a good reason not to go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is a distaste for the south a good reason

Yeah, dude, the south blows.
52%
You're being a douche.
48%

Total votes: 75

whereskyle

a good reason not to go?

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Is a lack of interest in c'ville/all southern markets a legitimate reason to dismiss uva, or am i being a douche? Frankly, i want to get the hell out of the south, and I wish never to return. Is this a good reason to dismiss uva, or am i just being a douche?

whereskyle

Re: a good reason not to go?

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm

How I'm thinking about it... If I'm hoping to end up in Cali, I should probably go there.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Your ramblings confuse me. But yes, if you want to end up in Cali, you're should attend a CA law school or HYS. Preferably the latter, with an emphasis on SLS.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Thx for the responses, and, yes, kappycaft1, to make it more "uva" centered would make it more inclusive and useful to others, but I am also happy to have the results from a question directed specifically to my concern.

lawschoolwoohoo

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:00 pm

If you hate the South so much, don't go to UVA. The South is great, but if you're going to have a terrible attitude about it, you're not going to enjoy it anyway. If you're going to be miserable and hate on the south the whole time at UVA, people there will probably find you irritating, so you should probably just go to Cali instead.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:If you hate the South so much, don't go to UVA. The South is great, but if you're going to have a terrible attitude about it, you're not going to enjoy it anyway. If you're going to be miserable and hate on the south the whole time at UVA, people there will probably find you irritating, so you should probably just go to Cali instead.

Yeah OP. I am not fond of the South myself. You should do it like Notorious BIG use to say: I'm going going back back to Cali Cali.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Charlottesville isn't even that Southern. Do whatever you want OP.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

ironbmike wrote:Charlottesville isn't even that Southern. Do whatever you want OP.

Thx for all the responses. Excuse my jocularity above. I've lived in south fl my entire life, and Im mostly concerned about how quickly ls goes by and where exactly i will make connections. This is truly a results oriented question, tied up with greater life decisions et cetera. While uva is clearly more renowned nationally than say ucla, Im concerned about the geographic placement of grads. I might be able to truck it over to Cali after ls, but is that the wisest choice?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12 pm

don't move somewhere for 3 years you aren't going to like.. law school isn't just an employment decision its a large chunk of your early adulthood. you don't want to be counting down the 1,000 days from the beginning.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm

How are you planning on getting a job in CA without any ties to CA? The job market there is brutal from what I hear.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 am

BigZuck wrote:How are you planning on getting a job in CA without any ties to CA? The job market there is brutal from what I hear.

Family ties to LA, friends in the bay area. Cali means a lot to me personally. I spent a lot of time there as a youth, so I have a personal story of love for the place, but, yeah, I don't think there is any breaking into the market on the strength of those ties for me if I attend elsewhere. I don't think it's impossible from uva, but three years at sticker in c'ville seems a long time to me, when I have interest in D.C., but none in va or the south. Went to a suburban town (in the south) for college: i do appreciate the friendliness and openness of smaller town life. I think, however, I would feel that I had betrayed myself, if I moved to a college town in virginia. Priorities or what, y'all?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:46 am

whereskyle wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How are you planning on getting a job in CA without any ties to CA? The job market there is brutal from what I hear.

Family ties to LA, friends in the bay area. Cali means a lot to me personally. I spent a lot of time there as a youth, so I have a personal story of love for the place, but, yeah, I don't think there is any breaking into the market on the strength of those ties for me if I attend elsewhere. I don't think it's impossible from uva, but three years at sticker in c'ville seems a long time to me, when I have interest in D.C., but none in va or the south. Went to a suburban town (in the south) for college: i do appreciate the friendliness and openness of smaller town life. I think, however, I would feel that I had betrayed myself, if I moved to a college town in virginia. Priorities or what, y'all?

The fact that UVA is at sticker is the reason you should not go there, not the fact that it's in the South. Also anyone who calls it "Cali" does not deserve to live in California.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am

....poor biggie

Return to “Choosing a Law School”