Is Drake Law School Worth It?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Brixton

Is Drake Law School Worth It?

Postby Brixton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 am

Hi All,
I was always planning on applying to law school, but this winter I lost my job due to cutbacks and it abruptly moved my application plans up. Since I was caught off guard I only applied to one school this year, Drake. Well, last week I got an acceptance in the mail with a 75% scholarship with the stipulation that I need to stay in the top 1/3 of class. I had studied for the LSAT for a few weeks and got a 160 then applied this winter and a few years back I graduated with a respectable GPA around 3.8.

I'm convinced I could get a higher LSAT with more study (TLS has convinced me of that) so I'm wondering if it is worth it to attend this year or put off school and apply next time around with a higher LSAT and that GPA to "better" schools.

Additional context: I'm not planning on living and practicing in Iowa. I'd like to move to Texas, Colorado, or Virginia after gaining a law degree. I'm just afraid that attending Drake, while not making it impossible to get a great legal job, would make my career a constant David v. Goliath fight. I've been struggling with this decision and finally decided to ask those of you who might have greater insight.

Benjamin1987

Re: Is Drake Law School Worth It?

Postby Benjamin1987 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 am

Sounds like you've read enough of this site to know what the response to that question will be. The answer is always the same.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

Brixton wrote:Hi All,
I was always planning on applying to law school, but this winter I lost my job due to cutbacks and it abruptly moved my application plans up. Since I was caught off guard I only applied to one school this year, Drake. Well, last week I got an acceptance in the mail with a 75% scholarship with the stipulation that I need to stay in the top 1/3 of class. I had studied for the LSAT for a few weeks and got a 160 then applied this winter and a few years back I graduated with a respectable GPA around 3.8.

I'm convinced I could get a higher LSAT with more study (TLS has convinced me of that) so I'm wondering if it is worth it to attend this year or put off school and apply next time around with a higher LSAT and that GPA to "better" schools.

Additional context: I'm not planning on living and practicing in Iowa. I'd like to move to Texas, Colorado, or Virginia after gaining a law degree. I'm just afraid that attending Drake, while not making it impossible to get a great legal job, would make my career a constant David v. Goliath fight. I've been struggling with this decision and finally decided to ask those of you who might have greater insight.

Absolutely not. Drake isn't worth that much. That scholly stip is disgusting. You don't want to live in Iowa. You think you can do better on the LSAT and you still have two more retakes.

It couldn't be more clear. Don't go. Start studying for the LSAT. 170+ or bust. You can do it if you got a 160 after only a little prep.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 am

As an Iowan, although temporarily transplanted, I feel confident in saying that Drake is a fine law school if you're comfortable living and practicing in Iowa. While I do know a Drake Alum or two that practice elsewhere, I think you're setting yourself up for long odds to make that work, so my advice, as one who struggled with a similar question a couple of years ago would be that if you're not totally sold on Drake, then don't do Drake.

For what it's worth, when I visited Drake, and I did twice, I didn't find the faculty at all engaging and I was unimpressed by the quality of the student body as a whole. If you're still seriously considering Drake, visit and draw your own conclusions. For what it's worth, I think that a top 1/3 stip on a scholarship at any law school is a pretty big gamble.

I know its late in the game, but if you feel comfortable with a TT/TTT school, you still might be able to find schools still accepting applications, especially with the decline in applicants at most low schools over the last couple of years. I know that my school, Nebraska (now ranked #61 by USNWR) will accept a June LSAT for fall 2013. You might contact schools in your target market that are likely to accept students with your credentials and contact their admissions offices directly, explain your situation and see if they will allow you to apply. Who knows - as seat deposit deadlines approach, you might even find yourself with some money.

letsjustsee

Postby letsjustsee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:00 am

Last edited by letsjustsee on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

letsjustsee wrote: With a 3.8 and a strong LSAT, you will have MUCH better options. Go for the top regional schools in the areas you have ties and/or want to practice. With a high enough LSAT, you could also blanket the T14 and get great offers.

I saw a 3 8) and assumed it was a 3.0. If you have a 3.8, you NEED to retake. You have a lot of potential. Don't waste it. Get a 170+ and go to a T14 on a scholarship. You're in a good spot -- me and my 3.3 from a year ago are jealous.

Brixton

Postby Brixton » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 am

North wrote:
letsjustsee wrote: With a 3.8 and a strong LSAT, you will have MUCH better options. Go for the top regional schools in the areas you have ties and/or want to practice. With a high enough LSAT, you could also blanket the T14 and get great offers.

I saw a 3 8) and assumed it was a 3.0. If you have a 3.8, you NEED to retake. You have a lot of potential. Don't waste it. Get a 170+ and go to a T14 on a scholarship. You're in a good spot -- me and my 3.3 from a year ago are jealous.

It was a 8) at first because of how I typed it. These chat forum emoticons are smarter than I am. Ha!

I appreciate all of your thoughtful responses. Because I want to get to law school so badly it is a painful decision (yes, even though it is a TTT) to turn down the offer, but it seems that the longer term goal of practicing elsewhere just makes it a poor choice to attend Drake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”