IUB (COA:$0) or Baylor (COA:$26k) Texas ties are stronger

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to?

Indiana U-Bloomington (COA: $0)
4
50%
Baylor (COA: $26k)
4
50%
 
Total votes: 8

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

IUB (COA:$0) or Baylor (COA:$26k) Texas ties are stronger

Postby table3 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 pm

3.59
161/163/?
Waitlisted at UT. I'm gearing up for a retake in June.

IU-B 3 year COA w/ interest: $0
Baylor 3 COA w/ interest: $26,000

Edit for clarification: COA includes everything: tuition, books, mandatory fees, cost of living, etc.

I have casual ties to the midwest and strong ties to Texas. I'd be happy practicing in either location.

I'm not opposed to big law, but I'm not convinced it's what I want to do. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not interested (at least, not at the moment) in trusts/wills/family law. Gainful employment on a steadily rising salary track is the goal.
Last edited by table3 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Do these prices include cost of living?

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby ArchieHicox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

table3 wrote:3.59
161/163/?
Waitlisted at UT. I'm gearing up for a retake in June.

IU-B 3 year COA w/ interest: $0
Baylor 3 COA w/ interest: $26,000

I have casual ties to the midwest and strong ties to Texas. I'd be happy practicing in either location.

I'm not opposed to big law, but I'm not convinced it's what I want to do. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not interested (at least, not at the moment) in trusts/wills/family law. Gainful employment on a steadily rising salary track is the goal.


You don't have to pay for books, an apartment, food, car, etc. EVERYTHING is covered at IU-B?

cinnamonchurros
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby cinnamonchurros » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 pm

ha-ri wrote:You don't have to pay for books, an apartment, food, car, etc. EVERYTHING is covered at IU-B?


The dollar amounts refer to COA? I thought they referred to the scholarship money OP received.

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby ArchieHicox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 pm

I was under the impression cost of attendance included all elements (tuition, room and board, books). Perhaps he has family at IU-B and those costs are covered?

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby table3 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 pm

To clarify, I'm including everything in COA: tuition, books, mandatory fees, cost of living, etc. To be honest, I thought that was the definition of "cost of attendance." Sorry for any confusion.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Graduating with 26k worth of debt will not close any doors for you. The problems with massive debt is that you're generally stuck in a big law or bust mode which kind of sucks. 26k is nothing and you should treat the cost difference as negligible. Highly recommend you visit each place and talk to the students and go out to bars with them to just see where you're going to feel happier. I'd imagine living in warm and sunny Texas is preferable to poo ass Bloomington (Summer is nice!!! :roll: ) but figure it out. Maybe a Methodist school in Waco also is not a comfortable environment. I have no idea.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby StylinNProfilin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Graduating with 26k worth of debt will not close any doors for you. The problems with massive debt is that you're generally stuck in a big law or bust mode which kind of sucks. 26k is nothing and you should treat the cost difference as negligible. Highly recommend you visit each place and talk to the students and go out to bars with them to just see where you're going to feel happier. I'd imagine living in warm and sunny Texas is preferable to poo ass Bloomington (Summer is nice!!! :roll: ) but figure it out. Maybe a Methodist school in Waco also is not a comfortable environment. I have no idea.


You're underestimating how much Waco sucks.

tmoney
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby tmoney » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Graduating with 26k worth of debt will not close any doors for you. The problems with massive debt is that you're generally stuck in a big law or bust mode which kind of sucks. 26k is nothing and you should treat the cost difference as negligible. Highly recommend you visit each place and talk to the students and go out to bars with them to just see where you're going to feel happier. I'd imagine living in warm and sunny Texas is preferable to poo ass Bloomington (Summer is nice!!! :roll: ) but figure it out. Maybe a Methodist school in Waco also is not a comfortable environment. I have no idea.


You're underestimating how much Waco sucks.


That's true. Plus, it's actually a Baptist Mecca. lol

K Rock
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby K Rock » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Bloomington is an awesome place to live: great college town, cheap drinks, good bar scene, lots of good restaurants, very pretty campus.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm

K Rock wrote:Bloomington is an awesome place to live: great college town, cheap drinks, good bar scene, lots of good restaurants, very pretty campus.

word. check em out d00d

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: IUB ($0) or Baylor ($26k)? TX ties are stronger.

Postby table3 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
K Rock wrote:Bloomington is an awesome place to live: great college town, cheap drinks, good bar scene, lots of good restaurants, very pretty campus.

word. check em out d00d


Yeah, I've been to both Bloomigton and Waco. Bloomington wins, in my book. I'm just not sure how to factor my Texas connections into the equation.

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: IUB (COA:$0) or Baylor (COA:$26k) Texas ties are stronger

Postby byronmullens » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 pm

SMU or Houston not in the mix? Baylor is great for trial law, but SMU and Houston seem to have better placement to a whole lot of options, of course UT is the best option in Texas. I would say go Baylor because that amount of debt won't bother you and if you want to end up in Texas eventually, IUB will be a problem not a help. In general Texas is a much better market than midwest and will remain that way in the next 5 years.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests