Cornell $$ vs. NYU $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Cornell with $105,000 scholarship
51%
NYU with $37,500 scholarship
10%
Columbia with $40,000 scholarship
40%

Total votes: 63

bizzybone1313

Silver

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 pm

toothbrush wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I would take Columbia. That school makes me soil myself.

If you go to Columbia, you could become the commissioner of the NBA like David Stern, the POTUS or a Justice on the Supreme Court. If you go to Cornell, these types of jobs (especially POTUS) are not going to be attainable.

TLS has given me a lot of flak for this, but I still say Columbia is part of the T-4: HYSC. Columbia makes me cream on myself just by hearing the name. Their history and the prestige of the place speaks for itself.

However, if you don't want something super prestigious, then there is no point in attending Columbia. If you just want a run of the mill Big Law job, I can't really see going to Columbia as being a wise choice.

I would pay sticker at Columbia and above. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay sticker at any other T-14's, especially at Columbia's TTTTTT-6 cousins of NYU and Chicago. If nothing else, it should be YHS C CP NBV NDMC G. That would be how I would rank the T-14.
quoted for some of the dumbest shit i've read on tls today =x
There isn't anything dumb about it. Defend your statement. Don't just post some weak, one sentence garbage.

Columbia is a lot-- A LOT-- more prestigious than NYU and Chicago. What the hell is the point of paying a shit load more money at Harvard, Stanford, Yale or Columbia if one justs want a Big Law career? Exactly. It is stupid. There are future Senators, Supreme Court Justices and general counsel for Fortune 50 companies on this very website right now. YHSC would give tremendous bump for those type of careers.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Ahahaha that's hilarious.

Yeah Bz I'm two years out of undergrad.

What I'm a little confused about regarding advice from the CCNers is that I would think most people in at CCN had similar options as I have with scholarships at the lower T14. Does this mean that they regret that decision?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

If you go to Columbia, you could become the commissioner of the NBA like David Stern, the POTUS or a Justice on the Supreme Court. If you go to Cornell, these types of jobs (especially POTUS) are not going to be attainable.

TLS has given me a lot of flak for this, but I still say Columbia is part of the T-4: HYSC. Columbia makes me cream on myself just by hearing the name. Their history and the prestige of the place speaks for itself.

However, if you don't want something super prestigious, then there is no point in attending Columbia. If you just want a run of the mill Big Law job, I can't really see going to Columbia as being a wise choice.

I would pay sticker at Columbia and above. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay sticker at any other T-14's, especially at Columbia's TTTTTT-6 cousins of NYU and Chicago. If nothing else, it should be YHS C CP NBV NDMC G. That would be how I would rank the T-14.
There isn't anything dumb about it. Defend your statement. Don't just post some weak, one sentence garbage.

Columbia is a lot-- A LOT-- more prestigious than NYU and Chicago. What the hell is the point of paying a shit load more money at Harvard, Stanford, Yale or Columbia if one justs want a Big Law career? Exactly. It is stupid. There are future Senators, Supreme Court Justices and general counsel for Fortune 50 companies on this very website right now. YHSC would give tremendous bump for those type of careers.
If you insist on littering this site with a bunch of trolly crap at least make it funny.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Oh my god I forgot that if you go to Columbia you will be on the SCOTUS! Shit PH1234 give 'em the money and cash that preftigeeee (cum buckets worth) in in 40 years.

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm

pastapplicant wrote:I am at NYU and I say Cornell. This is one of the rare times on TLS where I am guaranteeing that one choice is the better choice. Free housing + 105K is as good as it can get for most law students. Plus, the T6 distinction isn't worth all that cash based on what I've been seeing.
105 plus free housing is easily the way to go here. The T6 distinction is stupid and arbitrary. If you want to pay that soul crushing amount extra for Columbia to make yourself feel better (and get marginally better job prospects), then you're obviously free to do so, but try and really think about what it will mean to be a quarter of a million dollars in debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 pm

ph5354a wrote:Ahahaha that's hilarious.

What I'm a little confused about regarding advice from the CCNers is that I would think most people in at CCN had similar options as I have with scholarships at the lower T14. Does this mean that they regret that decision?
Just kind of curious as to why the money isn't such a big deal. Anyway that's a buttload of money to pay just to get big law when that outcome is more likely than not out of Cornell but only you can place a value on the intangibles that come with attending a "T6."

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 pm

toothbrush wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Oh my god I forgot that if you go to Columbia you will be on the SCOTUS! Shit PH1234 give 'em the money and cash that preftigeeee (cum buckets worth) in in 40 years.
BigZuck wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

If you insist on littering this site with a bunch of trolly crap at least make it funny.
No one is trolling. You two guys are basically calling all of the people that attend YHSC a bunch of idiots. WHY DO THEY ATTEND THOSE SCHOOLS WHEN THEY COULD GET $150K AT DUKE, CORNELL OR MICHIGAN? Exactly. Some people that attend those type of schools are going to end being special snowflakes and accomplish something big. That is the whole point of attending Yale, Harvard, Columbia or Stanford.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Ahahaha that's hilarious.

Just kind of curious as to why the money isn't such a big deal. Anyway that's a buttload of money to pay just to get big law when that outcome is more likely than not out of Cornell but only you can place a value on the intangibles that come with attending a "T6."
The money is a huge deal, which is why I seriously considered Cornell. Though to be fair, while the big law numbers between Cornell and NYU may be similar, the same cannot be said for Cornell and Columbia. I think there are a lot more than intangibles in that match up, even if Cornell still comes out on top.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Cornell 3L here. As someone graduating with debt and knows how limiting that can be, I vote Cornell. Columbia would definitely give you better opportunities, but none worth that kind of cash. Feel free to PM me with Cornell-specific questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you get free housing at Cornell, after two years of biglaw, you could be debt free (and maybe have savings).
If you go to Columbia, after two years of biglaw you will probably have around 200k in debt.

This seems like an easy choice.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Bizzy, who said people who attend YSHC are idiots?

Dude, here's the deal: I'm not saying don't be a troll. I'm just saying put a little effort into it. Make it worth it for us to read your blocks of text. Make it entertaining.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

BigZuck wrote:Bizzy, who said people who attend YSHC are idiots?

Dude, here's the deal: I'm not saying don't be a troll. I'm just saying put a little effort into it. Make it worth it for us to read your blocks of text. Make it entertaining.
I equated his t14 ranking to Cooley rankings so I enjoyed it myself..

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm

If we're really limiting it to the current NYU and Columbia offers, I'd definitely pick Columbia.

Anyway, I have to admit I really can't do anything more to argue in Cornell's favor without knowing what the "personal reasons" are. If it has anything to do with really not wanting to live with your parents, then I suppose I can understand that. Feel free to ignore this post if you want to neither confirm nor deny this speculation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Re: loan payments. I've done a lot of calculations here and with interest and my UG debt Cornell would mean three years in big law and CLS/NYU would mean 5 years.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 pm

ph5354a wrote:Re: loan payments. I've done a lot of calculations here and with interest and my UG debt Cornell would mean three years in big law and CLS/NYU would mean 5 years.
IF IF IF you can even get that many. I think that's the big thing us 0L's assume. But when you read deeper into TLS (lounge) it's really rough. People aren't making it into their 2nd year of biglaw for many reasons.

Also, to continue on lavitz point, if it's about living at home, Cornell still takes the cake with an extra 10k a year on housing.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

toothbrush wrote:

I equated his t14 ranking to Cooley rankings so I enjoyed it myself..

I am going to go bump some Bone Thugs-N-Harmony instead of spending my time "trolling".

OP, take Cornell, get your $160K job and really do live the models and bottles lifestyle in NYC three years from now. You can be like those rappers in those videos with hunnies in bikinis dancing around them. You will be ballin'. Ballin'-- I tell you.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Lavitz wrote:If we're really limiting it to the current NYU and Columbia offers, I'd definitely pick Columbia.

Anyway, I have to admit I really can't do anything more to argue in Cornell's favor without knowing what the "personal reasons" are. If it has anything to do with really not wanting to live with your parents, then I suppose I can understand that. Feel free to ignore this post if you want to neither confirm nor deny this speculation.
Honestly, that's a big part. It's hard to describe how I would feel going back to Ithaca. It's easy to say "free housing yeahhh" but it also means going back to the place where I grew up, and where I worked really hard to leave. I love to go back to visit Ithaca, but, at the risk of sounding like a tree-hugging hippie, in terms of my personal growth it feels like a gigantic step backwards.

I know I know, this kind of reasoning is not very compelling by TLS standards :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Re: loan payments. I've done a lot of calculations here and with interest and my UG debt Cornell would mean three years in big law and CLS/NYU would mean 5 years.
IF IF IF you can even get that many. I think that's the big thing us 0L's assume. But when you read deeper into TLS (lounge) it's really rough. People aren't making it into their 2nd year of biglaw for many reasons.

Also, to continue on lavitz point, if it's about living at home, Cornell still takes the cake with an extra 10k a year on housing.
This is a valid point, and the most compelling reason why I considered Cornell, but I also believe that some of the TLS wisdom regarding big law is not always accurate. I have talked to A LOT of people currently working in big law (people that I trust and that I know are being honest), and some experiences are bad, but most are not nearly as horrible as TLS makes it sound. Every experience is different, but I don't want to make a decision based on an exaggerated version of reality.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Lavitz wrote:If we're really limiting it to the current NYU and Columbia offers, I'd definitely pick Columbia.

Honestly, that's a big part. It's hard to describe how I would feel going back to Ithaca. It's easy to say "free housing yeahhh" but it also means going back to the place where I grew up, and where I worked really hard to leave. I love to go back to visit Ithaca, but, at the risk of sounding like a tree-hugging hippie, in terms of my personal growth it feels like a gigantic step backwards.

I know I know, this kind of reasoning is not very compelling by TLS standards :D
Then take Columbia or NYU, depending on whichever you want. I assume you're 24-25. You're going to spend a good portion of your 20s somewhere, then don't regret it.

On the flip side, don't regret the scholarship either.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 pm

One thing I genuinely wonder about, not in relation to my decision, is that hundreds of people pay sticker at CCN every year, and TLS seems to think that's the worst decision one can make. Is that just because of the other options these people have (like in my situation)? Of all the anti-law school press that's out there right now, I haven't heard a lot about CCN grads regretting their decisions.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm

ph5354a wrote:One thing I genuinely wonder about, not in relation to my decision, is that hundreds of people pay sticker at CCN every year, and TLS seems to think that's the worst decision one can make. Is that just because of the other options these people have (like in my situation)? Of all the anti-law school press that's out there right now, I haven't heard a lot about CCN grads regretting their decisions.
prolly some spoiled kids with parents paying the way. others are ignorant. others want dat preftige (see above). others can justify it out (like you are trying to do) and others maybe going because they really NEED those connections (clerkships, want gov, want politics, etc)

at the end of the day, tls'rs seem to say most of those AREN'T good reasons.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 pm

ph5354a wrote:One thing I genuinely wonder about, not in relation to my decision, is that hundreds of people pay sticker at CCN every year, and TLS seems to think that's the worst decision one can make. Is that just because of the other options these people have (like in my situation)? Of all the anti-law school press that's out there right now, I haven't heard a lot about CCN grads regretting their decisions.
I feel like 9 times out of 10 people who pass up the money for the higher ranked school say they should have taken the money and I don't think I have ever seen someone who took the money say they should have gone to a higher ranked school.

But that could be me selectively reading/remembering, some sort of bias in people who would post those types of things on here, etc.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:36 pm

To attempt answer my own question, I've been speaking to a CLS '07 grad who had similar options as me. While she said she was happy with her decision, she also said that in today's market, she couldn't promise that she would make the same choice given the uncertainty of the legal job market. She didn't say that she regretted it, but it does remind me that we're in sort of unprecedented times when the value of a sticker law degree isn't what it used to be. It makes it hard to gauge future outcomes.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 pm

ph5354a wrote:To attempt answer my own question, I've been speaking to a CLS '07 grad who had similar options as me. While she said she was happy with her decision, she also said that in today's market, she couldn't promise that she would make the same choice given the uncertainty of the legal job market. She didn't say that she regretted it, but it does remind me that we're in sort of unprecedented times when the value of a sticker law degree isn't what it used to be. It makes it hard to gauge future outcomes.
Which is why it's so safe to take that Cornell money.

On a side note, have you appealed to Cornell asking for more money? It seems from the c/o 2016 thread their pot is still full of money. If you eeked out another 10k/ year maybe you'd feel even better ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:To attempt answer my own question, I've been speaking to a CLS '07 grad who had similar options as me. While she said she was happy with her decision, she also said that in today's market, she couldn't promise that she would make the same choice given the uncertainty of the legal job market. She didn't say that she regretted it, but it does remind me that we're in sort of unprecedented times when the value of a sticker law degree isn't what it used to be. It makes it hard to gauge future outcomes.
Which is why it's so safe to take that Cornell money.

On a side note, have you appealed to Cornell asking for more money? It seems from the c/o 2016 thread their pot is still full of money. If you eeked out another 10k/ year maybe you'd feel even better ?
yeah, they already turned down my appeal :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”