SMU vs WUSTL vs UH

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
United9006

SMU vs WUSTL vs UH

Postby United9006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I have tried to find answers by reading rather than posting for as long as possible, but with deposit deadlines looming I need some advice. My numbers are x.x, 16x (x2). I consistently PT 170-174, but shake so bad on the real deal that I can barely keep my pencil inside the bubbles. I don't see a dramatic improvement in my future because of this nerve problem.

My spouse works in a low paying field, but could cover a decent portion of living expenses on her own and I have a little money saved up. Total COA (including accumulated interest): SMU - $102,000, WUSTL - $106,000, and UH - $91,000. These are conservative estimates and my good credit may allow me to obtain a decent private loan with a better interest rate than grad plus.

I am a lifelong Texas resident and would be happy to stay here the rest of my life, but I would be okay with relocating to the Midwest (although I have no ties outside of Texas). Ideally I would like to do anti-trust or tax law, but I am not opposed to any legal work. I love to research, plan, and problem solve and would be happy doing these things in most any field of law. If I did stay in Texas, immigration and transnational worker related law would be a strong area of interest as well.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by United9006 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

North

Re: SMU vs WUSTL vs UH

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Take the June LSAT. Even if you still think you'll want to go in August. With those PTs, there's a 170+ in you somewhere. Try purposely not caring. Treat it like a PT.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

waitlisted at UT?
Definitely retake in June. There's absolutely nothing to lose. Barring that, decide if you want to live in Houston or Dallas to make your decision since the costs are almost the same.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 pm

I'll echo what others have said and suggest a retake for UT. I also would negotiate those scholarships if you haven't already.

If you are set on Texas, SMU would be hard to pass up. Though I do know our (WUSTL's) Texas placement is pretty strong. We get a decent number of Texas firms at OCI and pretty much everyone I know from Texas was able to get a firm job back there, FWIW.

United9006

Postby United9006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks guys. I'm actually already registered for June. I'm planning on depositing and making arrangements to attend in the Fall though in case I don't crack at least 168.

StylinNProfilin wrote:waitlisted at UT?

Actually flat out rejected, so if I do well in June I will be taking a year off. I was a little surprised, being in-state in this cycle.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm

United9006 wrote:Thanks guys. I'm actually already registered for June. I'm planning on depositing and making arrangements to attend in the Fall though in case I don't crack at least 168.

StylinNProfilin wrote:waitlisted at UT?

Actually flat out rejected, so if I do well in June I will be taking a year off. I was a little surprised, being in-state in this cycle.

Wow that is quite surprising. goodluck with the retake! Third time was the charm for me.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm

UT may be tough to crack with that GPA. I'm thinking 169+ at least.

But yes absolutely retake and give it one last shot. Which city in Texas do you have ties to and where would you prefer working after graduation?

United9006

Postby United9006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:UT may be tough to crack with that GPA. I'm thinking 169+ at least.

But yes absolutely retake and give it one last shot. Which city in Texas do you have ties to and where would you prefer working after graduation?

Yeah, I was thinking I would need 170+ to be confident about UT. I have decent ties to just about every region in Texas. My family lives throughout the state, but my most significant ties are probably in DFW and that is probably where I would prefer to work if I am in Texas after graduation.

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:39 pm

United9006 wrote:My family lives throughout the state, but my most significant ties are probably in DFW and that is probably where I would prefer to work

That might make SMU a reasonable choice.

United9006

Postby United9006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 pm

North wrote:
United9006 wrote:My family lives throughout the state, but my most significant ties are probably in DFW and that is probably where I would prefer to work

That might make SMU a reasonable choice.

I think this is where the focal point of the difficulty in my decision comes in. Although a preference, I do not have a "Texas or bust" mentality. So do you think SMU+DFW ties > WUSTL+no ties?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I would only go to law school in the hopes of getting a job in a place where I had substantial ties or possibly NY if I hit the big law lottery. If I were you I would not go to WUSTL with the hopes of getting a job in, say Chicago. Or St. Louis. Or Topeka. Or whatever.

Of these choices SMU sounds like it's the best to me, unless WUSTL really does place well in TX. And about that I have no idea, listen to Romo there. My problem with your choices as stated is that $100,000 is just about the threshold where I think big law might be a necessity to pay off the debt and none of these schools give you a very good chance at that. WUSTL is clearly the best although you have only a roughly 1/4 chance of getting big law from there. Although I'm sure that I'm being overly cautious/pessimistic as usual. I believe Romo says paying off 100K on a small law salary is not the end of the world so I would defer to him as he knows way more about this stuff than I do.

Good luck in June, hopefully you knock it out of the park and this is all moot. But even if you don't SMU for 100K with Dallas ties is not the end of the world IMO.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Would you rather live in Houston or Dallas? That should answer a portion of your question.

PM if you have any specific questions about UH.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”