Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Danteshek wrote:
North wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Moscow is the biggest city in Europe. 50 global law firms have offices there.

I can also work in the financial sector.

Your failure to make partnership in 10 years will be the result of your utter lack of courage and imagination (not to mention your monolingualism and provincialism)

My father, a 1974 UVA Law alum, is embarrassed for you.

A quick look through American law offices in Moscow tells me that the Associates they hire are almost universally Russians with Russian law degrees. The Partners went to English law schools in the 70's. I found one guy who went to Tulane in the 70's, but that was the only American. I seriously wish you good luck breaking into there, bro, looks rough.


I will have a Russian law degree. How many westerners do you know who have even attempted this?

And no, you are definitely not my brother. You are a dishonest, cynical douchebag hoping that I will fall on my face.

Guess what? Failure is a distinct possibility.

However, the board of trustees that selected me, which includes law professors from NYU Law and USC Law, and the managing partner of Patton Boggs, Doha, Qatar, have faith in me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay bro, go get it. And I do, honestly, hope you get a job. Wouldn't wish debt servitude on anybody. It's not cynical to call a 40/60 chance at becoming a lawyer for what it is. Gotta stop shilling your school to kids when it's not worth it for them, though, like you have been lately.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I have every right to share my positive experience at Loyola Law School with prospective students, just like you have every right to share your views on the University of Virginia Law School. I would not presume to offer my views about your school, since I know little about it.

Remember, what I said about Loyola is not really in question: it has a bigger network than Pepperdine and USD and has more curricular depth than those other schools (as a result of being so big). I did not mention anything about what you seem to be so obsessed about: employment at large law firms.

I'm actually a big fan of large and well-resourced law schools. Georgetown is a phenomenal place to study for that very reason (amazing curricular depth).

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:20 pm

WTF is a curricular depth and why should we care about it?

All three schools do a poor job of getting their grads jobs as lawyers. That's not a good distinction for a law school to have.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 pm

You got a cool gig. You like your school. You're thinking outside the box. All great things.

But your outcome is far from typical. Most of your classmates are languishing in un/underemployment. Stop shilling for the school and put down the kool aid. Its fine to share your positive experiences, but when you pass it off like this is a typical outcome and try to pump the school up to something its not, people will call you on it. The data shows that the investment is generally a poor one.

And stop being an arrogant and condescending asshole.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby North » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Danteshek wrote:I have every right to share my positive experience at Loyola Law School with prospective students, just like you have every right to share your views on the University of Virginia Law School. I would not presume to offer my views about your school, since I know little about it.

Remember, what I said about Loyola is not really in question: it has a bigger network than Pepperdine and USD and has more curricular depth than those other schools (as a result of being so big). I did not mention anything about what you seem to be so obsessed about: employment at large law firms.

I'm actually a big fan of large and well-resourced law schools. Georgetown is a phenomenal place to study for that very reason (amazing curricular depth).

You're not getting it my brother.

UVA: Costs $250,000 and gives you a ~40% chance of getting a job as a lawyer that will allow you to pay that back comfortably.

Loyola: Costs $250,000 and gives you a ~40% chance of getting a job as a lawyer at all..

Curricular depth doesn't matter at all, and lol that you think it's so important. And if Loyola's huge alumni network cant get 60% of the class jobs, then what is it worth?

Loyola is a bad bet for almost everybody. None of your experiences change that.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

North is the one who attacked ME, when he demanded to know what MY outcome was. That was an asshole move on HIS part, because it presumes that my opinion is only worth listening to if MY outcome was good (in his mind: an associate position at a large firm).

It is NOT true that I am passing my outcome off as typical. If you re-read my reply to North's assholish comment, you would see that the FIRST thing I said was that my outcome was EXCEPTIONAL. EXCEPTIONAL. Get it?

But now that I think of it, it isn't that exceptional. The three other AEs on LLR (ie. my best friends) all had offers from big firms.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:North is the one who attacked ME, when he demanded to know what MY outcome was. That was an asshole move on HIS part, because it presumes that my opinion is only worth listening to if MY outcome was good (in his mind: an associate position at a large firm).

It is NOT true that I am passing my outcome off as typical. If you re-read my reply to North's assholish comment, you would see that the FIRST thing I said was that my outcome was EXCEPTIONAL. EXCEPTIONAL. Get it?

But now that I think of it, it isn't that exceptional. The three other AEs on LLR (ie. my best friends) all had offers from big firms.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 pm

And yes, the curriculum DOES matter, IF you care about your EDUCATION. I guess all you Neanderthals don't care one iota about what you may or may not be learning. You'll just bill your getting-up-to-speed time to the client.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:And yes, the curriculum DOES matter, IF you care about your EDUCATION. I guess all you Neanderthals don't care one iota about what you may or may not be learning. You'll just bill your getting-up-to-speed time to the client.

lol

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 pm

10% placement into firms of 100+, and only 40% placement into actual lawyer jobs (LT/FT/JD). So yeah I would say your friends' outcomes were pretty fortunate. Exceptional even. I prefer to dish advice based on the general rule, not the exceptions. Yes, some will get great jobs and have rewarding careers. A couple people may have good outcomes outside the LST employment score stat. But the stats are pretty good and the stats don't lie. Loyola is a bad decision for many, if not most, law students who go there.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:And yes, the curriculum DOES matter, IF you care about your EDUCATION. I guess all you Neanderthals don't care one iota about what you may or may not be learning. You'll just bill your getting-up-to-speed time to the client.


You're three days too early with this schtick.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Loyola v. USD v. Pepperdine

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Danteshek wrote:And yes, the curriculum DOES matter, IF you care about your EDUCATION. I guess all you Neanderthals don't care one iota about what you may or may not be learning. You'll just bill your getting-up-to-speed time to the client.


Neanderthals? Ok now I see, you were just trolling. Ok, well played. Carry on.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], lsa16 and 2 guests