T14 Law School vs. 70k a year job

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lost_Dreams

T14 Law School vs. 70k a year job

Postby Lost_Dreams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 am

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I came here to get some career advice from those knowledgeable TLS law school veterans.

Some background info: I currently work at a large consulting firm as an IT consultant. (think IBM, Capgemini, Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, Booze Allen Hamilton, etc) I graduated from college 2 years ago, and have been working at this job since then. I make decent salary (70k), but the four big problems I have with my job are: 1) the work I do is pretty boring, and I don't really enjoy IT-related work all that much (I originally wanted to go into finance/management consulting, but I failed), 2) constant, weekly required travel to bumb-fuck places is wearing me down, 3) I feel that staying in IT consulting pigeonholes me into a very specific line of career and I feel that there are no meaningful exit opportunities outside of IT related jobs, 4) most of stuff I do on daily basis doesn't really require much thinking/ analytical skills, and I sometimes feel brain-dead doing the job.

I've given serious consideration into law school since last year. I graduated from UPenn with degree in Econ. But, while in college, I really screwed up my GPA and got shot down from most of high finance/ management consulting jobs, which would have suit my career interests better than my current job. I'd like a line of work that is a bit more intellectually stimulating than my current job, doesn't require me to fly to random places all that often, and has a larger financial reward/upside.

I got a great LSAT score (172) but due to my horrible GPA (3.1), the highest ranked school I got into was UVA, with no scholarship money. I also got into Georgetown and Cornell, with no scholarship money. At this point, should I consider attending law school, given the enormous opportunity/financial costs that I am looking at and given the current job market for law grads (which I know isn't very good)? I am a pretty analytical person, enjoy reading/writing, and could see myself as a lawyer. However, what do I know, since I've never set foot inside a law school building nor have worked a day inside a law firm. I'd like to get some perspective, feedback, and advice. I would really like to know if attending law school, given my personal background, is a sound career move. If not law school, what else should I be thinking. I know that I don't want to stay in my line of work forever, although I could keep doing it if I really had no other meaningful option.

Thanks in advance.

Lacepiece23

Re: T14 Law School vs. 70k a year job

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am

tough call can I ask why NU ED wasn't an option? I could be wrong, but don't they usually give money to people like you with solid WE and a high LSAT?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 am

How many hours a week do you work?

Could you eventually move into a supervisory role you might like more?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 am

Everything you hate about your old job will be even worse with big law (minus the travel part). Law is just as mundane and for the most part won't require any thinking/analytical skills. Unlike your old job, however, you're now strapped with 200K+ in loans and no way out. I was sort of in your position (although different industry), and even though everything kind of worked out, I probably wouldn't have gone to law school in hindsight and would have tried to find a new career without taking on debt.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:45 am

Lost_Dreams wrote:2) constant, weekly required travel to bumb-fuck places is wearing me down

A friend of mine quit consulting for law school for largely this reason.

That said, much of what you describe won't necessarily change in law. Law is often quite mindless/boring and you will be pigeonholed into one specific area (law). There also isn't a larger financial upside to law because even if you got it, you would be saddled with 250-300k debt meaning you'd end up taking home less than you do now after you factor in loan repayments (and this will be after spending 3 years making no income).

I'd probably figure out if you really think law would be more stimulating than your current job. I'd also work a few more years so that you can save enough to make the debt you take out for law school, if that's what you choose, less risky.

NDJ

Postby NDJ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 am

a lot of people on here will tell you to ditch the law school idea - the overwhelming consensus on TLS seems to be that a guaranteed, stable 70k job trumps any law school - but you have to do what you think will make you happy in the long run. i would spend time doing research into the legal industry and getting a feel for whether its for you, as well as deciding on some potential career goals - a big and expensive life change like this needs to be well thought out.

however, the biggest elephant in the room is that, unless you have a lot of savings, likely none of those 3 schools are worth it at sticker. if you are paying interest on a student loan, even if you win the game and get biglaw in NYC you'll still be set back quite a few years in income, taking into consideration the 3 years lost in law school. bottom line is, you better be sure that being a lawyer is what you want before making the jump, and my personal advice is to retake closer to a 180 and go for some scholarship money in the T14 (actually, play with LSN first to see if that would make a difference in scholarship prospects for a 3.1 - im not sure but would have to assume it does).
Last edited by NDJ on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am

bk1 wrote:
Lost_Dreams wrote:2) constant, weekly required travel to bumb-fuck places is wearing me down

A friend of mine quit consulting for law school for largely this reason.

That said, much of what you describe won't necessarily change in law. Law is often quite mindless/boring and you will be pigeonholed into one specific area (law). There also isn't a larger financial upside to law because even if you got it, you would be saddled with 250-300k debt meaning you'd end up taking home less than you do now after you factor in loan repayments (and this will be after spending 3 years making no income).

I'd probably figure out if you really think law would be more stimulating than your current job. I'd also work a few more years so that you can save enough to make the debt you take out for law school, if that's what you choose, less risky.

Came ITT to poast this

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 am

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 am

rad lulz wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:i'm debating a similar situation right now..Stay in IT as a program analyst making 60k or go to UMN with a 28k/yr scholly..I hate the low ceiling and lack of analytical thinking on the job (extremely ironic considering my position has the word "analyst" in it) but the high floor salary makes law school even more risky than it already is, which is a lot haha. GL with your decision though.

I would say the smarter choice is keeping the job and avoiding law, but I most likely will not be following my own advice

Plenty of Minn grads would choke a puppy to death for $60k/yr bro

This. 60k is a great outcome from Minn.

uncleleo

Postby uncleleo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 am

Lost_Dreams wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster here. I came here to get some career advice from those knowledgeable TLS law school veterans.

Some background info: I currently work at a large consulting firm as an IT consultant. (think IBM, Capgemini, Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, Booze Allen Hamilton, etc) I graduated from college 2 years ago, and have been working at this job since then. I make decent salary (70k), but the four big problems I have with my job are: 1) the work I do is pretty boring, and I don't really enjoy IT-related work all that much (I originally wanted to go into finance/management consulting, but I failed), 2) constant, weekly required travel to bumb-fuck places is wearing me down, 3) I feel that staying in IT consulting pigeonholes me into a very specific line of career and I feel that there are no meaningful exit opportunities outside of IT related jobs, 4) most of stuff I do on daily basis doesn't really require much thinking/ analytical skills, and I sometimes feel brain-dead doing the job.

I've given serious consideration into law school since last year. I graduated from UPenn with degree in Econ. But, while in college, I really screwed up my GPA and got shot down from most of high finance/ management consulting jobs, which would have suit my career interests better than my current job. I'd like a line of work that is a bit more intellectually stimulating than my current job, doesn't require me to fly to random places all that often, and has a larger financial reward/upside.

I got a great LSAT score (172) but due to my horrible GPA (3.1), the highest ranked school I got into was UVA, with no scholarship money. I also got into Georgetown and Cornell, with no scholarship money. At this point, should I consider attending law school, given the enormous opportunity/financial costs that I am looking at and given the current job market for law grads (which I know isn't very good)? I am a pretty analytical person, enjoy reading/writing, and could see myself as a lawyer. However, what do I know, since I've never set foot inside a law school building nor have worked a day inside a law firm. I'd like to get some perspective, feedback, and advice. I would really like to know if attending law school, given my personal background, is a sound career move. If not law school, what else should I be thinking. I know that I don't want to stay in my line of work forever, although I could keep doing it if I really had no other meaningful option.

Thanks in advance.

BitterSplitter wrote:i'm debating a similar situation right now..Stay in IT as a program analyst making 60k or go to UMN with a 28k/yr scholly..I hate the low ceiling and lack of analytical thinking on the job (extremely ironic considering my position has the word "analyst" in it) but the high floor salary makes law school even more risky than it already is, which is a lot haha. GL with your decision though.

I would say the smarter choice is keeping the job and avoiding law, but I most likely will not be following my own advice

are there really any jobs out there that are 'intellectually stimulating' and require 'analytical thinking' in their early years other than professional riddle solver? a common theme on here is someone says they want to switch to law because their current job isnt intellectually involved enough, and then someone else comes on and says that law is full of drudge work and wont be any better. a job is a job..people pay you a salary to service them.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am

uncleleo wrote:are there really any jobs out there that are 'intellectually stimulating' and require 'analytical thinking' in their early years other than professional riddle solver? a common theme on here is someone says they want to switch to law because their current job isnt intellectually involved enough, and then someone else comes on and says that law is full of drudge work and wont be any better. a job is a job..people pay you a salary to service them.

Ye go to HYS make editor of law review and clerk for SCOTUS, more then that no not really. My father (whose worked retail for 30+ years now) always taught me this. You dont do what you love, you need to love what you do. So find something that will make you a stable salary and learn to love it bec barring the lucky few you will not do what you love

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 am

Your gpa isn't good for law school admissions which will hurt you. How many law grads are even getting jobs that pay over 70 K. Don't forfeit 70 K x 3 years of earnings + hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt to maybe get a well paying job after law school. If you do leave though tell your company to hire me to take your place.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:30 am

Even if you were on tenure track as a professor at a research university, at least half of what you would do, if not more, would feel like "brain-dead," "non-intellectually stimulating" work (grading and administrative work). Very, very, very few jobs are constant sources of intellectual pleasure. If you really hate the work, then sure, find another career. Maybe law, maybe not, but something else. But if it's just occasional boredom, that's the point of a salary, to compensate you for spending time doing something you would otherwise prefer not to do. At least do a stint as a paralegal to find out if you'd prefer a law office environment over where you're currently at. And with your gpa, you're unlikely to get scholarships from schools that are worth attending, so you should really get some work experience in the field first.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 am

Lost_Dreams wrote:got shot down from most of high finance/ management consulting jobs, which would have suit my career interests better than my current job.

dude, what? if you honestly feel that way, going to law school is retarded. law is even less like high finance/management consulting than what you're doing now. go to a top b-school and get your second bite of the apple.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 am

IAFG wrote:
Lost_Dreams wrote:got shot down from most of high finance/ management consulting jobs, which would have suit my career interests better than my current job.

dude, what? if you honestly feel that way, going to law school is retarded. law is even less like high finance/management consulting than what you're doing now. go to a top b-school and get your second bite of the apple.

Yeah, this.

No offense, OP, but this sounds like a classic case of early-20s job malaise. Everyone goes through it, and it's largely what makes law schools so much money. Stick it out, law school is not the answer. You need to find a way to be happy without a job that you love, because there aren't a whole hell of a lot of people who actually do what they love for a living.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:42 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:this sounds like a classic case of early-20s job malaise. Everyone goes through it, and it's largely what makes law schools so much money.

aka, quarter life crisis

gg'd

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Here's a new thought. I'm assuming you really are interested in being a lawyer and have no family. So why not take a scholarship from a lower ranked school and attend at night? you will certainly garner a scholly to many a lower ranked schools with those numbers. If you rock the first year and end up in the top of your class maybe consider fully switching to law school full-time. If you're median in class rank re-evaluate with little or no substantial losses.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm

get a transfer to DC office and do georgetown nite skewl brah

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Wow, you sound like me. I have no illusions about the work in a legal career being more fulfilling or intellectually stimulating than the tedium that is consulting - I do, however, know that if I can land a job in big law, I can actually have a chance at making a decent salary. I may have a livable salary now in consulting (~60K), but the issue is that I'm not going to crack 100 for another 5 years at LEAST. Ain't nobody got time for that.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

fallingup wrote:Wow, you sound like me. I have no illusions about the work in a legal career being more fulfilling or intellectually stimulating than the tedium that is consulting - I do, however, know that if I can land a job in big law, I can actually have a chance at making a decent salary. I may have a livable salary now in consulting (~60K), but the issue is that I'm not going to crack 100 for another 5 years at LEAST. Ain't nobody got time for that.

:lol: at the bolded.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I think very few jobs are intellectually stimulating like I think we are defining it here. I have siblings that work as high executives in large companies and even they say they are tired of doing the same thing and have thought of moving someplace else even if it means a reduction in their salaries. I find it highly improbable you'll find an intellectually stimulating job.

Maybe you can find some place else what you feel it's missing. What I think makes a difference for me is the people I work with, go out, living close to my family, etc. I really hope I can find a good firm that appreciates camaraderie, jokes, etc. even if it only happens twice a day in the halls during coffee breaks.

I also want to add that I think it's very difficult for us young people to accept that our ride in life doing interesting stuff, stuff we really like, is kinda over if we really want to have a stable (well-off economically) life.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Lost_Dreams wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster here. I came here to get some career advice from those knowledgeable TLS law school veterans.

Thanks in advance.

Can't you just apply to another consulting firm. Consulting is consulting. I didn't do IT, but I worked at a firm you quoted and landed interviews with McKinsey and Monitor after gaining two years experience. I would stay in Consulting. As long as you are good at excel/access, you should be able to get another gig. I'd recommend posting your resume on monster.com and see who contacts you. Law is not a good option.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”