UVA for big firm southern offices?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iemb13

UVA for big firm southern offices?

Postby iemb13 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi folks,

First the details:
-I can go to UVA debt-free due to substantial scholarship and minimal (less than 20k total) personal savings contribution + spouse contribution
-Goal is big firm in a large southern city, but want the best combo of options in case my goals prove too difficult- as of now, also interested in public service later
-Born, raised, undergrad, and current job in the south, so no issue with ties to MS, GA, AL or TN realistically
-Acceptances to NYU,Penn, Chicago, Duke, Cornell, and Vandy, but no other options leave me debt free.
-Current job has low growth potential and I am aware of the actual life and work of a lawyer

Questions:
-Of my options, is UVA the strongest for opening doors to large firms in big southern cities?
-What is your best estimate for where the class rank cutoff (on average) is for UVA grads seeking NYC and DC biglaw?

Thanks in advance!

iemb13

Re: UVA for big firm southern offices?

Postby iemb13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Any help?

JO 14

Postby JO 14 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:24 pm

The deal you have with UVA seems very good. As far as opening southern doors, not as good as several of the other schools you listed. UVA has been funding a high percentage (17%) of their students who are unable to secure any employment.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

JO 14 wrote:The deal you have with UVA seems very good. As far as opening southern doors, not as good as several of the other schools you listed. UVA has been funding a high percentage (17%) of their students who are unable to secure any employment.

really? I was thinking only Duke and maybe Vandy could compare to UVA for Southern placement, and when you are able to go to UVA debt free with southern offices as your final goal. I feel the decision as to which to go to is pretty obvious. OP, how much in debt would you be from the other schools? Some people may argue some debt at other top choices is worth it.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:42 pm

JO 14 wrote:The deal you have with UVA seems very good. As far as opening southern doors, not as good as several of the other schools you listed. UVA has been funding a high percentage (17%) of their students who are unable to secure any employment.

This is flat out wrong. UVA's reputation in the south is very strong. NYU, Penn, Cornell, and Chicago maybe have equal standing in the south, but no way do they outplace UVA in any significant way.

As for the 17% figure, there's been a thread on this where the issue is basically boiled down to the fact that yes, UVA has more school-funded jobs, but 80% of those who undertook those "fellowships" were in JD-required jobs the next year. The quality of those jobs vary, but it's not like you'll be in a basement doing filing for the law school.

JO 14

Postby JO 14 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm

RSterling wrote:UVA's reputation in the south is very strong.

What city in the south? From all accounts, Atlanta is a blood bath… Florida, along with the other southern states are deep with law schools. So, where to?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm

JO 14 wrote:
RSterling wrote:UVA's reputation in the south is very strong.

What city in the south? From all accounts, Atlanta is a blood bath… Florida, along with the other southern states are deep with law schools. So, where to?

This has nothing to do with UVA's placement and everything to do with the state of that job market. Surely you can see that? It's not easy to get a job at a southern firm but UVA will be as good for it as anywhere.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:58 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This has nothing to do with UVA's placement and everything to do with the state of that job market. Surely you can see that? It's not easy to get a job at a southern firm but UVA will be as good for it as anywhere.

Pretty much this

The south has few "biglaw" jobs

edit: ESPECIALLY MS and TN

iemb13

Postby iemb13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks for all of the quick replies, I really appreciate it.

Basically, I am gathering the sense that for my goals, UVA is likely the best option, and makes sense given the debt-free option. I am aware that there is little, if any, actual Biglaw in the south, I only meant larger firms (i.e. not small-town 5-20 person shops).

Regarding debt at the other schools I'm in at:
NYU and Chicago would each incur over 100k of debt
Penn- roughly 125k
Vandy- almost debt-free, if not then less than 30k.

My situation developed uniquely at UVA and my app was completely tailored for the school, which is why my offer there is much better than "competing" offers in similar schools.

Thanks for all the help!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 pm

I dunno. I bet you have a 171+/3.89+

Either way, gratz and gl

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 pm

RSterling wrote:

This is flat out wrong. UVA's reputation in the south is very strong. NYU, Penn, Cornell, and Chicago maybe have equal standing in the south, but no way do they outplace UVA in any significant way.

As for the 17% figure, there's been a thread on this where the issue is basically boiled down to the fact that yes, UVA has more school-funded jobs, but 80% of those who undertook those "fellowships" were in JD-required jobs the next year. The quality of those jobs vary, but it's not like you'll be in a basement doing filing for the law school.

Why did you leave out Duke? Are you saying they obviously have equal (or superior?) status in the South or is this egregious trolling on your part?

North

Postby North » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”