At a crossroads, advice appreciated

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JayGatsby

At a crossroads, advice appreciated

Postby JayGatsby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm

So I’m at a bit of a crossroads and could use some honest advice as seat deposits are approaching. I’ll start by saying my numbers aren’t good…3.3 and 155. Out of the schools I’ve been accepted to, I’m considering Santa Clara, DePaul, and William Mitchell. I’m also waitlisted at American, Cardozo, Loyola-Chicago and have yet to hear back from Kent, Oregon and Minnesota. Ideally, I’d like to live in NYC and practice high-tech IP law, but also entertaining the idea of working in government in D.C. Wherever I go I’ll be doing a JD/MBA program, if offered. My parents will be footing the bill, so massive debt upon graduation really isn’t an issue. Right now my idea is to hope for an acceptance at Kent, put down a deposit and cross my fingers all summer to get off a waitlist. Any suggestions besides retaking the LSAT? I’ve waited long enough and am ready to dominate law school.

lawschoolwoohoo

Re: At a crossroads, advice appreciated

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I never do this, but pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeee retake. PLEASE. You may be ready to dominate law school, but you are not ready to dominate the job market with a degree from those schools.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm

More like the debt and being unemployed will dominate you. Retake.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm

JayGatsby wrote:Any suggestions besides retaking the LSAT? I’ve waited long enough and am ready to dominate law school.

The only sound advice someone can give you is to retake. The fact your parents can afford to pay for your tuition puts you in a nice spot. Pro-tip, everyone entering lawl school is "ready to dominate" and most will not succeed in "dominating". Since money clearly isn't a problem I think taking a year off and retaking is the right move. :lol: @ "I've waited long enough". Do yourself and your parents a favor and retake.

glenndf

Postby glenndf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm

A retake won't do you much good (biglaw wise) unless you get 170+. That having been said, biglaw is not necessarily a required outcome due to your financial situation. Fwiw, I'm in roughly the same boat when it comes to numbers (3.4/155) and finances.

My advice for high-tech/IP law (assuming you have a STEM degree) would be Santa Clara. It's generally well respected in Silicon Valley which has a ton of high tech/venture capital stuff. Kill 1L, try to transfer to Stanford/Berkeley, and reassess your career if neither happen. There are lots of entries into VC and other fields here.

If you do have a STEM degree, SERIOUSLY consider becoming a registered patent agent instead of a JD. Law firms are starting to shift to that model, at least here in Silicon Valley.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Look, it's nice that your parents have saved up money, but your chances of working for the federal government in DC or for "high-tech IP" in NYC are effectively zero from any of those schools, including Kent. They're laughable, to be honest. You need to retake or to get vastly more modest goals (how does 40K doing criminal law as a local DA/PD sound?).

JD/MBA won't mean anything. You're not getting top 5% and transferring. Honestly if your parents are willing to plunk down 200K take the money and invest it and then go work some other job.

65% chance you're flame.

AC Vegas

Postby AC Vegas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:05 pm

What do you mean by high-tech IP? What is your background? Don't go to any of those schools if you want to work in NY or DC.

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

glenndf wrote:A retake won't do you much good (biglaw wise) unless you get 170+. That having been said, biglaw is not necessarily a required outcome due to your financial situation. Fwiw, I'm in roughly the same boat when it comes to numbers (3.4/155) and finances.

My advice for high-tech/IP law (assuming you have a STEM degree) would be Santa Clara. It's generally well respected in Silicon Valley which has a ton of high tech/venture capital stuff. Kill 1L, try to transfer to Stanford/Berkeley, and reassess your career if neither happen. There are lots of entries into VC and other fields here.

Less than half of Santa Clara grads get jobs as lawyers. Get out of here with your terrible advice. Wasted money is wasted money, even if it's mommy and daddy's.

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

North wrote:Wasted money is wasted money, even if it's mommy and daddy's.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Look, it's nice that your parents have saved up money, but your chances of working for the federal government in DC or for "high-tech IP" in NYC are effectively zero from any of those schools, including Kent. They're laughable, to be honest. You need to retake or to get vastly more modest goals (how does 40K doing criminal law as a local DA/PD sound?).

JD/MBA won't mean anything. You're not getting top 5% and transferring. Honestly if your parents are willing to plunk down 200K take the money and invest it and then go work some other job.

65% chance you're flame.

This

Despite having a ton of available liquidity

You parents seem to have no idea how to manage it

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Look, it's nice that your parents have saved up money, but your chances of working for the federal government in DC or for "high-tech IP" in NYC are effectively zero from any of those schools, including Kent. They're laughable, to be honest. You need to retake or to get vastly more modest goals (how does 40K doing criminal law as a local DA/PD sound?).

65% chance you're flame.

This

Despite having a ton of available liquidity

You parents seem to have no idea how to manage it

They're probably just boomers who don't understand that their kids lot in life is going to look significantly different than theirs. More school always pays off in the end... well at least it did for them. Not so much for us.

glenndf

Postby glenndf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

[/quote]
Less than half of Santa Clara grads get jobs as lawyers. Get out of here with your terrible advice. Wasted money is wasted money, even if it's mommy and daddy's.[/quote]

You are right about the employment numbers of SCU grads. Like I said in my post, op might also want to consider becoming a patent agent instead of a JD (assuming STEM background) and/or reassess career options.

OP:
If DC is the goal, also consider becoming a patent examiner (again, assuming STEM background).

If you don't have a STEM background, see if your parents will pay for you to get an MS (engineering, life science, etc.) instead of a JD. Being a patent agent/examiner/paralegal can be as good a career as IP attorney, and maybe even a better one depending on the person.

Note, I assume that bcs of the mention of high-tech, you are interested more in patents than copyrights/trademarks, correct me if I'm wrong.

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 pm

glenndf wrote:OP:
If DC is the goal, also consider becoming a patent examiner (again, assuming STEM background).

If you don't have a STEM background, see if your parents will pay for you to get an MS (engineering, life science, etc.) instead of a JD. Being a patent agent/examiner/paralegal can be as good a career as IP attorney, and maybe even a better one depending on the person.

Note, I assume that bcs of the mention of high-tech, you are interested more in patents than copyrights/trademarks, correct me if I'm wrong.

This, on the other hand, is good advice.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm

JayGatsby wrote:Ideally, I’d like to live in NYC and practice high-tech IP law, but also entertaining the idea of working in government in D.C.

This is not happening from any of those schools -- nor from any school you could get into with those numbers. Not even close. Retake.

JayGatsby

Postby JayGatsby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank you to everyone that has responded and given me some insight into my situation. Although this wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear, it has confirmed a feeling I had deep down that these schools aren’t adequate to meet the demands of my lofty career goals. I dread the thought of having to study for the LSAT again and retake, but I’m only two years out of undergrad so I suppose waiting another year isn’t the worst thing that could happen to me. I have to admit, I'm getting antsy and want to begin this long journey as soon as possible, but I guess it's just not worth sacrificing my career prospects because I couldn't contain myself for a year.

For those wondering what kind of high-tech IP law I’m pursuing, I specifically want to practice some form of Internet law, but realize because I’m not a STEM major and don’t have any technical background this might not be the most easy route to take.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 pm

JayGatsby wrote:For those wondering what kind of high-tech IP law I’m pursuing, I specifically want to practice some form of Internet law, but realize because I’m not a STEM major and don’t have any technical background this might not be the most easy route to take.

What do you mean when you say internet law?

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm

JayGatsby wrote:Thank you to everyone that has responded and given me some insight into my situation. Although this wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear, it has confirmed a feeling I had deep down that these schools aren’t adequate to meet the demands of my lofty career goals. I dread the thought of having to study for the LSAT again and retake, but I’m only two years out of undergrad so I suppose waiting another year isn’t the worst thing that could happen to me. I have to admit, I'm getting antsy and want to begin this long journey as soon as possible, but I guess it's just not worth sacrificing my career prospects because I couldn't contain myself for a year.

You have made a fantastic, life-changing decision. Seriously, congrats. Our LSAT Prep forum is free and the best. Start there. 170+ or bust. Plenty of TLSers who started in the 150's have done it -- I took a tear off and did it myself. With dedication and time, you can too.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
JayGatsby wrote:For those wondering what kind of high-tech IP law I’m pursuing, I specifically want to practice some form of Internet law, but realize because I’m not a STEM major and don’t have any technical background this might not be the most easy route to take.

What do you mean when you say internet law?

There is some real room to make an impact in the way privacy (internet privacy) is handled.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 pm

I love it when TLS actually steers someone in the right direction. This is what the site was made for!
Good choice op. retake, review the LSAT forum daily (or more) and go somewhere worth going!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”