Pace, Cuse, Albany, Temple

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mikey27

Pace, Cuse, Albany, Temple

Postby Mikey27 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey guys,
First post. I've come to these boards to humbly ask for anyone's insight, hoping it help me make my law school decision. A few important points you should know: 1) I am from North Jersey and have a job secured for me at my father's practice upon passing the BAR. I would like to take over his practice after he retires. 2) I scored a 153 on the LSAT. Very low score, I know, but I've taken it 3 times already and will not retake again. 3) I will be financing with loans.

My top considerations based on the merit scholarships I've been offered are Pace (27k scholly, top 50% stip), 'Cuse (25k scholly, 2.80 gpa stip), and Albany (25k scholly, top 67% stip). Some other offers include St. John's (5k schol), Hofstra (10k), Seton Hall (sticker). I was turned down by Rutgers. Further, I'm waiting on Temple, though I'd expect to receive sticker out-of-state price (32k) if I'm accepted.

I have a good gig, I won't lie. My old man is an excellent advocate and has a loyal clientele. Further, I reckon he'll be a phenomenal mentor. I did read a section on this site where the author wrote something along the lines of "Some are going to LS with intention of taking over their father/mother's practice. Those students should choose a school where they will be happy." Maybe I need some affirmations/challenges to this statement from you guys. I guess what I'd like to know, with my situation being considered, is whether I have correct line of thinking. Should I be looking for the lowest COA? I don't want to close all other doors after passing the BAR but I do realize I would be seriously limiting my opportunities choosing, say, Pace over 'Cuse.

Lastly, I'm not interested in BigLaw.

Much appreciated guys :)

deadpanic

Re: Pace, Cuse, Albany, Temple

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm

It is definitely a huge advantage that you have a job promised to you out of graduation, but that does not mean you should go to any of these schools if you are taking out loans. What would your salary be at your dad's practice after graduation?

Cuse would still be well over 120,000 even with the scholarship. The fact of the matter is you are taking out loans that other people are taking out at schools like cornell, duke & michigan, where they have a decent shot at earning 160K out of law school. i find it highly doubtful that you will be making anything near 6 figures, but can you give us more info on what you'd expect to make? it's very important in determining how much you should borrow.

do not even consider a school that offers a stipulation like top 50%. i would rule pace out. the other offers of 5k/10k, etc. are a drop in the bucket considering their tuition is close (or over) 40K per year. pace vs. cuse - the job prospects are probably equally as bad.

i would not take any of these schools with their current offers. re-take & try for rutgers. if you just got a few more points, you're probably in.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Retake, bro. If you've got a job waiting for you, then there's absolutely no rush. Retake, crush the LSAT, and go to the cheapest school you can.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Retake, bro. If you've got a job waiting for you, then there's absolutely no rush. Retake, crush the LSAT, and go to the cheapest school you can.

TITCR. If you have work lined up for you, why drop $100,000+ on a degree? For for dirt cheap and then go take the job.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm

While it's great you have a pretty solid fallback plan, usually this fallback plan comes with zero debt. That you have debt is going to be a problem.

Look, all you need is a JD that lets you sit for the exam. So take a year, work for your Dad (and get to know more about law and the clients since law school won't teach you jack) and retake until you get a full ride. Or in-state at Rutgers.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Mikey27 wrote:Hey guys,
First post. I've come to these boards to humbly ask for anyone's insight, hoping it help me make my law school decision. A few important points you should know: 1) I am from North Jersey and have a job secured for me at my father's practice upon passing the BAR. I would like to take over his practice after he retires. 2) I scored a 153 on the LSAT. Very low score, I know, but I've taken it 3 times already and will not retake again. 3) I will be financing with loans.

My top considerations based on the merit scholarships I've been offered are Pace (27k scholly, top 50% stip), 'Cuse (25k scholly, 2.80 gpa stip), and Albany (25k scholly, top 67% stip). Some other offers include St. John's (5k schol), Hofstra (10k), Seton Hall (sticker). I was turned down by Rutgers. Further, I'm waiting on Temple, though I'd expect to receive sticker out-of-state price (32k) if I'm accepted.

I have a good gig, I won't lie. My old man is an excellent advocate and has a loyal clientele. Further, I reckon he'll be a phenomenal mentor. I did read a section on this site where the author wrote something along the lines of "Some are going to LS with intention of taking over their father/mother's practice. Those students should choose a school where they will be happy." Maybe I need some affirmations/challenges to this statement from you guys. I guess what I'd like to know, with my situation being considered, is whether I have correct line of thinking. Should I be looking for the lowest COA? I don't want to close all other doors after passing the BAR but I do realize I would be seriously limiting my opportunities choosing, say, Pace over 'Cuse.

Retake-->Party for a year-->Get a full ride to a school you would be happy attending-->Graduate--->Enjoy life.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Mikey27 wrote: 2) I scored a 153 on the LSAT. Very low score, I know, but I've taken it 3 times already and will not retake again
I'm not sure if everyone ITT missed this part or they're advocating for you to retake when it becomes possible again.

With the guaranteed job, I think you should try to minimize debt as much as possible. Negotiate with the schools for as much scholarship money as possible and, more importantly, to get the stips removed. Then go to the one with the lowest COA.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

If you have a guaranteed job, why not just move to Vermont for a couple of years to work as an apprentice, take the Vermont bar, then waive into New York? That would be your best solution. Don't waste money on these schools.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

Mikey27 wrote:Hey guys,

How profitable is your dads practice? What are its long term prospects? Can his book of business be poached?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”