Delete

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
billiris321

Delete

Postby billiris321 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:08 am

Delete
Last edited by billiris321 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFprez

Re: International Student-Where should I enrol?

Postby CFprez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 am

ummm since no one has said it first. retake

CFprez

Postby CFprez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:21 am

also since you are 21 retake

billiris321

Postby billiris321 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 am

Retake is not an option. My reason is because I said so. Deal with it.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 am

Where do you want to live/ practice?

None of those schools are any good at placing their students nationally.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 am

billiris321 wrote:Retake is not an option. My reason is because I said so. Deal with it.

If this is truly your reason, retake.

If not, depends in part, like the other guy said, on where you want to practice.

What do you mean by it won't be much trouble finding employment? Do you have a connect who has promised to hire you? In any case, maybe you've heard of lawschooltransparency.com. Check it out.

billiris321

Postby billiris321 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 am

I'm not necessarily looking for national placement. I chose to apply to those schools for a reason- I'm happy to stay in any of those areas post-graduation. Obviously though, my understanding of these areas (with the exception of New York and LA) is limited to brochures and the internet. Does anybody have any insights on those universities? What are the people like? As an international, will I be disadvantaged at any of those schools?

I actually think that being an international will give me more of a chance at securing national placement. There are many global law firms located within the United States that look for people like myself.

I have family and connections who are in Advertising/PR based in LA. That's merely a Plan B though- I plan on working in law as a lawyer.

I know law school transparency. I'm not concerned with not obtaining a legal job. I've completed law subjects here in Australia and the same basic concepts/workload applies. I'll be fine.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:02 am

billiris321 wrote:I know law school transparency. I'm not concerned with not obtaining a legal job. I've completed law subjects here in Australia and the same basic concepts/workload applies. I'll be fine.

You do understand that your ability to perform legal tasks has nothing to do with whether you will land a job, right? I know it sounds strange, but that's 'Mercuh for you.

M458

Postby M458 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 am

billiris321 wrote:I'm not necessarily looking for national placement. I chose to apply to those schools for a reason- I'm happy to stay in any of those areas post-graduation. Obviously though, my understanding of these areas (with the exception of New York and LA) is limited to brochures and the internet. Does anybody have any insights on those universities? What are the people like? As an international, will I be disadvantaged at any of those schools?

I actually think that being an international will give me more of a chance at securing national placement. There are many global law firms located within the United States that look for people like myself.

I have family and connections who are in Advertising/PR based in LA. That's merely a Plan B though- I plan on working in law as a lawyer.

I know law school transparency. I'm not concerned with not obtaining a legal job. I've completed law subjects here in Australia and the same basic concepts/workload applies. I'll be fine.

Are firms going to have to sponsor you for an H1-B? If so, you basically need BigLaw and none of the schools you listed will give you anywhere near a decent shot at getting it.

billiris321

Postby billiris321 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:37 am

M458 wrote:
billiris321 wrote:I'm not necessarily looking for national placement. I chose to apply to those schools for a reason- I'm happy to stay in any of those areas post-graduation. Obviously though, my understanding of these areas (with the exception of New York and LA) is limited to brochures and the internet. Does anybody have any insights on those universities? What are the people like? As an international, will I be disadvantaged at any of those schools?

Are firms going to have to sponsor you for an H1-B? If so, you basically need BigLaw and none of the schools you listed will give you anywhere near a decent shot at getting it.

You're actually very wrong. There are thousands of medium sized law firms who would sponsor an international, particularly one with English as their native language. There is virtually no risk involved- cost is the only factor they need to consider. I know many Australians with lower ranked US JD's who obtained employment in medium sized firms quite easily. There are many sizeable Australian law firms with offices in the US who would be more willing to hire an Australian US JD graduate as well.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 am

The problem with some of those schools is not that they don't have national placement. It's that they are in a insular market. The solution is not "I'm fine wherever." There are plenty of stories of higher ranked people getting passed up for OCIs simple because they are from out of state.

With that being said, if those are your only option. I think Emory or Cardoza is the best. Id certainly avoid Alabama, Illinois, and Chapman. don't know much about the other schools right now. If you have friends/connections in LA why didn't you try some of the UC schools?

My bigger issue is you're 21. Go enjoy your life for a couple of years before going to law school.

CFprez

Postby CFprez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:51 pm

billiris321 wrote:

I plan on working in law as a lawyer.

So basically what you are saying is that you like to ignore statistics. Most of these schools are around 50-60% employment rate for people who want a legal job such as yourself. You are basically dismissing 40% of your classmates by saying that you will out work them, by strangely drawing a parallel between completing law subjects and actually getting a law job in America.

That being said, you should go to Pepperdine. Beautiful location, full of rich people like yourself, and close to your family connections. Nuff said.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”