Campbell University v. U. of South Carolina

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Campbell or U. of South Carolina

Campbell University's School of Law in Raleigh, NC
18%
University of South Carolina School of Law in Columbia, SC
82%

Total votes: 17

pagecas0

Campbell University v. U. of South Carolina

Postby pagecas0 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:06 pm

I could really use some help deciding which law school I ought to choose: Campbell University in Raleigh, NC or University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC.

I've made pro/con lists, visited both campuses, conversed with current students, etc., but my choice still seems impossible.

I've been accepted at both schools, money/tuition is not relevant, I'd be equally happy in either state, both schools offer programs that I'm interested in.....

The only real differences seem to be that:
- Campbell is private - USC is public
- Campbell is small - USC is big
- USC has a higher ranking than Campbell - but do rankings really matter?
- USC has better name recognition than Campbell - but isn't that just a given since Campbell is private?
- I already have housing at USC - but it seems a trivial point to make in the scheme of things.
- I already have some professional connections in Columbia, SC - but I'm a people-person and I don't think I'd have trouble making connections in a new area.

All in all, I could really use some feedback and/or suggestions of things I may have not yet considered.

Thank You!

skw

Re: Campbell University v. U. of South Carolina

Postby skw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:35 pm

pagecas0 wrote:I could really use some help deciding which law school I ought to choose: Campbell University in Raleigh, NC or University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC.

I've made pro/con lists, visited both campuses, conversed with current students, etc., but my choice still seems impossible.

I've been accepted at both schools, money/tuition is not relevant, I'd be equally happy in either state, both schools offer programs that I'm interested in.....

The only real differences seem to be that:
- Campbell is private - USC is public
- Campbell is small - USC is big
- USC has a higher ranking than Campbell - but do rankings really matter?
- USC has better name recognition than Campbell - but isn't that just a given since Campbell is private?
- I already have housing at USC - but it seems a trivial point to make in the scheme of things.
- I already have some professional connections in Columbia, SC - but I'm a people-person and I don't think I'd have trouble making connections in a new area.

All in all, I could really use some feedback and/or suggestions of things I may have not yet considered.

Thank You!

If you would be equally happy in SC or NC, I would advise USC. Campbell students compete with Duke and UNC grads for NC jobs. Only the absolute top handful of students at Campbell have a shot at NC "big law" or desirable PI -- compared with top 15-25% at UNC and top 30-40% at Duke (obviously guesstimates). Campbell has all closed book exams and they auto-fail a percent of the class after each semester. From my discussions with Campbell students, the experience (compared to Carolina's laid back, we want everyone to do their best vibe) is unnecessarily stressful. That plus competing with grads from 2 vastly superior schools makes Campbell a big risk. SC's legal market is smaller than NC, but you say you have connections (which I presume means ties of some kind too). SC all the way on this analysis. Live in Charleston. Enjoy the coast after Columbia.

North

Postby North » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:02 pm

What is the total cost of attendance (including cost of living) at each of these schools?

What do you want to do with your law degree?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm

North wrote:What is the total cost of attendance (including cost of living) at each of these schools?

What do you want to do with your law degree?

Need to know this

Also add interest on the loans

Use the georgetown law cost of attendance calculator

NCresident88

Postby NCresident88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

I currently live in NC, but am originally from SC. I have friends who graduated from Campbell Law and family who graduated from USC Law, so I hope I can shed some light on your question.

If you look at 2011 ABA employment data, Campbell placed over 70% of grads in long term full time jobs requiring bar passage vs. USC, which placed only 55% in long term full time jobs requiring bar passage. This is something you should really consider. Going to a fairly prestigious undergrad school in NC, I would have easily dismissed Campbell Law a year ago. However, since taking a year off, looking at their employment numbers and working with attorneys and Campbell alum, I've learned about its great alumni network in NC and how well respected it is. There are plenty of judges and well off Campbell attorneys. That said, if u want a shot a biglaw or a high paying job right after graduation, it's very, very slim. USC Law might be better for placing kids into SC big or midlaw since it dominates SC. As the previous poster mentioned, UNC, Wake and Duke will be dominating these jobs in NC. I'm still deciding, but I'll probably end up at Wake or UNC, but I gave Campbell a hard look too. I was really impressed when I toured the school, although I've never toured USC Law so I can't compare.

I think you'd do fine with either SC or Campbell (although I personally lean towards Campbell), so it mostly depends on where you prefer to live and practice law. Campbell places most all grads in NC, whereas USC places most grads in SC. One thing you might want to consider is that Raleigh is consistently ranked the best city to live and is the fastest growing city in America. Personally, I would never move to back to Columbia after living in Raleigh, but my preference is for bigger cities w/ more opportunities and things to do. Hope this helps!

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 pm

NCresident88 wrote:I currently live in NC, but am originally from SC. I have friends who graduated from Campbell Law and family who graduated from USC Law, so I hope I can shed some light on your question.

If you look at 2011 ABA employment data, Campbell placed over 70% of grads in long term full time jobs requiring bar passage vs. USC, which placed only 55% in long term full time jobs requiring bar passage. This is something you should really consider. Going to a fairly prestigious undergrad school in NC, I would have easily dismissed Campbell Law a year ago. However, since taking a year off, looking at their employment numbers and working with attorneys and Campbell alum, I've learned about its great alumni network in NC and how well respected it is. There are plenty of judges and well off Campbell attorneys. That said, if u want a shot a biglaw or a high paying job right after graduation, it's very, very slim. USC Law might be better for placing kids into SC big or midlaw since it dominates SC. As the previous poster mentioned, UNC, Wake and Duke will be dominating these jobs in NC. I'm still deciding, but I'll probably end up at Wake or UNC, but I gave Campbell a hard look too. I was really impressed when I toured the school, although I've never toured USC Law so I can't compare.

I think you'd do fine with either SC or Campbell (although I personally lean towards Campbell), so it mostly depends on where you prefer to live and practice law. Campbell places most all grads in NC, whereas USC places most grads in SC. One thing you might want to consider is that Raleigh is consistently ranked the best city to live and is the fastest growing city in America. Personally, I would never move to back to Columbia after living in Raleigh, but my preference is for bigger cities w/ more opportunities and things to do. Hope this helps!

None of this matters until OP says how much these schools will cost him. A Campbell JD is not worth $226,213. A USC JD is not worth $221,045.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

all things equal, USC.

but i'd be cautious of either. NC & SC have especially high unemployment. at least with USC you are going to the flagship school, but i'd probably only go there if i was from SC/had ties there - very parochial market.

NCresident88

Postby NCresident88 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Why are you all forgetting that OP said "I've been accepted at both schools, money/tuition is not relevant".

He clearly said he's not concerned about money, so the discussion here should be on the merits of each law school in terms of getting a job, academics, location, etc.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm surprised nobody has said this...but my advice would be to retake and reapply. There are better schools out there. Even if you want to stay in NC or SC if you go to a better law school you will have a shot at a better job. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but that is the best advice I can give you. FYI I graduated undergrad at USC and have been an SC native for a long time but I still wouldn't go there.

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

NCresident88 wrote:Why are you all forgetting that OP said "I've been accepted at both schools, money/tuition is not relevant".

He clearly said he's not concerned about money, so the discussion here should be on the merits of each law school in terms of getting a job, academics, location, etc.

No, because neither of these schools are worth $200,000 plus interest no matter whose money is being blown on them.

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has said this...but my advice would be to retake and reapply. There are better schools out there. Even if you want to stay in NC or SC if you go to a better law school you will have a shot at a better job. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but that is the best advice I can give you. FYI I graduated undergrad at USC and have been an SC native for a long time but I still wouldn't go there.

This is probably where the questions about cost were leading. Once in a blue moon, though, the price, ties, and goals work out to where schools like these aren't terrible options. Have to rule that out first before telling OP to retake or not go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”