- Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carmenjones

New

-

Post by carmenjones » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 am

-
Last edited by carmenjones on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonman157

Silver

Re: Best Law School for academia: Cornell, Duke, or Georgetown?

Post by moonman157 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:14 am

carmenjones wrote:It's common knowledge that if you want to be a law professor you usually go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford or University of Chicago.

Well this post is not about those schools.

Between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown---which school do you think has the best academic reputation "on the street" (i.e. among everyday folks)? Likewise, which of these three schools would be the best choice for someone who aspires to become a law professor?

Really interested in hearing people's detailed thoughts.
For some reason I found this line absolutely hilarious.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 am

moonman157 wrote:
carmenjones wrote:It's common knowledge that if you want to be a law professor you usually go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford or University of Chicago.

Between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown---which school do you think has the best academic reputation "on the street" (i.e. among everyday folks)? Likewise, which of these three schools would be the best choice for someone who aspires to become a law professor?

Also who cares what everyday folk think.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 am

None of those schools place enough students in academia to justify that as your primary reason for attending. I'd go Duke just for the best outcome in terms of employment thats actually reasonably possible.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

Also who cares what everyday folk think.
:lol: That line was golden. I agree Ruxin. The average person knows more about Duke's basketball program and ranking compared to their law program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 am

So this blew my mind. (A ranking of what percent of the 2011 graduating classes went into academia.)

But I verified some of the numbers on LST and they seem to be right. (I checked because I actually thought the thing was broken!)

Of course, I'd bet the jobs of Yale graduates in academia are generally better (tenure track, for example) than George Washington graduates.
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

carmenjones

New

Post by carmenjones » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:27 am

LOL! Thanks folks.

I think lay prestige is important. I know that the legal realm is hell-bent on rankings, but I've always been a believer that you should take the overall prestige of the institution that the law school is housed at. In other words: I'd never choose UVA over UPENN no matter how many people tell me that UVA has the better law school.

That being said, I'm completely torn between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown in terms of which school has the best overall reputation.

Sounds like you guys/gals are saying Duke though. Thank you for the perspective.

carmenjones

New

Post by carmenjones » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 am

[quote="LSATSCORES2012"]So this blew my mind. (A ranking of what percent of the 2011 graduating classes went into academia.)

But I verified some of the numbers on LST and they seem to be right.

Of course, I'd bet the jobs of Yale graduates in academia are generally better (tenure track, for example) than George Washington graduates.[/quote

Wow. thanks for sharing that list. GW eh? Who knew?

Here's another list---to me this one seems a little more aligned with most people's general assumptions about where law professors come form.
http://leiterrankings.com/new/2011_LawTeachers.shtml

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 am

carmenjones wrote:LOL! Thanks folks.

I think lay prestige is important. I know that the legal realm is hell-bent on rankings, but I've always been a believer that you should take the overall prestige of the institution that the law school is housed at. In other words: I'd never choose UVA over UPENN no matter how many people tell me that UVA has the better law school.

That being said, I'm completely torn between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown in terms of which school has the best overall reputation.

Sounds like you guys/gals are saying Duke though. Thank you for the perspective.
It depends largely on who you ask and in what geographic location we're talking about. There's no clear winner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:So this blew my mind. (A ranking of what percent of the 2011 graduating classes went into academia.)

But I verified some of the numbers on LST and they seem to be right. (I checked because I actually thought the thing was broken!)

Of course, I'd bet the jobs of Yale graduates in academia are generally better (tenure track, for example) than George Washington graduates.
That's a very broad definition of "academia"

Those numbers are a joke

OP, you want this

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... ng-report/

Bottom line:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:None of those schools place enough students in academia to justify that as your primary reason for attending.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 am

rad lulz wrote:That's a very broad definition of "academia"
Makes sense... I doubt whether most of those jobs are tenure-track positions (which is what the Leiter rankings include).

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 am

For academia, I think Duke is the clear winner. Not that it matters -- Duke isn't going to get you COA clerkship or an academic job unless you absolutely kill it (just like the others), become a well known appellate litigator, or publish a lot as a practitioner.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

I doubt "everyday folks" have any opinion about the academic differences between Cornell, Duke, and Georgetown - they're all highly-ranked, fancy, private, and expensive. And since "everyday folks" don't undertake academic hiring, I don't know why it matters what the "everyday folks" think about the schools if you want to go into academia.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:55 am

Cornell is Ivy league. Open with that at the bars.

Also, I'd venture to say Virginia has more street cred after the whole Sandusky affair.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 am

sinfiery wrote:Cornell is Ivy league. Open with that at the bars.
:lol: I wish that worked. Any one who's 1/2 way intelligent will just respond "BARELY IVY LEAGUE!!!" :cry:

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:37 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:So this blew my mind. (A ranking of what percent of the 2011 graduating classes went into academia.)

By pure lay prestige doesn't the Ivy League beat everything else? I mean as far as the average person is concerned Cornell is right up there with Harvard and Yale.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 am

I have never understood why Cornell is in the bottom of the T-14.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I have never understood why Cornell is in the bottom of the T-14.
See above for "IT'S NOT A REAL IVY"

But it's probably because it has the lowest medians in the T14

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:That's a very broad definition of "academia"
Makes sense... I doubt whether most of those jobs are tenure-track positions (which is what the Leiter rankings include).
Most of those jobs aren't "academic" jobs in the sense of the definition that's being talked about (working in the admissions office, as an academic adviser, etc.).

OP--Duke might have a very small edge over the other two, but academia is a long shot from any of the three. But, if you are able to distinguish yourself at any of the three and do the right things (law review, ed board, COA clerkship, produce really good scholarship, etc.) then it's a possibility from all three. It's just a long shot possibility and you shouldn't go to any of the three with an "academia or bust" perspective.

Also another thing to consider: the legal academic market is starting to collapse. It might not be the best time to try to get in, since it's probably going to get increasing difficult in the next few years (and there might be significant structural changes taking place).

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

kapital98 wrote:
:lol: I wish that worked. Any one who's 1/2 way intelligent will just respond "BARELY IVY LEAGUE!!!" :cry:
Works for me apparently the women I hit on don't know the difference, heck half of them barely know its ivy league rather than the other way around that its barely and ivy league school. Difference, being once they figure out that it is ivy league they are in awe that I go there. Worth this years tuition right there.

bzzingbee

New

Post by bzzingbee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am

Also, I'd venture to say Virginia has more street cred after the whole Sandusky affair.
PENN STATE HAD SANDUSKY. Not UPENN. If you mean that most people don't know the difference and that's why Penn now may have a bad reputation, fair. If you did NOT know the difference, this is a PSA. PENN STATE has the famous football team, Sandusky, Paterno. UPenn has the brilliant legal minds.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 am

bzzingbee wrote:

PENN STATE HAD SANDUSKY. Not UPENN. If you mean that most people don't know the difference and that's why Penn now may have a bad reputation, fair. If you did NOT know the difference, this is a PSA. PENN STATE has the famous football team, Sandusky, Paterno. UPenn has the brilliant legal minds.
Dude, it's a running joke at ATL and here that no one call tell the difference between UPenn and Penn State.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 am

bzzingbee wrote:

No im pretty sure it was UPENN

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”