Kentucky vs. SLU vs. Akron vs. Louisville

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I go?

University of Kentucky
No votes
University of Louisville
10%
Saint Louis University
20%
University of Akron
7%
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
3%
Take a year off and work in KY
60%

Total votes: 30

cnwo21

Kentucky vs. SLU vs. Akron vs. Louisville

Postby cnwo21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm

The main thing I want to get people's opinion on is whether I should attend the University of Kentucky paying out of state tuition at sticker price. I am trying to get residency since I'm currently going to undergrad there now, but doesn't look promising.

OR should I go to SLU with a $9,000 a year scholarship (no stips just good standing) OR Akron with a $20,000 a year scholarship (have to be in top 1/3 of class to keep it) OR Louisville out of state as well no schollys OR Indiana - Indianapolis (sticker)

I am really interested in Health Law, so since SLU is #1 in health I've been considering it. but slightly holding out for waitlist at wake forest, but thought I'd get peoples opinions.

Bronck

Re: Kentucky vs. SLU vs. Akron vs. Louisville

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 am

cnwo21 wrote:The main thing I want to get people's opinion on is whether I should attend the University of Kentucky paying out of state tuition at sticker price. I am trying to get residency since I'm currently going to undergrad there now, but doesn't look promising.

OR should I go to SLU with a $9,000 a year scholarship (no stips just good standing) OR Akron with a $20,000 a year scholarship (have to be in top 1/3 of class to keep it) OR Louisville out of state as well no schollys OR Indiana - Indianapolis (sticker)

I am really interested in Health Law, so since SLU is #1 in health I've been considering it. but slightly holding out for waitlist at wake forest, but thought I'd get peoples opinions.

1) No, you shouldn't pay out of state tuition at sticker price for U of Kentucky.
2) Louisville OOS and IU - Indy are not worth sticker either.
3) What would the total CoA be for SLU and Akron (the stipulations on that Akron scholarship are incredibly bad)? My guess is it's still going to be very high, which makes neither choice good.
4) Specialty rankings are useless.
5) Where do you want to practice and where do you have ties?

On the face of it, retake is your best (and realistically, only) option. What are your stats and how many times have you taken the LSAT?

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am

I know it gets repeated A LOT here, and it can be tiring but re-take. Take the year off, move to Kentucky (if that is where you want to be), work, and study for the LSAT. An even 3 point boost can make such a huge difference. In-state plus a higher LSAT would be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I went to SLU undergrad and its a nice school, but I don't it would be worth it to pay $100k+ in tuition alone for. And SLU is better than the rest of the schools on your list (like Akron, Indiana-Indy). None of the choices are particularly great. So yeah, I think pushing is probably best. Good luck.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am

I took the LSAT twice. only went up one point second time to a 155, gpa 3.2.

I'm also waitlisted at:

Illinois
Wake
Tenn
Cincinnati
Chicago-kent
Pittsburgh

I'm from OH and attended Uk for all four years of undergrad.
Not particularly "tied" to anywhere, but would mainly like to practice in the IL, KY, TN, VA, NC, OH areas.
Last edited by cnwo21 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 am

What were you PTing at? How long did you study?

To put it bluntly, none of your current options are worth the debt.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 am

Taking a year off and working in Kentucky is far and away the best option.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am

I was scoring around 159 on practices before second test. Studied for about 3 months before the June LSAT and about a month and a half for the October LSAT, BUT I was taking 19 credit hours both semesters and was really tight for time while maintaining deans list. I used Kaplan to prep.

I do have a strong grade trend.
gpa per year was 2.32 freshman year, 3.13 sophomore, 3.91 junior, and 3.63 so far senior

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 am

This is just my experience from my cycle, but I really think LSAT is the key. I have a low GPA (High 2.9s) with a down-up-DOWN-up-down trend.... not great. And I've done well (all things considered) at pretty similar schools to the ones you've applied to. I think with six months of prep time (so October LSAT) you could get to a 160. Look at it as a part-time job and put the time in. I know its easier said than done (and full disclosure I didn't study as much as I should have but point still holds I think).

I really think your best bet is to get that Kentucky residency (or maybe another state that you think would accept you that you want to live in), and get a few more points on the LSAT and go from there. Like University of Tennessee-Knoxville is a great school and in-state and say a 159 would probably get you in. I think if you are set on law school (which if you want to do it, do it by all means), figure out the state you want to work in with a Law school you want to attend (and can be accepted to), move, and re-take. Honestly, all you need is 3-4 points. That is what... 5 questions? Come on man, its not impossible. Especially if you've pulled a 3.9 GPA.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 am

I personally would be willing to pay the 20 k a year in state tuition. Compared to many schools at a similar ranking (or even lower) this is on the lower end of tuition cost. My main concern is taking it again and having my score go down by some fluke...

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

Do you want to get a job? Retake. If your score goes down, then take it as a sign to avoid law school.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 am

cnwo21 wrote:I personally would be willing to pay the 20 k a year in state tuition. Compared to many schools at a similar ranking (or even lower) this is on the lower end of tuition cost. My main concern is taking it again and having my score go down by some fluke...

Your main concern should be unemployment rather than the possibility of a poor third attempt making it difficult to repeat the TTT options you have. Poke around the forum and see what people are saying about schools like the ones listed. Fwiw, despite slu's "#1" ranking in health law, they put less than 20 people into big firms out of a class of over 300 last year. The other schools are similarly situated (except Akron's one of the worst schools in the country and has had to resort to gimmicks to get people to attend). If you're going to take on 120k in debt with high interest rates (especially after the Feds eliminated subsidized loans), an approximately 6% chance of being able to pay it back in a reasonable time frame is a terrible bet.

Take a year off, work in Kentucky, then reevalute. If nothing else, in state tuition at a state flagship is probably a better outcome than your current options. You really shouldn't be paying out of state tuition at sticker price - with interest, out of state tuition would be almost fifty thousand dollars more expensive than in state tuition - think of the year off as paying you an extra 50k for establishing residency, if you must. Just be aware that there's a real chance that you'll never work as a lawyer if you go to schools like the ones on your list.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:58 am

FWIW I have a <2.5 UGPA and a 161 LSAT and Kentucky gave me in-state tuition. Just a few more points with a retake can reduce your debt by over 50k and take a lot of pressure off you.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am

No don't do it

Please don't go it

-Drake

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 am

Also, here's the LST data if you didn't retake. Most of it is really dismal.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... y&show=ABA (69.6% employment score)

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=slu&show=ABA (52.2% employment score)

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... e&show=ABA (63.4% employment score)

As you can see, the best choice is Kentucky, but not at the price you'd be paying. The average starting salary IF you were to land a job is around $45-50k/year. At over 200k debt (tuition/interesting/COL/tuition increase) this would take a lifetime to pay back.

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:52 am

None of your current options are worth the crushing debt.

Move to Kentucky, get a job, and study for the LSAT. In-state tuition at UK Louisville + the LSAT bump that will come from months of smart, TLS-guided, non-Kaplan, self-study LSAT prep will give you much better options.

Don't go. Don't spend a huge amount of money you don't have on degrees that aren't worth it.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

stratocophic wrote:
cnwo21 wrote:I personally would be willing to pay the 20 k a year in state tuition. Compared to many schools at a similar ranking (or even lower) this is on the lower end of tuition cost. My main concern is taking it again and having my score go down by some fluke...

Your main concern should be unemployment rather than the possibility of a poor third attempt making it difficult to repeat the TTT options you have. Poke around the forum and see what people are saying about schools like the ones listed. Fwiw, despite slu's "#1" ranking in health law, they put less than 20 people into big firms out of a class of over 300 last year. The other schools are similarly situated (except Akron's one of the worst schools in the country and has had to resort to gimmicks to get people to attend). If you're going to take on 120k in debt with high interest rates (especially after the Feds eliminated subsidized loans), an approximately 6% chance of being able to pay it back in a reasonable time frame is a terrible bet.

Take a year off, work in Kentucky, then reevalute. If nothing else, in state tuition at a state flagship is probably a better outcome than your current options. You really shouldn't be paying out of state tuition at sticker price - with interest, out of state tuition would be almost fifty thousand dollars more expensive than in state tuition - think of the year off as paying you an extra 50k for establishing residency, if you must. Just be aware that there's a real chance that you'll never work as a lawyer if you go to schools like the ones on your list.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm

North - why do you not recommend Kaplan?

Also, would any of you pay sticker at my waitlist options like wake

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm

cnwo21 wrote:North - why do you not recommend Kaplan?

Also, would any of you pay sticker at my waitlist options like wake

Craplan is terrible and a waste of money. I took the Craplan courses and they did almost nothing for me. Then I got on here, followed advice, and studied on my own. Big score improvement.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:22 pm

What about paying for wake.

North

Postby North » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 pm

cnwo21 wrote:What about paying for wake.

Little more than half of Wake's graduates even become lawyers. You probably don't have any NC ties, making it very likely you'll end up on the wrong side of that coin-flip. The half that do are VERY unlikely to make enough to service their debt due to the lack of a large legal market in NC and the bimodal salary distribution for lawyers. That's not anywhere close to worth a non-dischargeable $217,493 plus interest.

Sorry dude. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's not wrong.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:35 pm

The re-take and move to KY suggestions are hereby credited.

Also, NEVER take a scholly with a top 1/3 stipualtion. I don't care how smart you are or how hard you will work, the odds are against you keeping it.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm

why exactly do ties make such a big difference? Although I have "ties" to OH and KY I would happily stay and work in NC.

cnwo21

Postby cnwo21 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm

And I already live in KY now since I'm currently in undergrad there. I would just be getting a new place and staying and working for a year since I am from another state originally before undergrad.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm

retake

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm

cnwo21 wrote:why exactly do ties make such a big difference? Although I have "ties" to OH and KY I would happily stay and work in NC.

For one thing, ties give you a better chance of knowing someone who knows someone who's hiring.

Beyond that, firms like attorneys with ties because (1) having friends/family in the region = a beter chance of you making rain, and (2) they just like hometown folks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”