University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Lewis and Clark
67%
University of Oregon
33%

Total votes: 18

bobbypin

University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby bobbypin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm

I want a $40k a year DA/PD job in Portland. I am a Portland native.
U of O is offering $12k for 1L (with a possibility for $4k more), $5k renewable. Tuition is $10k cheaper than L&C.
L&C is not offering any $$ besides $4k in Perkins loan money.

I have a spouse and two kids currently at home (15 and 12). If I go to Eugene, I would be moving alone.

Attending a school other than these two is not an option.

cheywood

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby cheywood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 pm

I am more than likely going to be attending Lewis and Clark in the fall and I believe it is an excellent school, but I have to say neither of these schools are worth it at those prices. Retake and reapply, law school isn't going anywhere.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 pm

At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 pm

What do you do now? Why do you want to go to law school?
These are too big of a risk and you should retake, even if these are your only two options due to geography. At least get them at a better price.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am

Keep retaking until you can go to L&C for free. You've got a family dude. Not the time for $200,000 in student loans.

kenji

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I don't see why this specific board even exists. Make a wiki since every TLS answer is exactly the same, regardless of the question.

Dont go. 200k. Dont go. 200k. Dont go. 200k. Ad nauseum.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:47 pm

If you're going to go to one or the other no matter what, then I would go to L&C. You're going to spend more than $10,000 on living expenses + Driving back to Portland every few days to spend time with your family.

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.

Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that you go to lewis and clark. it is a gorgeous campus, the students there seem happy and you'll save money in living expenses. Will you be in debt at the end of it all? yes. Is there a real possibility it may not be financially worth it? yep. But if you're passionate about where you want to go with your JD and are prepared to hustle... do it.

Or better yet, ignore everyone on this forum, including me, and go talk to some local DA's. Find out what they look for in applicants.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that you go to lewis and clark. it is a gorgeous campus, the students there seem happy and you'll save money in living expenses. Will you be in debt at the end of it all? yes. Is there a real possibility it may not be financially worth it? yep. But if you're passionate about where you want to go with your JD and are prepared to hustle... do it.

Wat?

Passion and willingness are not sufficient to warrant attending "bad" law schools at such a high price. There's a very high chance that going to either school will result in a non-legal job requiring you to use IBR. Have fun with $200k+ in debt looming over your head for 20 years.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:
rad lulz wrote:At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.

Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

Or better yet, ignore everyone on this forum, including me, and go talk to some local DA's. Find out what they look for in applicants.

I don't think people are necessarily Trying to be rude on these forums, although sometimes they come across that way. Its simple- people here are trying to give hard-truth opinions...a beautiful campus isnt going to get OP 200k out of debt. For the record, the site is called Top Law Schools....what do you expect to hear? You wouldn't go into a Kobe Steakhouse and ask the chefs what they felt about McDonalds vs. Burger King's burgers would you? Use common sense man.
Last edited by TheNextAmendment on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

Is it physically painful to be this wrong?

OP is considering spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a school with poor job placement prospects, with the goal of getting a job that pays $40k/year, and has a family to support (including one kid who will be entering college right as OP graduates). This is not the time to pay full price at a second-tier school even if "it is a gorgeous campus, [and] the students there seem happy." It doesn't matter what DA's look for in applicants, because even if OP plays all of his cards right and gets a job as a DA, that means he'll have the honor of making enough that after taxes and student loan payments he'll have about $300/month left over.

Really, really think about that, OP. If you take out $200k in loans (LST estimates a COA of $222k at Lewis & Clark), you'll be paying about $2300/month for the next ten years. That's $27,600/year, and all of it comes from your net, not gross, income. Sure, you can get on IBR, but then you'll be making payments for the next 25 years if you don't get a public interest job, and you'll likely have a gigantic tax hit at the end of it either way. Lewis and Clark, at sticker, when your goal is a job that pays $40,000/year, is an incredibly bad idea. Oregon is a slightly less bad idea, but not by much, especially considering that barely over a third of last year's graduates got jobs as attorneys within nine months of graduating.

Retake the LSAT until those schools offer you SERIOUS scholarships. Do not go otherwise.

kenji

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 pm

If you want DA, it doesn't matter which school you go to. Prestige doesn't matter.

Read the Prosecutor Gunner thread and work from there. Use IBR/PSLF.

kenji

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 pm

nickb285 wrote: Stuff

DA's cannot take care of their families apparently :roll:

The rest of this post is just the TLS echo chamber. IBR and PSLF resolve these issues, so yes it absolutely does matter what DA's look for in applicants.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:55 pm

bobbypin wrote:I want a $40k a year DA/PD job in Portland. I am a Portland native.
U of O is offering $12k for 1L (with a possibility for $4k more), $5k renewable. Tuition is $10k cheaper than L&C.
L&C is not offering any $$ besides $4k in Perkins loan money.

I have a spouse and two kids currently at home (15 and 12). If I go to Eugene, I would be moving alone.

Attending a school other than these two is not an option.

I don't see law school as being a good option for you this cycle.

We really need more information from you though. LSAT / GPA, is your spouse working and capable of supporting the family's living during your school, do you currently work and is it enough to pay for L&C's PT program, do you have retirement and savings in good shape or is it lacking?

There are a lot of factors that play a part on how to make going to law school tolerable, but you've provided specifics on none of them.

(I just got an updated award amount from L&C today. They are reshuffling their funds and have money available at this moment in time. If you're going to try and negotiate for a scholarship, now is the time to do it.)

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

kenji wrote:

The rest of this post is just the TLS echo chamber. IBR and PSLF resolve these issues, so yes it absolutely does matter what DA's look for in applicants.

Owe this thought process just pisses me off to no end.

You do understand that IBR is not intended to be used as some go-to option to finance your dreams, right? Its a safety net. It's meant to help people who are in financial trouble - not for people to knowingly get into financial trouble because taxpayers will bail them out.

Your advice is basically the same as "have a baby if you want because welfare will help pay for it!"

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

More info about me:
My husband's salary comfortably covers all of our living expenses. I have no opportunity costs because I was a stay at home mom prior to going back to college to finish my bachelors degree. If I go to Eugene, my husband and children will stay in Portland. Then we will have to pay for an apartment while I'm in school.
Because we already live in Portland, if I attend L&C, I would be borrowing only tuition. So not quite $200k. More like $130k.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Use your degree to get a job and pay your own way through L&C's PT program?

The track you're going on is expensive. Will be hard to help your kids through college / save for retirement / vacations when you're making payments of 1500 a month for your law degree that may or may not have gotten you a job. And the jobs you get have a high chance of just covering your student loans and paying for the difference in taxes by bumping your family up a bracket.

I understand that the hours would be difficult working FT and going to law school PT, but you'd at least see your family M-F this way. And when you're done, whether you have a job or not you're going to be debt free.

By far the best option is to retake LSAT and get a scholarship.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Go look at LST and question whether you ought to be paying ANY money at all for these schools. The employment stats are just terrible.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 am

lol at the idiots calling out rad lulz. That guy knows his shit.

OP, retake

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 pm

kenji wrote:

Can you and your rolling eyes explain to me how one finances a child's college education on a $40k/year salary with massive debt? Granted, OP has now explained that she will not be in quite the position it seemed earlier, but shes's still not in a good one.

kenji wrote:The rest of this post is just the TLS echo chamber.

I didn't realize that's what we were calling math and logic these days.

kenji wrote:IBR and PSLF resolve these issues, so yes it absolutely does matter what DA's look for in applicants.

Oh yeah, IBR "resolves" it. Except for the part where she'll be paying on it for 25 years if she doesn't get a DA job, and the part where if she does get a significant part of her loan "forgiven" she'll get hit with a massive tax burden, and the part where we don't even really know for sure if IBR will exist in its current form when she graduates. There's a difference between accepting a temporary stay on IBR as a means of funding your job search or making ends meet while you work toward a higher salary, and making it an integral part of your loan repayment plans before you even enroll. The former is using a program the way it's meant to be used, the latter is complete and utter stupidity.

To OP: Listen to Redfactor and rad lulz. Your best case scenario is getting the job you want, and very likely seeing almost no money from it. It's more likely that you won't get any job--the PNW seems to be a rough place to be graduating law school at the moment. By all means, chase the dream--just do it in a manner that is less likely to have a negative impact on your finances for the next decade or three. See if you can get a good scholarship to L&C; otherwise, retake and reapply next year.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 pm

What about UW? Seattle isnt that much farther away from PDX than Eugene.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm

NYstate wrote:Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

Yeah man PAYE.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:
NYstate wrote:Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

Yeah man PAYE.

Well I'm not on either plan but I find this confusing. Even many of the links I read about it seem to confuse IBR and PAYE as if they are the same thing. I guess IBR wasn't good enough so they had to enact a better plan?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”