University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Lewis and Clark
12
67%
University of Oregon
6
33%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby bobbypin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm

I want a $40k a year DA/PD job in Portland. I am a Portland native.
U of O is offering $12k for 1L (with a possibility for $4k more), $5k renewable. Tuition is $10k cheaper than L&C.
L&C is not offering any $$ besides $4k in Perkins loan money.

I have a spouse and two kids currently at home (15 and 12). If I go to Eugene, I would be moving alone.

Attending a school other than these two is not an option.

cheywood
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby cheywood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 pm

I am more than likely going to be attending Lewis and Clark in the fall and I believe it is an excellent school, but I have to say neither of these schools are worth it at those prices. Retake and reapply, law school isn't going anywhere.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 pm

At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:51 pm

What do you do now? Why do you want to go to law school?
These are too big of a risk and you should retake, even if these are your only two options due to geography. At least get them at a better price.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4188
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am

Keep retaking until you can go to L&C for free. You've got a family dude. Not the time for $200,000 in student loans.

kenji
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I don't see why this specific board even exists. Make a wiki since every TLS answer is exactly the same, regardless of the question.

Dont go. 200k. Dont go. 200k. Dont go. 200k. Ad nauseum.

User avatar
bandenjamin
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby bandenjamin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:47 pm

If you're going to go to one or the other no matter what, then I would go to L&C. You're going to spend more than $10,000 on living expenses + Driving back to Portland every few days to spend time with your family.

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby fLaw School Bound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.


Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that you go to lewis and clark. it is a gorgeous campus, the students there seem happy and you'll save money in living expenses. Will you be in debt at the end of it all? yes. Is there a real possibility it may not be financially worth it? yep. But if you're passionate about where you want to go with your JD and are prepared to hustle... do it.

Or better yet, ignore everyone on this forum, including me, and go talk to some local DA's. Find out what they look for in applicants.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby Bronck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that you go to lewis and clark. it is a gorgeous campus, the students there seem happy and you'll save money in living expenses. Will you be in debt at the end of it all? yes. Is there a real possibility it may not be financially worth it? yep. But if you're passionate about where you want to go with your JD and are prepared to hustle... do it.


Wat?

Passion and willingness are not sufficient to warrant attending "bad" law schools at such a high price. There's a very high chance that going to either school will result in a non-legal job requiring you to use IBR. Have fun with $200k+ in debt looming over your head for 20 years.

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby TheNextAmendment » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm

fLaw School Bound wrote:
rad lulz wrote:At those prices, neither. Emphatically neither.


Ignore jackasses like rad lulz, these guys spend all day making sure to post in every forum about how stupid you'd have to be to attend any school... we get it you don't think law school is worth it you have way too much time on your hands and have decided you're an authority on the economics of law school.

My opinion, and it's just that, is that you go to lewis and clark. it is a gorgeous campus, the students there seem happy and you'll save money in living expenses. Will you be in debt at the end of it all? yes. Is there a real possibility it may not be financially worth it? yep. But if you're passionate about where you want to go with your JD and are prepared to hustle... do it.

Or better yet, ignore everyone on this forum, including me, and go talk to some local DA's. Find out what they look for in applicants.


I don't think people are necessarily Trying to be rude on these forums, although sometimes they come across that way. Its simple- people here are trying to give hard-truth opinions...a beautiful campus isnt going to get OP 200k out of debt. For the record, the site is called Top Law Schools....what do you expect to hear? You wouldn't go into a Kobe Steakhouse and ask the chefs what they felt about McDonalds vs. Burger King's burgers would you? Use common sense man.
Last edited by TheNextAmendment on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby nickb285 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenji
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:43 pm

If you want DA, it doesn't matter which school you go to. Prestige doesn't matter.

Read the Prosecutor Gunner thread and work from there. Use IBR/PSLF.

kenji
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby kenji » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 pm

nickb285 wrote: Stuff


DA's cannot take care of their families apparently :roll:

The rest of this post is just the TLS echo chamber. IBR and PSLF resolve these issues, so yes it absolutely does matter what DA's look for in applicants.

Redfactor
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:55 pm

bobbypin wrote:I want a $40k a year DA/PD job in Portland. I am a Portland native.
U of O is offering $12k for 1L (with a possibility for $4k more), $5k renewable. Tuition is $10k cheaper than L&C.
L&C is not offering any $$ besides $4k in Perkins loan money.

I have a spouse and two kids currently at home (15 and 12). If I go to Eugene, I would be moving alone.

Attending a school other than these two is not an option.


I don't see law school as being a good option for you this cycle.

We really need more information from you though. LSAT / GPA, is your spouse working and capable of supporting the family's living during your school, do you currently work and is it enough to pay for L&C's PT program, do you have retirement and savings in good shape or is it lacking?

There are a lot of factors that play a part on how to make going to law school tolerable, but you've provided specifics on none of them.


(I just got an updated award amount from L&C today. They are reshuffling their funds and have money available at this moment in time. If you're going to try and negotiate for a scholarship, now is the time to do it.)

Redfactor
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

kenji wrote:
nickb285 wrote: Stuff


DA's cannot take care of their families apparently :roll:

The rest of this post is just the TLS echo chamber. IBR and PSLF resolve these issues, so yes it absolutely does matter what DA's look for in applicants.


Owe this thought process just pisses me off to no end.

You do understand that IBR is not intended to be used as some go-to option to finance your dreams, right? Its a safety net. It's meant to help people who are in financial trouble - not for people to knowingly get into financial trouble because taxpayers will bail them out.

Your advice is basically the same as "have a baby if you want because welfare will help pay for it!"

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby bobbypin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

More info about me:
My husband's salary comfortably covers all of our living expenses. I have no opportunity costs because I was a stay at home mom prior to going back to college to finish my bachelors degree. If I go to Eugene, my husband and children will stay in Portland. Then we will have to pay for an apartment while I'm in school.
Because we already live in Portland, if I attend L&C, I would be borrowing only tuition. So not quite $200k. More like $130k.

Redfactor
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Use your degree to get a job and pay your own way through L&C's PT program?

The track you're going on is expensive. Will be hard to help your kids through college / save for retirement / vacations when you're making payments of 1500 a month for your law degree that may or may not have gotten you a job. And the jobs you get have a high chance of just covering your student loans and paying for the difference in taxes by bumping your family up a bracket.

I understand that the hours would be difficult working FT and going to law school PT, but you'd at least see your family M-F this way. And when you're done, whether you have a job or not you're going to be debt free.

By far the best option is to retake LSAT and get a scholarship.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Go look at LST and question whether you ought to be paying ANY money at all for these schools. The employment stats are just terrible.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 am

lol at the idiots calling out rad lulz. That guy knows his shit.


OP, retake

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby nickb285 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 pm

What about UW? Seattle isnt that much farther away from PDX than Eugene.

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:27 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby NYstate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:28 pm

Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 pm

NYstate wrote:Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

Yeah man PAYE.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: University of Oregon or Lewis and Clark?

Postby NYstate » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:
NYstate wrote:Wasn't there an executive order or something that was reducing the term to 20 years instead of 25? I can't find it now but I thought it started last summer?

Yeah man PAYE.


Well I'm not on either plan but I find this confusing. Even many of the links I read about it seem to confuse IBR and PAYE as if they are the same thing. I guess IBR wasn't good enough so they had to enact a better plan?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests