Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Cornell (150,000)
26
79%
Duke (75,000)
3
9%
Columbia (sticker?)
4
12%
 
Total votes: 33

iwehoihtihelt
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby iwehoihtihelt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

$150,000 at Cornell vs. $75,000 (negotiating) at Duke v. assumed sticker at Columbia:

I would love thoughts on this--I know there's already a post about a similar situation, but I'm hoping more people will see this posted separately rather than as a comment on that thread.

-I want NYC big law, but haven't worked in that field so can't be 100% sure
-I want to end up in NYC (or at least the Northeast)
-I would be taking out loans for almost all of the remaining costs

The scholarship money is complicating my decision. I've been looking at employment statistics and info, but can't tell how alumni networks, prestige, etc. play into it (I don't know many people working in the field, especially 2-3 years out of law school). For example, I assumed and it seems true that Cornell places well in NYC, but more firms interview on campus at Duke and I've heard they have very strong alumni connections. Since I want to end up in NYC, would the opportunities at Duke be worth the cost difference?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

Obviously wait for your CLS aid, but I can't imagine it will be enough to make Cornell not worth it.

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm

iwehoihtihelt wrote:$150,000 at Cornell vs. $75,000 (negotiating) at Duke v. assumed sticker at Columbia:

I would love thoughts on this--I know there's already a post about a similar situation, but I'm hoping more people will see this posted separately rather than as a comment on that thread.

-I want NYC big law, but haven't worked in that field so can't be 100% sure
-I want to end up in NYC (or at least the Northeast)
-I would be taking out loans for almost all of the remaining costs

The scholarship money is complicating my decision. I've been looking at employment statistics and info, but can't tell how alumni networks, prestige, etc. play into it (I don't know many people working in the field, especially 2-3 years out of law school). For example, I assumed and it seems true that Cornell places well in NYC, but more firms interview on campus at Duke and I've heard they have very strong alumni connections. Since I want to end up in NYC, would the opportunities at Duke be worth the cost difference?
Any thoughts are much appreciated!


No, take the 150K from Cornell and never look back.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Bronck wrote:Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

Obviously wait for your CLS aid, but I can't imagine it will be enough to make Cornell not worth it.

That's extremely good for Cornell. I don't think this is a hard choice.
Disclosure: current Cornell 1L, but I'd say follow the money if Duke was the one giving out the 150k.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby sinfiery » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm

It would probably take 75k from CLS for me to pick it over Cornell full ride and I've had this unhealthy obsession with NYC for like 8 years now.


Given your goals, Duke and Cornell are almost a toss up at the same COA.

Gratz on the scholarship. Enjoy having a managable debt load with a t14 JD. Seriously jealous.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Bronck wrote:Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

Obviously wait for your CLS aid, but I can't imagine it will be enough to make Cornell not worth it.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Also if you're worried about firms coming to Cornell's OCI, keep in mind that the main recruiting event is actually off campus in NYC. So if you are using NALP to search for which firms come, most of the big NYC firms actually don't show up using the regular search. Instead, try searching for "Cornell" in the other/job fairs/whatever it's called tab.

User avatar
HBBJohnStamos
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Scar where is that? Can you poast a link?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby SportsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm

SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+


I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby SportsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

deputydog wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+


I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

More worth it? Nah. But it starts becoming debatable at that point IMO.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

SportsFan wrote:
deputydog wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+


I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

More worth it? Nah. But it starts becoming debatable at that point IMO.


Cornell takes the cake for OP at current status @ nearly full ride.

Everything is relative and depends on your debt aversion. deputydog, I think you are a particularly debt averse applicant from your comments and there are many others like you who find a 30K/year scholarship difference more compelling than better prospects coming out. I'm sure you could find equally many folks who would see it the other way. We are not dealing in absolute truths by any stretch

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby curious66 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 pm

deputydog wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+


I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?


OP should do Cornell. Nothing like less debt and great placement anyway.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
deputydog wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+


I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

More worth it? Nah. But it starts becoming debatable at that point IMO.


Cornell takes the cake for OP at current status @ nearly full ride.

Everything is relative and depends on your debt aversion. deputydog, I think you are a particularly debt averse applicant from your comments and there are many others like you who find a 30K/year scholarship difference more compelling than better prospects coming out. I'm sure you could find equally many folks who would see it the other way. We are not dealing in absolute truths by any stretch


I'm one of the less debt averse ones, but at this level of scholarship the OP doesn't need biglaw to pay it off. $1,000/mo for 10 years would kind of suck, but its not the end of the world if he finds a job he'd enjoy more than biglaw.

If he REALLY wants biglaw, then yeah, at that point its debateable IMO




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests