Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell (150,000)
79%
Duke (75,000)
9%
Columbia (sticker?)
12%

Total votes: 33

iwehoihtihelt

Postby iwehoihtihelt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

$150,000 at Cornell vs. $75,000 (negotiating) at Duke v. assumed sticker at Columbia:

I would love thoughts on this--I know there's already a post about a similar situation, but I'm hoping more people will see this posted separately rather than as a comment on that thread.

-I want NYC big law, but haven't worked in that field so can't be 100% sure
-I want to end up in NYC (or at least the Northeast)
-I would be taking out loans for almost all of the remaining costs

The scholarship money is complicating my decision. I've been looking at employment statistics and info, but can't tell how alumni networks, prestige, etc. play into it (I don't know many people working in the field, especially 2-3 years out of law school). For example, I assumed and it seems true that Cornell places well in NYC, but more firms interview on campus at Duke and I've heard they have very strong alumni connections. Since I want to end up in NYC, would the opportunities at Duke be worth the cost difference?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Bronck

Re: Cornell ($$$) v. Duke ($$) v. Columbia (?)

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

Obviously wait for your CLS aid, but I can't imagine it will be enough to make Cornell not worth it.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm

iwehoihtihelt wrote:$150,000 at Cornell vs. $75,000 (negotiating) at Duke v. assumed sticker at Columbia:

I would love thoughts on this--I know there's already a post about a similar situation, but I'm hoping more people will see this posted separately rather than as a comment on that thread.

-I want NYC big law, but haven't worked in that field so can't be 100% sure
-I want to end up in NYC (or at least the Northeast)
-I would be taking out loans for almost all of the remaining costs

The scholarship money is complicating my decision. I've been looking at employment statistics and info, but can't tell how alumni networks, prestige, etc. play into it (I don't know many people working in the field, especially 2-3 years out of law school). For example, I assumed and it seems true that Cornell places well in NYC, but more firms interview on campus at Duke and I've heard they have very strong alumni connections. Since I want to end up in NYC, would the opportunities at Duke be worth the cost difference?
Any thoughts are much appreciated!

No, take the 150K from Cornell and never look back.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Bronck wrote:Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

Obviously wait for your CLS aid, but I can't imagine it will be enough to make Cornell not worth it.

That's extremely good for Cornell. I don't think this is a hard choice.
Disclosure: current Cornell 1L, but I'd say follow the money if Duke was the one giving out the 150k.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm

It would probably take 75k from CLS for me to pick it over Cornell full ride and I've had this unhealthy obsession with NYC for like 8 years now.

Given your goals, Duke and Cornell are almost a toss up at the same COA.

Gratz on the scholarship. Enjoy having a managable debt load with a t14 JD. Seriously jealous.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Bronck wrote:Given your NYC-centric goals, Cornell is the obvious choice here. No question about it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Also if you're worried about firms coming to Cornell's OCI, keep in mind that the main recruiting event is actually off campus in NYC. So if you are using NALP to search for which firms come, most of the big NYC firms actually don't show up using the regular search. Instead, try searching for "Cornell" in the other/job fairs/whatever it's called tab.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Scar where is that? Can you poast a link?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm

SportsFan wrote:Cornell unless Columbia gives you $60k+

I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

deputydog wrote:

I'm not being argumentative. Is that really the line where Columbia becomes more worth it than Cornell? I just can't imagine leaving 90k on the table like that. What does everyone think?

More worth it? Nah. But it starts becoming debatable at that point IMO.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:35 pm

SportsFan wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Cornell takes the cake for OP at current status @ nearly full ride.

Everything is relative and depends on your debt aversion. deputydog, I think you are a particularly debt averse applicant from your comments and there are many others like you who find a 30K/year scholarship difference more compelling than better prospects coming out. I'm sure you could find equally many folks who would see it the other way. We are not dealing in absolute truths by any stretch

curious66

Postby curious66 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 pm

deputydog wrote:

OP should do Cornell. Nothing like less debt and great placement anyway.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Cornell takes the cake for OP at current status @ nearly full ride.

Everything is relative and depends on your debt aversion. deputydog, I think you are a particularly debt averse applicant from your comments and there are many others like you who find a 30K/year scholarship difference more compelling than better prospects coming out. I'm sure you could find equally many folks who would see it the other way. We are not dealing in absolute truths by any stretch

I'm one of the less debt averse ones, but at this level of scholarship the OP doesn't need biglaw to pay it off. $1,000/mo for 10 years would kind of suck, but its not the end of the world if he finds a job he'd enjoy more than biglaw.

If he REALLY wants biglaw, then yeah, at that point its debateable IMO

Return to “Choosing a Law School”