Duke OR Dont Go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Law Sauce

Re: Duke OR Dont Go

Postby Law Sauce » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Clear case of overthinking. Good school, scholarship, worth the price every day of the week

PM2353

Postby PM2353 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Clear case of overthinking. Good school, scholarship, worth the price every day of the week

Thanks man. That's what I was thinking. I appreciate the response.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

GMGP wrote:
You're right that most Duke grads don't want to practice locally, but if you express an interest in it (and going to UNC, WF, NCSU, ect. for undergrad helps A LOT) then you are in great shape, even if you're below median. They would rather take a 3.2 kid who has a clear intent to stay in NC than a 3.5 kid who they know will ditch them for a NYC or DC firm for 2L summer. At least this has been my experience and observation.

this is credited. if your resume and grades don't scream "i wanna stay in nc," you're shut out. really good gpas also don't help, because recruiters and hiring committees know you're gonna jump ship as soon as you can.

PM2353

Postby PM2353 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 pm

GMGP wrote:Current 1L here, if you are planning to go into the Charlotte or Raleigh market with a local background and a Duke JD, getting a job as a 1L is no problem at all. Firms like Womble recruit here heavily during the mini-OCI we have for 1Ls and they pay 140k+ with a low CoL. If you live frugally you can easily pay back debt in 3-4 years.

Duke places very well (near 70% in biglaw + clerkships) and in case you want to pursue PI, the loan forgiveness is very generous. Good luck with the decision making and let me know if you have questions.

Thanks for the advice. I might have to PM you some of my questions. I just got back from ASW and it was great. I got information on all of the students post grad employment. Students also echoed what you said. Almost all Duke students are from places all over the United States so they usually don't target NC firms.

Is Dukes reputation so great in NC that top 66% will have BigLaw options? I am a finance major and I would like to do something with banking in Charlotte or Raleigh. (But im open to other practice areas)

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

If you have ties to NC, even Duke at sticker is acceptable. Unless you walk into interviews wearing a tee-shirt that says "eff the Native Alaskans" overlaying a swastika and a confederate flag, you really should be able to get a regional legal job that pays well enough to cover law school debt.

For what it's worth, this also goes for Northern Californians at Berkeley and Michiganians at Michigan.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:42 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If you have ties to NC, even Duke at sticker is acceptable. Unless you walk into interviews wearing a tee-shirt that says "eff the Native Alaskans" overlaying a swastika and a confederate flag, you really should be able to get a regional legal job that pays well enough to cover law school debt.

For what it's worth, this also goes for Northern Californians at Berkeley and Michiganians at Michigan.

Yup.

DaleCooper

Postby DaleCooper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 am

PM2353 wrote:Is Duke's reputation so great in NC that top 66% will have BigLaw options? I am a finance major and I would like to do something with banking in Charlotte or Raleigh. (But im open to other practice areas)

Finance major, native North Carolinian, Duke J.D., interest in banking law, willing to live in Charlotte?

Enjoy your basketball, chicken 'n' waffles, and $8 grilled cheeses sold from the side of a truck, friend, because you already have a 2L offer.

(Seriously, though, get good grades so you can pick the firm you like best.)

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am

DaleCooper wrote:
PM2353 wrote:Is Duke's reputation so great in NC that top 66% will have BigLaw options? I am a finance major and I would like to do something with banking in Charlotte or Raleigh. (But im open to other practice areas)

Finance major, native North Carolinian, Duke J.D., interest in banking law, willing to live in Charlotte?

Enjoy your basketball, chicken 'n' waffles, and $8 grilled cheeses sold from the side of a truck, friend, because you already have a 2L offer.

(Seriously, though, get good grades so you can pick the firm you like best.)

Probably a 1L offer. They like to recruit early.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

mephistopheles wrote:
GMGP wrote:
You're right that most Duke grads don't want to practice locally, but if you express an interest in it (and going to UNC, WF, NCSU, ect. for undergrad helps A LOT) then you are in great shape, even if you're below median. They would rather take a 3.2 kid who has a clear intent to stay in NC than a 3.5 kid who they know will ditch them for a NYC or DC firm for 2L summer. At least this has been my experience and observation.

this is credited. if your resume and grades don't scream "i wanna stay in nc," you're shut out. really good gpas also don't help, because recruiters and hiring committees know you're gonna jump ship as soon as you can.

I'm also attending Duke starting this fall and have a question about the ties needed to land an NC firm job. I am from the South and ideally want to end up working here. My gf is from NC, her extended family and sister live there as well, and she wants to work/live in NC following her own stint at graduate school. Would these "ties" be considered sufficient to show I'm not a flight risk and am serious about wanting to be in NC?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am

AllDangle wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
GMGP wrote:

I'm also attending Duke starting this fall and have a question about the ties needed to land an NC firm job. I am from the South and ideally want to end up working here. My gf is from NC, her extended family and sister live there as well, and she wants to work/live in NC following her own stint at graduate school. Would these "ties" be considered sufficient to show I'm not a flight risk and am serious about wanting to be in NC?

Probably depends on whether you're going to put a ring on it or not.

PM2353

Postby PM2353 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 pm

GMCP & Other Duke students

Not to beat a dead horse but I was wondering if some Duke students could answer some more specific questions about Biglaw.

-How much do you think self selection plays a factor in the number of Duke grads heading to NC? I say this because the employment reports given at ASW have only a handful of students working biglaw in NC. (I feel like I already know the answer given the responses already, but I thought Id ask)

-Also, do you believe that more students are self selecting to do PI/Government work then ever before given the LRAP and PSLF options now available to students? Do you believe a lot of Duke students could have landed Big Law but instead chose PI work? (Id imagine if I was on a full ride or If I came from money I would be more eager to do public interest work)

-Lastly, do you know if the Duke Law students that pursue joint degrees generally go into the non-legal field? 196/225 students had a job requiring a JD. Would it be safe to assume a small group (10 or so JD/MBA JD/MA etc) chose to enter business or consulting work?

Thanks for all the responses. It really is helping me formulate a better picture of Duke and the benefits of attending during a time where the legal employment market is unstable.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
GMGP wrote:

Financial stability and the pursuit of biglaw is a good enough reason for me to get married.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 pm

PM2353 wrote:GMCP & Other Duke students

Not to beat a dead horse but I was wondering if some Duke students could answer some more specific questions about Biglaw.

-How much do you think self selection plays a factor in the number of Duke grads heading to NC? I say this because the employment reports given at ASW have only a handful of students working biglaw in NC. (I feel like I already know the answer given the responses already, but I thought Id ask)

-Also, do you believe that more students are self selecting to do PI/Government work then ever before given the LRAP and PSLF options now available to students? Do you believe a lot of Duke students could have landed Big Law but instead chose PI work? (Id imagine if I was on a full ride or If I came from money I would be more eager to do public interest work)

-Lastly, do you know if the Duke Law students that pursue joint degrees generally go into the non-legal field? 196/225 students had a job requiring a JD. Would it be safe to assume a small group (10 or so JD/MBA JD/MA etc) chose to enter business or consulting work?

Thanks for all the responses. It really is helping me formulate a better picture of Duke and the benefits of attending during a time where the legal employment market is unstable.

1. Yes. Not many Duke kids actually are from NC so not many want to stay here. But if you can prove to them you are not a flight risk it's yours

2. Yes. LRAP is 10 years less than 60k. Very generous, and PILF (Public Interest Law Foundation) helps a majority of people who have unpaid summer employment.

3. Yes, MBB hires students from Duke although I don't know anyone personally who has gone since it requires a pay cut (160k to 120), less ability to jump back into law, and lots of traveling. Going into IB or business is possible although they don't have a recruiting presence here and you might have to work in biglaw first. JD/MBA will provide you with recruiting options from Fuqua but honestly not as much marketability unless you have good prior work experience.

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm

GMGP wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:

Did she put you up to saying that Zuck? In all seriousness, assuming we do take the leap during LS, would those ties be enough?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”