which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I attend?

Brooklyn (8k/yr) COL 35k+housing
3%
Miami (10k/yr) COL : 30k + housing
8%
Mercer (16k/yr) COL : 18k +housing
19%
South Carolina (24k/yr) 22k + housing
3%
BAMA (sticker)
68%

Total votes: 37

clairepark21

which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

Postby clairepark21 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:29 am

Hey everyone, im a 22 year old female whos dreamed to be an attorney her whole life. This Fall, ive been accepted to these schools. Im a GA resident, and its down to these 5 exclusively, as i am on waitlists/reject for all my other applications. I'm not geographically tied, so which school would be the best decision? I cant retake, so please assist me in choosing from this list! Thanks for all the advice <3.
Last edited by clairepark21 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Re: which law school to attend? BLS vs UM vs Mercer vs BAMA

Postby Redfactor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 am

This is going to be a bloodbath...

I think the best advice is to study the LSAT like you've never studied before (there are plenty of helpful guides and people here), retake, and reapply in another cycle. You are only 22, so I'm assuming you've just graduated. Work experience and the increased LSAT score will dramatically change the quality and price of the schools available to you in the future.

Invest in yourself by studying for the LSAT.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:40 am

Redfactor wrote:This is going to be a bloodbath...

I think the best advice is to study the LSAT like you've never studied before (there are plenty of helpful guides and people here), retake, and reapply in another cycle. You are only 22, so I'm assuming you've just graduated. Work experience and the increased LSAT score will dramatically change the quality and price of the schools available to you in the future.

Invest in yourself by studying for the LSAT.

This. Retake, see where you land. As a GA resident, you shouldn't shoot for any less than UGA.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:41 am

What is total CoA at Mercer (include interest and cost of livinh)

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:50 am

rad lulz wrote:What is total CoA at Mercer (include interest and cost of livinh)

OP's looking at ~150k. Less if OP has family in Macon who will let her stay cheaply or free. It's really not worth it for Mercer.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:31 am

For your whole life did you also dream of having $225,000 worth of debt at age 25-26? That's where your law school dream is taking you. Cost of attendance to these schools will be around $120,000k, but once interest is added, the actual bill you receive after graduation will be greater than $200,000.

Avoid these schools. Go somewhere that will give you a full ride.

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:16 am

Given your choices, wherever you go you will need to be in the top 25% of your class to be somewhat assured of employment. I’d pick Miami. Trump just bought a property there for hundreds of millions of dollars and called it the fastest growing and most happening city in the country. It is possible that Miami will be the first large southern market to step it up (after a prolonged dry spell).

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

Skye wrote:Given your choices, wherever you go you will need to be in the top 25% of your class to be somewhat assured of employment. I’d pick Miami. Trump just bought a property there for hundreds of millions of dollars and called it the fastest growing and most happening city in the country. It is possible that Miami will be the first large southern market to step it up (after a prolonged dry spell).

No

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am

Skye wrote:Given your choices, wherever you go you will need to be in the top 25% of your class to be somewhat assured of employment. I’d pick Miami. Trump just bought a property there for hundreds of millions of dollars and called it the fastest growing and most happening city in the country. It is possible that Miami will be the first large southern market to step it up (after a prolonged dry spell).

Do you frequently give advice on Yahoo Answers? I think I've seen your work before.

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 am

Br3v wrote:

Do you frequently give advice on Yahoo Answers? I think I've seen your work before.

No. I occasionally drop by here and our school board. That is about it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 am

The FL market is not doing well. And Miami at sticker is insanity.
OP, why can't you retake?

clairepark21

Postby clairepark21 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 pm

ive taken the LSAT 3 times in the past year or so... so i cant afford to wait that long. Mercers COL is not that bad, id look to graduate with 60k or less in debt, given my scholly and living situations, the rest of the schools id be full on sticker. thanks for the replys everyone.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Bama (roll tide) if you absolutely insist on not retaking.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm

clairepark21 wrote:ive taken the LSAT 3 times in the past year or so... so i cant afford to wait that long.

Why can't you afford to wait that long? Law school isn't going anywhere. And with the schools you're looking at (with the exception of 'Bama, which still isn't a good idea at sticker), your career isn't going to be going anywhere if you don't retake.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm

This is the single worst piece of advice I've ever read on TLS. Thanks for the laugh.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Yukos wrote:

This is the single worst piece of advice I've ever read on TLS. Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah wtf lol

I remember the first time I took Donald Trump's input to heart.

Skye

Postby Skye » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Yukos wrote:

Right on cue, the brainless zombie TLS maga posters from World War Z.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Do you go out of your way to offer terrible advice? I haven't seen many of your posts, but I do know that every single one I've come across has been utterly worthless.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:45 pm

clairepark21 wrote:ive taken the LSAT 3 times in the past year or so... so i cant afford to wait that long.

On the contrary. You can't afford not to wait that long.

These are all horrible choices. The job prospects do not come close to justifying the debt you'll take on at any of these schools.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm

OP are these your only options? What about UGA/GA state with in state tuition? Also need COA for each school.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, I saw Trump on Letterman the other night talking up Miami non-stop (Miami is the hottest city in the country... typical Trump promotional spiel) …. maybe there’s something to it. I could easily be persuaded to live in Miami.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Another question: does the Mercer scholly have any stips?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 pm

I heard the heavy workload at Mercer can make a student lose his/her head

Spritzpiggy

Postby Spritzpiggy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Skye wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Currently work at a law office in miami. Don't go to miami.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Skye wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Please defend Miami at sticker. Id like to hear some legitimate reasoning.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”