Duke, Columbia, NYU, NU (sticker) v. UT (45k) v. BC/BU (90k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
walkingpanda

Duke, Columbia, NYU, NU (sticker) v. UT (45k) v. BC/BU (90k)

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 am

Edited.
Last edited by walkingpanda on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Re: Duke, Columbia, NYU, NU (sticker) v. UT (45k) v. BC/BU (90k)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 am

I think this might be one of those "don't go to law school" situations. None of those sound very promising to me.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am

I am perplexed that you got into Columbia, but didn't get $$$ in the T-14. Are you still waiting to hear back from anywhere?

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 am

framboozer wrote:I am perplexed that you got into Columbia, but didn't get $$$ in the T-14. Are you still waiting to hear back from anywhere?
Last edited by walkingpanda on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 am

walkingpanda wrote:
framboozer wrote:I am perplexed that you got into Columbia, but didn't get $$$ in the T-14. Are you still waiting to hear back from anywhere?

Waitlisted at Penn. That's pretty much it.

I've had a strange cycle. Waitlisted at UofM (withdrew), rejected at Cornell, for example.
I was waitlisted in Columbia last cycle. Raised my LSAT a few points and got in.

Can you share your numbers and type of URM? Very weird results from a cycle.

Also, when in the cycle did you apply?

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am

Redfactor wrote:
walkingpanda wrote:
Last edited by walkingpanda on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 am

BigZuck wrote:I think this might be one of those "don't go to law school" situations. None of those sound very promising to me.

A minority (AA from a more recent post) with a Columbia admission shouldn't go to law school? There has to be an astronomically small chance that he wouldn't receive at least one market paying offer.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 am

TheColonel wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I think this might be one of those "don't go to law school" situations. None of those sound very promising to me.

A minority (AA from a more recent post) with a Columbia admission shouldn't go to law school? There has to be an astronomically small chance that he wouldn't receive at least one market paying offer.

he's looking at 300k in debt...you know how many years of biglaw its gonna take to pay that off? probably wont last long enough.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 am

TheColonel wrote:

300K+ debt in NYC even with a big law salary sounds awful to me. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Eta: scooped!

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:
TheColonel wrote:

he's looking at 300k in debt...you know how many years of biglaw its gonna take to pay that off? probably wont last long enough.

That's my biggest concern. I get bored, really quickly. I've had like 10 jobs and in 7 years. My motto is MOVE ON. It visibly shows when I am bored.

On other hand, I entirely believe I can raise my LSAT to 170+. But what are the chances of getting a fully scholly from a t-14 with ~3 and 170+ for AA male?
Last edited by walkingpanda on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:44 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:
TheColonel wrote:

Fair enough, but that's an argument against attending any law school at sticker.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

The OP doesn't sound particularly responsible or good with money, I think law school is not a good choice even though he/she got into some amazing ones.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 am

BigZuck wrote:The OP doesn't sound particularly responsible or good with money, I think law school is not a good choice even though he/she got into some amazing ones.

I don't really know where you're getting that, but

walkingpanda wrote:That's my biggest concern. I get bored, really quickly. I've had like 10 jobs and in 7 years. My motto is MOVE ON. It visibly shows when I am bored.

seems like a real problem to me. With this debt load, you are committing the next 5-10 years of your life to this profession. Be real with yourself about that.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:54 am

walkingpanda wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
TheColonel wrote:

That's my biggest concern. I get bored, really quickly. I've had like 10 jobs and in 7 years. My motto is MOVE ON. It visibly shows when I am bored.

On other hand, I entirely believe I can raise my LSAT to 170+. But what are the chances of getting a fully scholly from a t-14 with ~3 and 170+ for AA male?

Dude... Do this.
I'm not positive of full rides are in order because of your gpa but a 170+ AA male is like the holy grail of URM applicants.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

Bad credit, easily bored, etc. Doesn't sound like investing so much money into being a lawyer is a good choice to me.

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

walkingpanda wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:
TheColonel wrote:

I can't say much on scholarship offers, but I assume you'd get some great offers. Regardless, are you sure law is for you? I'm just a 0L, but it doesn't seem like law is the kind of job that lends itself towards changing jobs every year or more.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am

sinfiery wrote:Dude... Do this.
I'm not positive of full rides are in order because of your gpa but a 170+ AA male is like the holy grail of URM applicants.

Yeah, but he should have scholarships to some of these places already. Weird cycle.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 pm

For the right person, Columbia at sticker is a good choice. But your situation sounds like anything but a full-ride is going to be risky. And, no offense meant, but 3.3/164 students are the types we read horror stories about graduating from a T6 and doing doc-review. If you are going to pay sticker (and HYSC are the only places I would), your heart better be completely in it.

Postby 02889 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 pm

I think a career in law offers as much potential to change jobs as most other fields. It's not, for example, medicine where pediatrics is pediatrics and whether you're in an office or a hospital, it's the same day ad nauseam for life.

Once you graduate law school, you could aim for a string of 1-2 year clerkships and/or fellowships, followed by spending a couple of years here and there. You might not escape "law" if that's what you're bored with, but bouncing between a firm, government, nonprofits, and back again is hardly unheard of.

In your situation, at sticker, I'd attend either CLS or NYU depending on which you like more. Yes the debt makes it a risk, but if you'd really like to attend law school, it's still a great option. Following the advice of others and retaking for some better scholarship offers next year is a smart path as well.

walkingpanda

Postby walkingpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:For the right person, Columbia at sticker is a good choice. But your situation sounds like anything but a full-ride is going to be risky. And, no offense meant, but 3.3/164 students are the types we read horror stories about graduating from a T6 and doing doc-review. If you are going to pay sticker (and HYSC are the only places I would), your heart better be completely in it.

No offense taken. This is also why I am skeptical. I've never been one to punch clocks. However, I am truly interested in the law, its history, and its application. I am also aware that my career goals (politics>international NGOs>Judge) require a law degree.

Postby 02889 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:26 pm

I didn't realize how dramatically Columbia had cut its class size over the last two years until now! 469 to 365?

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:37 pm

02889 wrote:I didn't realize how dramatically Columbia had cut its class size over the last two years until now! 469 to 365?

They have reduced the classes but I don't think it's by as much as you're saying. Are you comparing a graduating class vs an entering class? They always pick up a bunch of transfers. This has an entering class drop of ~10% http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=columbia.

Postby 02889 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:53 pm

TheColonel wrote:
02889 wrote:I didn't realize how dramatically Columbia had cut its class size over the last two years until now! 469 to 365?

They have reduced the classes but I don't think it's by as much as you're saying. Are you comparing a graduating class vs an entering class? They always pick up a bunch of transfers. This has an entering class drop of ~10% http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=columbia.

Unless I read it wrong, the ABA employment report for Columbia's class of 2012 listed 469 graduates.

Also, I definitely didn't mean to post the class size comment in this thread. Whoops!

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:26 pm

walkingpanda wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:For the right person, Columbia at sticker is a good choice. But your situation sounds like anything but a full-ride is going to be risky. And, no offense meant, but 3.3/164 students are the types we read horror stories about graduating from a T6 and doing doc-review. If you are going to pay sticker (and HYSC are the only places I would), your heart better be completely in it.

No offense taken. This is also why I am skeptical. I've never been one to punch clocks. However, I am truly interested in the law, its history, and its application. I am also aware that my career goals (politics>international NGOs>Judge) require a law degree.

Politics and international NGOs do not require a law degree. You should only go to law school if you want to practice law. If your interest is international/politics, you should get a Master's in Public Policy or International Affairs. It will be much cheaper and will serve you better in the field.

If you are interested in domestic politics and you are easily bored, you should consider working on political campaigns. Each job is only during the campaign season (and if you're doing a presidential campaign you're often jumping from state primary to state primary so your job changes even more) and you'll have a lot of constant change and be able to work on many types of campaigns. You don't need an advanced degree for this type of work (or even a BA really), all that matters is how good you are and your connections. Of course, this type of work required 80+ hours a week and pays like shit in the beginning (consulting and fundraising is where the big $'s at, and you need experience for that), so up to you.

Postby 02889 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm

lmsf wrote:
walkingpanda wrote:

Politics and international NGOs do not require a law degree. You should only go to law school if you want to practice law. If your interest is international/politics, you should get a Master's in Public Policy or International Affairs. It will be much cheaper and will serve you better in the field.

If you are interested in domestic politics and you are easily bored, you should consider working on political campaigns. Each job is only during the campaign season (and if you're doing a presidential campaign you're often jumping from state primary to state primary so your job changes even more) and you'll have a lot of constant change and be able to work on many types of campaigns. You don't need an advanced degree for this type of work (or even a BA really), all that matters is how good you are and your connections. Of course, this type of work required 80+ hours a week and pays like shit in the beginning (consulting and fundraising is where the big $'s at, and you need experience for that), so up to you.

A lot of people get JDs before joining the foreign service, which puts you on a new project/in a new country like every 2-3 years. That's something to consider, OP, especially considering that LRAP would then cover it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”