UGA vs. William & Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UGA or William & Mary

UGA
38%
William & Mary
63%

Total votes: 16

mysticmutt423

New

UGA vs. William & Mary

Post by mysticmutt423 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:21 pm

I visited William and Mary this weekend and loved it, but University of Georgia is about $20,000 less overall (have not visited, but with the scholarship increase they just sent me I am now considering it). I would like to have the option to live outside of Georgia after law school. Is this a possibility with a UGA law degree? What are other comparisions between the two that may place one above the other?

ironbmike

Bronze

Re: UGA vs. William & Mary

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 pm

mysticmutt423 wrote:I visited William and Mary this weekend and loved it, but University of Georgia is about $20,000 less overall (have not visited, but with the scholarship increase they just sent me I am now considering it). I would like to have the option to live outside of Georgia after law school. Is this a possibility with a UGA law degree? What are other comparisions between the two that may place one above the other?
Are you from GA? Are you dead-set on leaving GA after school? Also was at W&M on Sat - enjoyed it as well.

mysticmutt423

New

Post by mysticmutt423 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

I've actually never been to Georgia, which is why I'd like to make sure I have other options as well after law school.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Well I think UGA has better employment numbers, but 66% of UGA grads stay in GA after school. At W&M, only ~37% stay in VA and ~35% stay in the region.

Just depends which you like better I guess and which factors you emphasize.

matrim

Bronze

Post by matrim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 pm

mysticmutt423 wrote:I've actually never been to Georgia, which is why I'd like to make sure I have other options as well after law school.
For this post to be answered you would need to tell us: Total costs of attending (cost of living, tuition, etc(=), Where you want to work, what kind of law you want to practice. Currently not enough info for anyone to give you "good" advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mysticmutt423

New

Post by mysticmutt423 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am

matrim wrote:
mysticmutt423 wrote:I've actually never been to Georgia, which is why I'd like to make sure I have other options as well after law school.
For this post to be answered you would need to tell us: Total costs of attending (cost of living, tuition, etc(=), Where you want to work, what kind of law you want to practice. Currently not enough info for anyone to give you "good" advice.
The cost of attendance for William & Mary would be $35,100 per year (if I can receive in-state tuition, I am currently in the process of becoming a resident of Virginia) and for UGA it would be $29,924 per year. Optimally I would like to end up somewhere along the east coast, but don't want my options to be too limited. I'm not sure exactly what type of law I want to go into, but I am currently considering something in the goverment and am interested in public interest law.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:42 am

Did you add interest and cost of living to those CoA totals

mysticmutt423

New

Post by mysticmutt423 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am

Cost of living is included. I did not included interest.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am

mysticmutt423 wrote:Cost of living is included. I did not included interest.
Include it

Use the georgetown law calculator.

You can find it via google

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Where are you from looking to live. If not Georgia, then UGA placement will not do much for you. If you are happy to live in GA then UGA is a good option. Remember most schools are very regional for the most part. While W&M is very heavy Mid-Atlantic in placement, those with ties from else where do land firm gigs, (Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas) but that's more the exception than rule. Think long and hard about where you want to be long term when considering. Also negotiate scholarships before committing.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:22 pm

UGA 3L here- living outside GA witha UGA degree is possible (we even have some firms from other states at OCI) but its hard to get out if your not in at least the top 25%. I know several people with jobs outside the state (myself included) but the range is not that far and most of these have some other connection or at the top of the class. Most people end up working in the Atlanta area, but you have to remember if you dont get a job around Atlanta, living in the rest of the state is probably not to most people's tastes.

However, I think that the idea that UGA definitely means GA forever is a bit of a myth that is reinforced largely by the self-selection of the student body.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”