Kentucky vs. SLU vs. Akron vs. Louisville

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I go?

University of Kentucky
No votes
University of Louisville
10%
Saint Louis University
20%
University of Akron
7%
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
3%
Take a year off and work in KY
60%

Total votes: 30

North

Re: Kentucky vs. SLU vs. Akron vs. Louisville

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 pm

cnwo21 wrote:why exactly do ties make such a big difference? Although I have "ties" to OH and KY I would happily stay and work in NC.

Rad just explained it in another thread. It's correct and applicable to the south, so I'll just quote it. If you want more detail, use the search function at the bottom of the screen. It's been rehashed on TLS a thousand times.

Rad Lulz wrote:Ties are basically any reason you would want to stay in the region. Firms want people with ties because 1) in the short turn they will stick around to become competent/profitable 2) in the long term they know people and are more likely to be invested/involved in the community to generate business.

You can overcome this by networking super super hard in school (harder than it seems, but maybe someone will just like you for whatever reason), having siiiick grades (not likely), or having other independent reasons for wanting to be in a place (I challenge you to come up with a reason right now why you would want to work in Baton Rouge or NO, without mentioning partying or "culture and history." I'm guessing you don't have extensive pre LS experience in the shipping industry or whatever).

So for like GA, it's pretty easy to say why you want to be in ATL, but those jobs are competitive. I challenge you to come up with a reason why you want to work in Augusta or Resaca.

Furthermore, if LA is like the other southern states I'm familiar with, there will be an outright good ol boy type network which you will not be a part of, especially in less populated areas.

If you didn't grow up there or go to UG there, good ties include things like: "my wife's entire family lives here" or "my kids already go to school in town." Firms outside of huge markets generally want to hire people who are going to stick around for more reasons than the job. Ties help you get and stay employed, and that's something you need coming out of regional schools like the ones you're considering.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

So picking between SLU and UK, would most go with UK?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 pm

cnwo21 wrote:So picking between SLU and UK, would most go with UK?
I go to the other law school in St. Louis. Don't go to SLU. St. Louis is brutal to get a job in if you're not from the city, and you almost certainly won't get a job in another city with a degree from SLU. I'm not necessarily telling you to go to Kentucky as is - you should work a year, retake, and either go to UK on a scholarship or to a better school with a big scholarship, depending on the results of your retake - but it's a better option than SLU for you because you go to undergrad in Kentucky and aren't from St. Louis.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

cnwo21 wrote:why exactly do ties make such a big difference? Although I have "ties" to OH and KY I would happily stay and work in NC.

When you graduate from law school you know jack shit and as a consequence are unprofitable. Especially for smaller firm work, those first two or three years are crucial to learning how to be a real lawyer. Once you have a few years experience, you becoming effective and efficient and can justify your salary in terms of time saved the partners. Essentially, you are an investment for the firm.

Ties help ensure you'll stick around past the initial learning period.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm

It sounds like you're fishing for validation. None will be forthcoming. These are all terrible, terrible options at these prices. Listen to the unanimous opinion of the current law students and grads and avoid all these options. We're not telling you this to dupe you, we're telling you because we know a thing or two about this law school thing.

Retake and improve or don't go. At the very least, you should be doing a state flagship in- state on a scholarship (I.e. for under 100k debt).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:

It sounds like you're fishing for validation. None will be forthcoming. These are all terrible, terrible options at these prices. Listen to the unanimous opinion of the current law students and grads and avoid all these options. We're not telling you this to dupe you, we're telling you because we know a thing or two about this law school thing.

Retake and improve or don't go. At the very least, you should be doing a state flagship in- state on a scholarship (I.e. for under 100k debt).

This

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Yes, we would go with UK, but not at that price. In-state tuition + ties wouldn't be a terrible decision.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:09 am

cnwo21 wrote:North - why do you not recommend Kaplan?

Also, would any of you pay sticker at my waitlist options like wake

Kaplan is the worst. Take a course from a company with sound methods (TestMasters, PowerScore, or Blueprint).

And listen to Romo on the next page. There is no school that will accept you with your current numbers, WL or not, that will be anywhere close to worth what you'll have to pay for it. You have exactly two intelligent options: retake or don't go to law school.

togepi

Postby togepi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 am

Ti Malice wrote:
cnwo21 wrote:North - why do you not recommend Kaplan?

Also, would any of you pay sticker at my waitlist options like wake

Kaplan is the worst. Take a course from a company with sound methods (TestMasters, PowerScore, or Blueprint).

And listen to Romo on the next page. There is no school that will accept you with your current numbers, WL or not, that will be anywhere close to worth what you'll have to pay for it. You have exactly two intelligent options: retake or don't go to law school.

Agree. Kaplan gives its users a false sense of achievement (their questions are too easy and not representative of the actual LSAT). I used Velocity and raised my LSAT about 13 points from my diagnostic. I heard Manhattan is also pretty helpful, if not better.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:48 am

Don't waste money on a prep course.

Purchase the three Manhattan LSAT prep books, study for 6 months, and thank me later.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Between Manhattan and Powerscore, which is best. I am ordering them from offline.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm

You already decided, but just so you know, 21% of Akron students KEEP those stipulated scholarships.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... olarships/

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

cnwo21 wrote:Between Manhattan and Powerscore, which is best. I am ordering them from offline.

They're both great. I'd splurge and get both sets of books -- regardless of whether you have the means to splurge. Every point matters, and the extra cost will be trivial if getting both nets you even one extra point over getting just one set (which it will). I would probably skip the PS RC Bible, though. I've never looked at it, but when I was prepping everyone said it was pretty meh.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:13 am

Both if you can afford it. Manhattan if you can't. But:
Ti Malice wrote: Every point matters, and the extra cost will be trivial if getting both nets you even one extra point over getting just one set (which it will). I would probably skip the PS RC Bible, though.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 am

I chose to buy both. Thanks. How many hours per day for roughly a 3 month study plan for the October test would people recommend?

North

Postby North » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm

cnwo21 wrote:I chose to buy both. Thanks. How many hours per day for roughly a 3 month study plan for the October test would people recommend?

That depends on too many different things to have a definitive answer. Put in as much time as you have to to get a 170+. I put in +/-4 hours almost every day for about a year for a 152 --> 173. But I'm pretty derpy.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm

cnwo21 wrote:I chose to buy both. Thanks. How many hours per day for roughly a 3 month study plan for the October test would people recommend?

People's prep needs vary across a tremendous range, so the safest approach is to begin by treating it like a full-time job and then some. Build in breaks, but make yourself study for long periods as you become acclimated. It will pay dividends on test day to built up great stamina during your prep. Also, find out on the LSAT forum how people get cheap copies of full-length practice tests as well. You won't want to only do the drilling in the books.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”