which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I attend?

Brooklyn (8k/yr) COL 35k+housing
3%
Miami (10k/yr) COL : 30k + housing
8%
Mercer (16k/yr) COL : 18k +housing
19%
South Carolina (24k/yr) 22k + housing
3%
BAMA (sticker)
68%

Total votes: 37

Sheffield

Re: which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

Postby Sheffield » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:Currently work at a law office in miami. Don't go to miami.

Why? And do you mean the city or the school?

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 pm

If you absolutely refuse to take the LSAT again, you better at least go to BAMA (not worth it at sticker, but if you have to go to one of these schools at sticker, go there).

clairepark21

Postby clairepark21 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 am

thanks for the advice every one. its really helping me shape my decision. i just dont know how i can justify sticker tuition. i was hoping that some people on these boards have done it and could vouch, otherwise i might consider just not attending or finding as much scholly as possible. although i could graduate from mercer with really little debt... given the schollys with virtually no stips and my housing situation there..

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:OP are these your only options? What about UGA/GA state with in state tuition? Also need COA for each school.

I want to echo this. GA State is not a bad choice at all and is one of the better value JD-for-sticker investments you can make (insofar as they are all relatively terrible at sticker, GA State is one of the cheapest schools with relatively good employment outcomes).

A few of the schools in that poll are guaranteed to ruin your life (Miami, Brooklyn), and even if tuition were free I'd have a tough time endorsing your decision to attend either.

I voted Bama, but at 22, you really should look into trying to get some gainful employment for a few years, then retake the LSAT a few more times. Law school will always be there, and with any luck in 2-3 years it may be a much better investment.

clairepark21 wrote:thanks for the advice every one. its really helping me shape my decision. i just dont know how i can justify sticker tuition. i was hoping that some people on these boards have done it and could vouch, otherwise i might consider just not attending or finding as much scholly as possible. although i could graduate from mercer with really little debt... given the schollys with virtually no stips and my housing situation there..

While I agree Mercer is not a terrible decision given your circumstances, I really think you should consider trying your best to get a job for a few years and then retake/reapply.

And to hit that wait/retake point home a little more, you won't find a single poster in the history of TLS who has said with any sincerity "I waited and I regret it!"

Skye

Postby Skye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Skye wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Skye wrote:Given your choices, wherever you go you will need to be in the top 25% of your class to be somewhat assured of employment. I’d pick Miami. Trump just bought a property there for hundreds of millions of dollars and called it the fastest growing and most happening city in the country. It is possible that Miami will be the first large southern market to step it up (after a prolonged dry spell).

This is the single worst piece of advice I've ever read on TLS. Thanks for the laugh.

Right on cue, the brainless zombie TLS maga posters from World War Z.

Please defend Miami at sticker. Id like to hear some legitimate reasoning.

There is no way to justify any of those choices at sticker. But of the options given, I picked Miami. Bigger city, BL firms practice there, etc.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Take the advice or leave it, but none of these schools are worth nearly what you are going to be paying for them.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

As often said on this site, if faced with the choice to have your left arm chopped off, your right arm chopped off, or neither, you'd pick neither. There's a 50% chance of more that any of these schools would essentially ruin OPs life. No one makes you go to law school. Retake or don't go.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 pm

which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

none

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm

These are all terrible, terrible choices at the prices.

clairepark21

Postby clairepark21 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 pm

UPDATE: so ive received a lot more scholarship through negotiations. now the COL are :
Mercer : 18/yr + housing
Miami : 30/yr + housing
South Carolina : 21/yr + housing
BLS : 35/yr + housing

does this shift the odds at all? I have been waitlisted at GSU, so i cant really bank on that :(
Thanks everyone, all the insight has been great for me

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 pm

clairepark21 wrote:UPDATE: so ive received a lot more scholarship through negotiations. now the COL are :
Mercer : 18/yr + housing
Miami : 30/yr + housing
South Carolina : 21/yr + housing
BLS : 35/yr + housing

does this shift the odds at all? I have been waitlisted at GSU, so i cant really bank on that :(
Thanks everyone, all the insight has been great for me

Nothing from BAMA though? My 2 cents- I would never consider Mercer, Miami, or South Carolina even with a full ride. I think BLS is okay simply because its in NYC (even though it has to compete with 5 better schools in the area at least it's a better market). Honestly though, talk to BAMA and see what they can do. Good Luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”