Syracuse vs. Santa Clara? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GreenGoober

New

Syracuse vs. Santa Clara?

Post by GreenGoober » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 am

Syracuse vs Santa Clara. Which would you choose? Assume tuition and expenses are paid for in full.

Bronck

Gold

Re: Syracuse vs. Santa Clara?

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 am

Would you rather work in CA or NY?

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 am

Either one. They are the same ranking, cost the same (for me), ect ect ect. I am just wondering which would be better for employment and, in general, which offers a better academic package.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 am

Dear God, why are these two schools in opposite locations the schools you are looking at? You might as well be deciding between living in Winnipeg or New Delhi.

Seriously, do you want to work in Syracuse or Central NY? Have you ever visited? Are you OK with being stuck there on a low salary, best case scenerio? Its cold. Very cold. Its dark. Winters and springs are gloomy. Outside Syracuse, its pretty damn rural.

I really like CNY, and lived there for a few years, but most people I know hate it.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:13 am

Also, just about 6% of Cuse's 2011 class is working in firms with 100+ lawyers or in a federal clerkship.

And less than 50% found jobs as lawyers at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:08 am

Santa Clara Class of 2011

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=santaclara 40.9% employment score

Syracuse Class of 2011

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=syracuse 49.7% employment score

Both of these are pretty terrible decisions, even if you were granted full scholarship. Everyone will tell you to retake and try to get $$ at higher ranked schools that place better.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

Neither of these schools are worth what they cost, even if you have somebody else paying. A coin flip's chance at becoming a lawyer? Unless your dad owns a firm in NY or California and has a job waiting for you, you'd have to be crazy.

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 am

My father is unemployed. I will be financing my legal education and living expenses. I have equal scholarships for both schools, and their tuitions are roughly the same.

How is Santa Clara's Intellectual Property ranking so high, beating out significantly better ranked schools?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:14 am

What is total cost of attendance, including cost of living and interest

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:18 am

rad lulz wrote:What is total cost of attendance, including cost of living and interest

I would strongly advise someone not to go to Syracuse a sticker.. Why pay 60K plus interest per year ( assuming you don't have and keep a scholarship)

Scotchandsoda

New

Post by Scotchandsoda » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 am

GreenGoober wrote:My father is unemployed. I will be financing my legal education and living expenses. I have equal scholarships for both schools, and their tuitions are roughly the same.

How is Santa Clara's Intellectual Property ranking so high, beating out significantly better ranked schools?
specialty rankings don't matter.

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am

northwood wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What is total cost of attendance, including cost of living and interest

I would strongly advise someone not to go to Syracuse a sticker.. Why pay 60K plus interest per year ( assuming you don't have and keep a scholarship)
I have $25K in scholarship, loans, and a significant amount saved from my professional career that would cover personal expenses and living. The same would be true for Santa Clara, except that rent is over double what it is in Syracuse, NY. I must admit I would prefer to be in California, however. I applied to schools on opposite coasts because I don't like to stay in one place for a long time (4 or so years is a max) and I have never lived on either coast before. That and both schools seem to have interesting IP/technology programs.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:16 pm

GreenGoober wrote:My father is unemployed. I will be financing my legal education and living expenses. I have equal scholarships for both schools, and their tuitions are roughly the same.

Becuase specialty rankings are bullshit, and are done on the basis of what law professors think about other law professors, which is pretty much irrelevant to hiring. If you want to do IP and don't have a STEM degree, your best bet is to go to Yale and work for a firm that does a lot of IP. Your next best bet is Harvard or Stanford. You see where I'm going with this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Neither. You have much, much, much to learn before you take a plunge into this massive investment.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

reyals

New

Post by reyals » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Neither. You have much, much, much to learn before you take a plunge into this massive investment.
Romo is living up to his name today.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

People already told you that USNWR specialty rankings are utterly meaningless: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206768. Why are you still concerned with them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 pm

FWI, Syracuse is not on the coast... its at least a 5 hour drive to the ocean..... and if you're from a warm climate, its winters can be brutal for you.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am

rad lulz wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”