-

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
North

Re: Best Law School for academia: Cornell, Duke, or Georgetown?

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am

OP you know that hiring committees at law schools aren't composed of hairdressers, bus drivers and other 'everyday' people who don't have more than a 'that sure sounds fancy' understanding of legal education, right?

Also, lol at GW and their bullshit stats.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am

bzzingbee wrote:
PENN STATE HAD SANDUSKY. Not UPENN. If you mean that most people don't know the difference and that's why Penn now may have a bad reputation, fair. If you did NOT know the difference, this is a PSA. PENN STATE has the famous football team, Sandusky, Paterno. UPenn has the brilliant legal minds.

That went way better than expected

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

moonman157 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I have never understood why Cornell is in the bottom of the T-14.

See above for "IT'S NOT A REAL IVY"

But it's probably because it has the lowest medians in the T14

Cornell is the only Ivy that isn't a Colonial U. It was founded in 1865. Hence "seven ancients" + Cornell and so on.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 pm

carmenjones wrote:LOL! Thanks folks.

I think lay prestige is important. I know that the legal realm is hell-bent on rankings, but I've always been a believer that you should take the overall prestige of the institution that the law school is housed at. In other words: I'd never choose UVA over UPENN no matter how many people tell me that UVA has the better law school.

That being said, I'm completely torn between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown in terms of which school has the best overall reputation.

Sounds like you guys/gals are saying Duke though. Thank you for the perspective.

That's a pretty terrible idea. You're looking for the best legal education and best legal employment prospects. Overall prestige of the institution won't mean jack for getting a job. Why would a legal employer care that the institution is renowned for it's great undergrad liberal arts and engineering focuses? If you care about lay prestige that much, just tell everyone you go to Princeton Law.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
bzzingbee wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Cornell is Ivy league. Open with that at the bars.

Also, I'd venture to say Virginia has more street cred after the whole Sandusky affair.

PENN STATE HAD SANDUSKY. Not UPENN. If you mean that most people don't know the difference and that's why Penn now may have a bad reputation, fair. If you did NOT know the difference, this is a PSA. PENN STATE has the famous football team, Sandusky, Paterno. UPenn has the brilliant legal minds.

No im pretty sure it was UPENN

This joke never gets old :lol: :lol: :lol:

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:
bzzingbee wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Cornell is Ivy league. Open with that at the bars.

Also, I'd venture to say Virginia has more street cred after the whole Sandusky affair.

No im pretty sure it was UPENN

This joke never gets old :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah? It's pretty fucking stale IMO.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”