Boalt v. Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Redfactor

Re: Boalt v. Columbia

Postby Redfactor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:53 pm

bosmer88 wrote:My family is CLS all the way. I feel guilty making them pay that additional cost, especially since I want to do PI. I told my family that up front but they told me to practice in the area I wanted. Still, they wanted me to take CLS just in case if I decided to change my mind later about my area of practice.

Oh yeah, unless you have some desire for Boalt or you dislike CLS, I would take CLS and never look back. Just make sure to call your family and tell them about all the world-class options afforded to you and thank them for their generosity!

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Redfactor wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:My family is CLS all the way. I feel guilty making them pay that additional cost, especially since I want to do PI. I told my family that up front but they told me to practice in the area I wanted. Still, they wanted me to take CLS just in case if I decided to change my mind later about my area of practice.

Oh yeah, unless you have some desire for Boalt or you dislike CLS, I would take CLS and never look back. Just make sure to call your family and tell them about all the world-class options afforded to you and thank them for their generosity!

Definitely will thank them for being so generous. Knowing the fortune being spent will also be a good motivator to do well in school.

Thanks to all for the advice and the checking of my questionable math!

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 pm

No way CLS is worth $100k more than Boalt, especially if you want to be in California and do public interest work. Sorry but this is a waste of money.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Why is your family going to pay if your work would qualify you for LRAP?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Why is your family going to pay if your work would qualify you for LRAP?

I was under the impression that LRAP only covers federal student loans. It is very likely I won't need to take out any.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:Why is your family going to pay if your work would qualify you for LRAP?

I was under the impression that LRAP only covers federal student loans. It is very likely I won't need to take out any.

Then what are you using to pay? I see no point in using your own money or your parents' money if you qualify for loan repayment anyway. Otherwise you are just throwing your money away.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm

bosmer88 wrote:

The point is, instead of your parents paying, you should take out loans.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 am

I have seen so many 0Ls posting things lately like, "Definitely take CLS and don't look back!" (sorry to call you out, redfactor, just an example). Or, someone in another thread suggesting that they thought the experience of going to Harvard is worth borrowing $200,000 over a full ride at Chicago. People fetishize certain prestigious schools before they attend. I am here to tell you that there will be almost no difference between the experience of attending Berkeley and CLS. There will be almost no difference between attending Harvard or Chicago. The thrill of saying "I go to ____ Law School" will fade in about six weeks and then you will be in the same grind you'd be in no matter where you went to school. 95% of the people will be the same. The work will be almost precisely the same. The professors will be culled from the exact same tiny pool of Yale and Harvard graduates who teach at every top school. The only differences are physical location and what jobs you will get. A lot of the people posting on here need to stop glamorizing what your life will be like with a COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL degree et al. It's all the same shit and Columbia versus Berkeley should not be a $100,000 decision, I don't care who's paying.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I have seen so many 0Ls posting things lately like, "Definitely take CLS and don't look back!" (sorry to call you out, redfactor, just an example). Or, someone in another thread suggesting that they thought the experience of going to Harvard is worth borrowing $200,000 over a full ride at Chicago. People fetishize certain prestigious schools before they attend. I am here to tell you that there will be almost no difference between the experience of attending Berkeley and CLS. There will be almost no difference between attending Harvard or Chicago. The thrill of saying "I go to ____ Law School" will fade in about six weeks and then you will be in the same grind you'd be in no matter where you went to school. 95% of the people will be the same. The work will be almost precisely the same. The professors will be culled from the exact same tiny pool of Yale and Harvard graduates who teach at every top school. The only differences are physical location and what jobs you will get. A lot of the people posting on here need to stop glamorizing what your life will be like with a COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL degree et al. It's all the same shit and Columbia versus Berkeley should not be a $100,000 decision, I don't care who's paying.

Dose of reality right there.

After reading everyone's advice, I think I am leaning towards Boalt at this point. Thanks for your input everyone. :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:06 am

I am struggling with same decision except NYU thrown into the mix. glad you made up your mind OP; I'm visiting both in april and I'll see. I'd argue you should visit first, and normally I'd say you should wait to hear Columbia's finaid offer although that doesn't seem to apply.

On a more general note, I don't understand rich kids who go on the internet to ask strangers how much of their parents money to spend. if $ is not a concern, go to the best place/most liked place you get into! it's the perview of us unwashed unsupported poor to deliberate over these financial tediums.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:37 am

jbagelboy wrote:I am struggling with same decision except NYU thrown into the mix. glad you made up your mind OP; I'm visiting both in april and I'll see. I'd argue you should visit first, and normally I'd say you should wait to hear Columbia's finaid offer although that doesn't seem to apply.

On a more general note, I don't understand rich kids who go on the internet to ask strangers how much of their parents money to spend. if $ is not a concern, go to the best place/most liked place you get into! it's the perview of us unwashed unsupported poor to deliberate over these financial tediums.

Hold up. jbagelboy, I am not rich. My mom/relatives made some good financial choices and saved up some money, but I just wanted to know whether CLS would be worth obliterating their savings over. I didn't think so initially, and seem pretty sure about that now. Just wanted to set the record straight.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I have seen so many 0Ls posting things lately like, "Definitely take CLS and don't look back!" (sorry to call you out, redfactor, just an example). Or, someone in another thread suggesting that they thought the experience of going to Harvard is worth borrowing $200,000 over a full ride at Chicago. People fetishize certain prestigious schools before they attend. I am here to tell you that there will be almost no difference between the experience of attending Berkeley and CLS. There will be almost no difference between attending Harvard or Chicago. The thrill of saying "I go to ____ Law School" will fade in about six weeks and then you will be in the same grind you'd be in no matter where you went to school. 95% of the people will be the same. The work will be almost precisely the same. The professors will be culled from the exact same tiny pool of Yale and Harvard graduates who teach at every top school. The only differences are physical location and what jobs you will get. A lot of the people posting on here need to stop glamorizing what your life will be like with a COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL degree et al. It's all the same shit and Columbia versus Berkeley should not be a $100,000 decision, I don't care who's paying.

I take no offense. I don't think you've accurately depicted my position, though.

Do people fetishize certain schools? Yes. Absolutely. Here is the question for you, now. Do you honestly think that stops once you have graduated and gotten your first job? I would argue it doesnt.

If OP wants to move to DC, some of his professional connections may not give a Berkeley degree the credit it deserves. They may think, Berkeley is overrated. UVa is the shit of public schools. Same can be found in the Michigan, Texas, Washington, North Carolina or any other state with a top tier public system whether or not their law school is decent.

Columbia doesn't have that problem. Wherever you go in this country, a law degree from Columbia will give you instant legitimacy (deserved or not). The difference will be even more apparent if the contacts / clients are not in law or have no idea about law rankings or which schools are good.

If he chooses to do biglaw (I understand that is not his desired path right now), Columbia Law degree can help too. Easier sell to clients as to why they are being billed x dollars an hour for someone who has little experience. It may also help when it comes time for exit options or becoming partner track.

Point is, law school and the first job may place these two schools on almost equal footing, but CLS has the potential to widen the gap as his career goes on - in any direction he decides to take it.

His folks probably understand this, hence why they want him to take that route. Instant legitimacy anyone in the country. That's true portability.

I liken it to my experiences. I am a Marine combat veteran. I served in Afghanistan in 2010 doing some unfun things. I am fully aware that many Soldiers did similar unfun things in Afghanistan and deserve equal respect and admiration. But when word gets out that I am a Marine, I am treated differently than them. It's that instant legitimacy and it IS powerful.

Berkeley has that instant legitimacy in California and within the legal market to a certain extent. Columbia has that instant legitimacy across any state and profession, IMO.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 am

bosmer88 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I am struggling with same decision except NYU thrown into the mix. glad you made up your mind OP; I'm visiting both in april and I'll see. I'd argue you should visit first, and normally I'd say you should wait to hear Columbia's finaid offer although that doesn't seem to apply.

Hold up. jbagelboy, I am not rich. My mom/relatives made some good financial choices and saved up some money, but I just wanted to know whether CLS would be worth obliterating their savings over. I didn't think so initially, and seem pretty sure about that now. Just wanted to set the record straight.

I am a big proponent of CLS over Boalt if money isnt of concern, but do not place your mom/family into financial hardship over that difference. I too got the impression that you came from more wealth than you apparently do.

Boalt wins the money game - no contest.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 am

Redfactor wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:

I am a big proponent of CLS over Boalt if money isnt of concern, but do no place your mom/family into financial hardship over that difference. I too got the impression that you came from more wealth than maybe you do.

Boalt wins the money game.

I wasn't specific before about my family's finances, but trust me when I say my family isn't wealthy. Being able to pool money together to pay for law school =/= rich.

Thinking on it, my family probably shares your perspective Redfactor, hence why they are pushing for it.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 am

Do people fetishize certain schools? Yes. Absolutely. Here is the question for you, now. Do you honestly think that stops once you have graduated and gotten your first job? I would argue it doesnt.

And what are you basing that opinion on? Your years of postgraduate experience from both CLS and Berkeley Law?

If OP wants to move to DC, some of his professional connections may not give a Berkeley degree the credit it deserves.They may think, Berkeley is overrated

Your theories are really cute, but they unfortunately don't hold water. According to LST (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=berkeley&show=chars&sub=location), DC was the second-largest market for Berkeley grads, and it actually placed a higher percentage of grads there than CLS did. And we all know NYC is the easiest market in the country to tap into. So where are you going with this, exactly?

Columbia doesn't have that problem. Wherever you go in this country, a law degree from Columbia will give you instant legitimacy (deserved or not). The difference will be even more apparent if the contacts / clients are not in law or have no idea about law rankings or which schools are good.

Do you base your opinions on anything other than your own feelings? Columbia certainly has a great amount of lay prestige but you're just completely bullshitting at this point and you have to know it.

If he chooses to do biglaw (I understand that is not his desired path right now), Columbia Law degree can help too. Easier sell to clients as to why they are being billed x dollars an hour for someone who has little experience

LOL. I give up.

I liken it to my experiences. I am a Marine combat veteran. I served in Afghanistan in 2010 doing some unfun things. I am fully aware that many Soldiers did similar unfun things in Afghanistan and deserve equal respect and admiration. But when word gets out that I am a Marine, I am treated differently than them. It's that instant legitimacy and it IS powerful.

Thanks for your service, but I do not see Marines as being treated any differently than Army, Navy, or Air Force veterans, nor do they deserve to be. All are equally deserving of respect and admiration and I would be willing to bet (having several family members myself that are war veterans from different branches) that being in one doesn't grant you more "instant legitimacy" than being in another among the average citizen.

Anyway, back on topic: I don't deny that CLS is considered a slightly more prestigious school, and it certainly places better (at least in big law) than Berkeley. I do, however, deny that this slight difference is going to impact your career when you have actual work experience and connections to advance yourself, and the only evidence you seem to think you need to support that idea is some tenuous connection between those law degrees and your military experience.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:25 am

Real Madrid wrote:

And what are you basing that opinion on? Your years of postgraduate experience from both CLS and Berkeley Law?

If OP wants to move to DC, some of his professional connections may not give a Berkeley degree the credit it deserves.They may think, Berkeley is overrated

Your theories are really cute, but they unfortunately don't hold water. According to LST (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=berkeley&show=chars&sub=location), DC was the second-largest market for Berkeley grads, and it actually placed a higher percentage of grads there than CLS did. And we all know NYC is the easiest market in the country to tap into. So where are you going with this, exactly?

Do you base your opinions on anything other than your own feelings? Columbia certainly has a great amount of lay prestige but you're just completely bullshitting at this point and you have to know it.

If he chooses to do biglaw (I understand that is not his desired path right now), Columbia Law degree can help too. Easier sell to clients as to why they are being billed x dollars an hour for someone who has little experience

LOL. I give up.

Thanks for your service, but I do not see Marines as being treated any differently than Army, Navy, or Air Force veterans, nor do they deserve to be. All are equally deserving of respect and admiration and I would be willing to bet (having several family members myself that are war veterans from different branches) that being in one doesn't grant you more "instant legitimacy" than being in another among the average citizen.

Anyway, back on topic: I don't deny that CLS is considered a slightly more prestigious school, and it certainly places better (at least in big law) than Berkeley. I do, however, deny that this slight difference is going to impact your career when you have actual work experience and connections to advance yourself, and the only evidence you seem to think you need to support that idea is some tenuous connection between those law degrees and your military experience.

Let's fix one thing right quick...

Do not be a douche when you're talking to me.

Neither of us have any skin in the game as to which school OP goes to. I am granting you benefit of the doubt that you also have his/her best interests in mind when you're giving advice, same as me. If you disagree, that's on you. Say how you disagree and state your opinion for the OP. State how I'm mistaken, wrong, or crazy - but do not be purposely disrespect towards me when doing so. Clear?

Now, on to less dumb things:

http://nation.time.com/2011/06/28/which ... l-defense-–-and-the-most-prestigious/

So, while your feelings about how things should be are great (and they appear to align with what I'd already wrote), they are not reflective of the world in which we live. Fair? No. I can personally say no because I have been on the receiving end of disproportionate praise.

Now, let's get to more relevant things:

I get the sense that because you feel things shouldn't be about school prestige that you undervalue its potential benefits. Having perceived legitimacy is powerful, and pertinent. Not every lawyer gains work through some "of counsel" who knows the strengths of law schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Co ... ool_alumni

Can Boalt compile a list this diverse and powerful?

Perceived legitimacy exists whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Columbia has it. I feel Berkeley's is variable depending on which region you're in.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 am

Real Madrid wrote:

LOL. I give up.

I don't think we need to get into the inevitable useless ego-driven fight that appears likely to occur soon. For OP's purposes, CLS is not worth 100K more than Boalt if his/her parents have to scrape the money together to pay for it, especially since OP's goal is CA PI, which is not CLS's forte. Redfactor has already agreed with this, so we don't need to continue an argument about how much CLS's (lay) prestige outstrip's Boalt's (lay) prestige.

OP, IMHO, you should consider taking out loans for cover the last 90K from Boalt, though, rather than having your relatives scrape the money together. The point others are making is that if you want PI, the 90K in loans will qualify for Boalt's loan repayment plan, which means you won't pay much if your salary is low like most PI salaries are. In addition, PI jobs generally qualify for PSLF a government program which will forgive your loans after ten years of income-based repayments. Boalt's loan repayment and IBR usually work together, like Boalt may make your IBR payments for five or ten years or whatever, but you need to look into it bc I don't know the specifics of their program. I can tell you that currently IBR payments are calculated as .15*(your adjusted gross income - 1.5*(federal poverty line)). After you make 120 payments while working in a PI position, which includes gov work, your federal loans are forgiven. If you make, say, an average over ten years of $60,000/year (starting at $40,000 and working your way up to $80,000 over ten years) and the federal poverty line stayed the same (it won't so you would actually pay less than I calculate here), you would pay about $64,000 for your $90,000 (plus interest) in loans. This is an overestimate if you start having a family in that time (because then your federal poverty line figure will increase) or if your salary is less than $60,000 over those years. Plus it is an overestimate bc the poverty line will increase. After paying roughly $64,000, your loans would be forgiven.

Meanwhile your family can take the 90K they would've given you and invest it and if it had a return of 5% a year, they'd end up with about $147,000 in ten years ((90,000)*(1.05^10)). Essentially that differential of $147,000 v. $64,000 is what you are losing by having your family pay (although it is assuming you get a PI job and keep it for 120 payments - although they don't have to be consecutive). If you don't get PI or can't find another job to cover your loans, your family, with their $147,000 or so, can help you out. Okay I have to go but that should point your research in the right direction.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks somewhatwayard. Very informative. I will look into it.

Guys, let's keep the peace.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

Redfactor wrote:

Let's fix one thing right quick...

Do not be a douche when you're talking to me.

Neither of us have any skin in the game as to which school OP goes to. I am granting you benefit of the doubt that you also have his/her best interests in mind when you're giving advice, same as me. If you disagree, that's on you. Say how you disagree and state your opinion for the OP. State how I'm mistaken, wrong, or crazy - but do not be purposely disrespect towards me when doing so. Clear?

Now, on to less dumb things:

http://nation.time.com/2011/06/28/which ... l-defense-–-and-the-most-prestigious/

So, while your feelings about how things should be are great (and they appear to align with what I'd already wrote), they are not reflective of the world in which we live. Fair? No. I can personally say no because I have been on the receiving end of disproportionate praise.

Now, let's get to more relevant things:

I get the sense that because you feel things shouldn't be about school prestige that you undervalue its potential benefits. Having perceived legitimacy is powerful, and pertinent. Not every lawyer gains work through some "of counsel" who knows the strengths of law schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Co ... ool_alumni

Can Boalt compile a list this diverse and powerful?

Perceived legitimacy exists whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Columbia has it. I feel Berkeley's is variable depending on which region you're in.

Dude, no one is "disrespecting" you. You gave the OP objectively bad advice and based it on nothing other than nebulous things like "lay prestige," "perceived legitimacy," and "alumni lists." Things that are difficult to measure to begin with - and, moreover - that you have in no way proven. No one denies that CLS has a slight prestige edge in the legal world, but can you in good conscience tell someone to make an additional 100k investment of their parents' money based on such a thing? I called you on out the ridiculousness of this advice. If you perceive that as disrespect, then I'm sorry I'm not sorry.

The pertinent facts of this case are:

1. The difference in money
2. OP's career goals
3 OP's desired location

This is a slam dunk in favor of Berkeley. In addition to the huge difference in cost, PI is perhaps the one area where Berkeley is actually better than Columbia. And OP wants to live in the two markets that Berkeley places best into (as shown by my LST link).

If you want to make an argument for CLS, by all means proceed, but at least bring facts to the table rather than "feelings" and "reputations."

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm

This x 1,000,000.

Given the OP's goals he/she shouldn't pay a dollar more for CLS than UC-B. That a non-rich relative is willing to light $100K on fire for the thrill of saying that little Jimmy or Sally is going to AN IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL explains a lot about the pricing of higher ed in general in this country.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”