies/stories! I'm one of many TLSers that have been waitlisted by 5+ schools and personally, I'm banking on getting accepted by one of these schools. Any advice is much appreciated but here are my main concerns:

1) If you place a deposit at a school that's offered you a scholarship, can that be used to leverage money out of a school that takes you off their WL. I know there isn't much wiggle room, if any, if you're coming off the WL, but again, just asking!
2) Is it self destructive to not even place a seat deposit somewhere?
3) Do any other schools give reimbursements for deposits you placed at other schools? I was very surprised that Emory offers a tuition reimbursement if you accept their waitlist offer. At least you get to save $250!

Those are just a few specific questions I have, but considering there are so many other applicants in this position, any advice you're willing to share will be well-received! Also, just as a preemptive measure, retaking is not an option for me, lol. Thank you!

*Note, I apologize if this shouldn't be on this forum considering this is about waitlists. But this topic is mostly about choosing, so I felt it was more appropriate here! Also, there's a wider audience on this forum. Move it if you must, but I thought I'd try to justify!

I visited several waitlisted schools and was offered admission within two weeks of my visits. Also received scholarships. Visit the school.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:25 pm

tagging

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm

tag

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 pm

tag :mrgreen:

Zoomie

Postby Zoomie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

A law school student who went to USC told me one of his friends who was on the waitlist just showed up the first day of classes and ended up getting in. Seems a bit risky to me but I guess this guy really, really wanted to go to USC.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:20 pm

This has proved to be anticlimactic, pretty much like my application cycle...

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Visit the school so they know you're still quite interested. Follow any directions that they give you on the decision letter/email to stay on the waitlist.

In my case, I got in off two waitlists just by saying I was interested in staying on said list after I got the decision and nothing more. But that's just my case.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”