Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Cornell with $105,000 scholarship
28
49%
NYU with $37,500 scholarship
5
9%
Columbia with $40,000 scholarship
24
42%
 
Total votes: 57

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 pm

ph5354a wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
toothbrush wrote:I agree but I'd put it nicer because you're very nice yourself.

the second line above is what hits home. You'll be going to cornell for .. what.. ~80k ? That's amazing. It doesn't get much better than that. Plus you already know you'll be happy in Ithaca.

Have you visited CLS?



Its going to be a lot more than 80k. Probably ~140-150k.


$105k scholarship and living at home.

that was my impression when I did math for ~80k
60k tuition / yr (books whatever inflation etc) = 180k - 105k = 75k + minor COL

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 pm

ph5354a wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
toothbrush wrote:I agree but I'd put it nicer because you're very nice yourself.

the second line above is what hits home. You'll be going to cornell for .. what.. ~80k ? That's amazing. It doesn't get much better than that. Plus you already know you'll be happy in Ithaca.

Have you visited CLS?



Its going to be a lot more than 80k. Probably ~140-150k.


$105k scholarship and living at home.

Ok My bad. That makes a big difference then. Wouldn't need biglaw to pay off 80k.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:45 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I haven't sent any deposits in yet, but I can't see myself deciding against Cornell right now. However, CLS award packages supposedly come out next week and I was trying to get a head start on my decision if that ends up changing things for me. It's not that I don't like Cornell (most people that read my posts on TLS would come to the opposite conclusion), but I am giving up T6 to go there, even if it is at sticker or close to it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the right decision. A lot of people on TLS tend to rate CLS as drastically better than NYU, so even though my preference would probably still be to avoid debt and take the Cornell scholarship, the consensus on here may be that Columbia at sticker is worth it over Cornell even though NYU at close-to sticker isn't. Maybe not. Just trying to get some more opinions. Again, if it comes to a decision point, I'll just make a new thread.

It's a major life-altering decision, I reserve the right to have second thoughts. 8)

It's important to note that a lot of people say that CLS v NYU is one in the same as well.

I think you need to think about what will make you happy. Again, if you're not debt AVERSE like some are, go with what you think will make you happy. For some, knowing that Cornell is ~80k will make them happy. To you, perhaps, however (so many commas), going to school in NYC may outweigh the debt in terms of net happiness.

Personally, If I was in your shoes, I'd take CLS prolly even over NYU. I love the area where CLS is and I know, if all else fails, that money spent on CLS will help me secure a job better than any other school that I was accepted to. I also have interests in clerking which is better at CLS (from memory).


Thanks. I think it's also about short term vs. long term happiness. I'd love to be in NYC for the next three years, whether that's at CLS or NYU. If I knew I could make it in big law for 5 years, I would take one of them, but I don't know that, which is why I ended up going with Cornell. My decision hasn't necessarily changed in that regard, but I do wonder about some of the opportunities (clerkships, etc.) I'm giving up by going with Cornell. Just thinking out loud, really.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Yeah, I guess the CLS vs. Cornell match-up isn't any different really. Cornell still means much faster pay off and not having to stick it out in big law for very long. I like that.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:47 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yeah, I guess the CLS vs. Cornell match-up isn't any different really. Cornell still means much faster pay off and not having to stick it out in big law for very long. I like that.

it's not really different. it's definitely good to think out loud. it's true though that the doubt you would have post cls would be pretty massive requiring x years of big law that you can't guarantee you'll make.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yeah, I guess the CLS vs. Cornell match-up isn't any different really. Cornell still means much faster pay off and not having to stick it out in big law for very long. I like that.


Yeah but don't assume CLS won't give you more aid than NYU. Scholarship awards are not predictable like that. I know people who got nothing at NYU but got money at Chi and CLS.

At that point you can decide whether the substantial increase in biglaw chances is worth it. I tend to think not if Cornell at @ 80k, because at that point your downside risk is really limited and you could pay off that debt on a $60k salary without having to go on IBR.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Yeah but don't assume CLS won't give you more aid than NYU. Scholarship awards are not predictable like that. I know people who got nothing at NYU but got money at Chi and CLS.


That's an interesting thought. I guess I'll know for sure next week and then I can deposit and stop "waffling" :lol:

Thanks guys.

User avatar
Rev. Cherrycoke
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby Rev. Cherrycoke » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm

ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I haven't sent any deposits in yet, but I can't see myself deciding against Cornell right now. However, CLS award packages supposedly come out next week and I was trying to get a head start on my decision if that ends up changing things for me. It's not that I don't like Cornell (most people that read my posts on TLS would come to the opposite conclusion), but I am giving up T6 to go there, even if it is at sticker or close to it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the right decision. A lot of people on TLS tend to rate CLS as drastically better than NYU, so even though my preference would probably still be to avoid debt and take the Cornell scholarship, the consensus on here may be that Columbia at sticker is worth it over Cornell even though NYU at close-to sticker isn't. Maybe not. Just trying to get some more opinions. Again, if it comes to a decision point, I'll just make a new thread.

It's a major life-altering decision, I reserve the right to have second thoughts. 8)

It's important to note that a lot of people say that CLS v NYU is one in the same as well.

I think you need to think about what will make you happy. Again, if you're not debt AVERSE like some are, go with what you think will make you happy. For some, knowing that Cornell is ~80k will make them happy. To you, perhaps, however (so many commas), going to school in NYC may outweigh the debt in terms of net happiness.

Personally, If I was in your shoes, I'd take CLS prolly even over NYU. I love the area where CLS is and I know, if all else fails, that money spent on CLS will help me secure a job better than any other school that I was accepted to. I also have interests in clerking which is better at CLS (from memory).


Thanks. I think it's also about short term vs. long term happiness. I'd love to be in NYC for the next three years, whether that's at CLS or NYU. If I knew I could make it in big law for 5 years, I would take one of them, but I don't know that, which is why I ended up going with Cornell. My decision hasn't necessarily changed in that regard, but I do wonder about some of the opportunities (clerkships, etc.) I'm giving up by going with Cornell. Just thinking out loud, really.


While Cornell is the best option financially, can you live with the decision? Can you be happy with the outcome and not look back? I know in your position, I would likely take CLS at sticker because part of me would always wonder what could've happened.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Rev. Cherrycoke wrote:
While Cornell is the best option financially, can you live with the decision? Can you be happy with the outcome and not look back? I know in your position, I would likely take CLS at sticker because part of me would always wonder what could've happened.

Interesting first post. I said the exact same thing too!

Ph - you have to think about this :)

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm

FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 pm

ph5354a wrote:FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

40 over 3 years ? I still think Cornell takes it .. what do you think ?

CLS with 40k is still ~230/240k

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I would still definitely take Cornell.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

40 over 3 years ? I still think Cornell takes it .. what do you think ?

CLS with 40k is still ~230/240k


My estimates are a little lower, but with undergrad debt and interest, yeah I'm looking at $250k. I'm close to ruling out Cornell for a variety of personal reasons, but I won't know anything for sure about Cornell until I visit next weekend. My first plan of attack is to ask NYU for more money in light of my CLS offer, but honestly that CLS money is hard to turn down. Basically it's the same cost as NYU but with higher firm and clerkship placement. Reeealllyyyy hard to say no to that.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm

ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

40 over 3 years ? I still think Cornell takes it .. what do you think ?

CLS with 40k is still ~230/240k


My estimates are a little lower, but with undergrad debt and interest, yeah I'm looking at $250k. I'm close to ruling out Cornell for a variety of personal reasons, but I won't know anything for sure about Cornell until I visit next weekend. My first plan of attack is to ask NYU for more money in light of my CLS offer, but honestly that CLS money is hard to turn down. Basically it's the same cost as NYU but with higher firm and clerkship placement. Reeealllyyyy hard to say no to that.

CLS is definitely an amazing option. I thought you were a tad debt adverse and CLS is really pricey. Personally I'd take it. I'll be at Cornell on the 19th as well. We'll see how it goes...

Unless NYU ups their FA (have you appealed already and are waiting?) CLS definitely > NYU

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

From a CCN student: Absolutely Cornell

At the very least, its a 65K difference in scholarship, and once you add in the difference in living costs, it makes the choice seem pretty simple. Pretty much any CCN student would tell you Cornell is the right choice, and that should really say something to you.
Last edited by kaiser on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pastapplicant
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby pastapplicant » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

I am at NYU and I say Cornell. This is one of the rare times on TLS where I am guaranteeing that one choice is the better choice. Free housing + 105K is as good as it can get for most law students. Plus, the T6 distinction isn't worth all that cash based on what I've been seeing.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:FYI: Poll edited to reflect new Columbia offer. I think I know where I'm leaning, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all have, particularly on the NYU vs. CLS match up (as if that hasn't been discussed enough). And yes, I'm going to try to re-re-negotiate with NYU given my new offer.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

40 over 3 years ? I still think Cornell takes it .. what do you think ?

CLS with 40k is still ~230/240k


My estimates are a little lower, but with undergrad debt and interest, yeah I'm looking at $250k. I'm close to ruling out Cornell for a variety of personal reasons, but I won't know anything for sure about Cornell until I visit next weekend. My first plan of attack is to ask NYU for more money in light of my CLS offer, but honestly that CLS money is hard to turn down. Basically it's the same cost as NYU but with higher firm and clerkship placement. Reeealllyyyy hard to say no to that.


So, I was right when I said that you don't want to go to Cornell?

GL at Columbia, amazing school and you get to be in the city that you want to be in.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby ph5354a » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
So, I was right when I said that you don't want to go to Cornell?

GL at Columbia, amazing school and you get to be in the city that you want to be in.


hahaha oh BZ, I knew you would play that card. Giving up that T6 dream is just harder than I realized :lol:

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
So, I was right when I said that you don't want to go to Cornell?

GL at Columbia, amazing school and you get to be in the city that you want to be in.

stroke dat ego big Z ;)

Wow at the CCN / NYU student calling Cornell for you. They seem certain on it. I mean, I agree with the sentiment that 100k+ extra in the pocket is a no brainer for a school very similarly ranked.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm

toothbrush wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
So, I was right when I said that you don't want to go to Cornell?

GL at Columbia, amazing school and you get to be in the city that you want to be in.

stroke dat ego big Z ;)

Wow at the CCN / NYU student calling Cornell for you. They seem certain on it. I mean, I agree with the sentiment that 100k+ extra in the pocket is a no brainer for a school very similarly ranked.


Yeah thats whats so telling, and really reflects the disconnect between 0L's and current students. When numerous CCN students are in complete agreement that Cornell is the right choice, it speaks volumes.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 pm

I would take Columbia. That school makes me soil myself.

If you go to Columbia, you could become the commissioner of the NBA like David Stern, the POTUS or a Justice on the Supreme Court. If you go to Cornell, these types of jobs (especially POTUS) are not going to be attainable.

TLS has given me a lot of flak for this, but I still say Columbia is part of the T-4: HYSC. Columbia makes me cream on myself just by hearing the name. Their history and the prestige of the place speaks for itself.

However, if you don't want something super prestigious, then there is no point in attending Columbia. If you just want a run of the mill Big Law job, I can't really see going to Columbia as being a wise choice.

I would pay sticker at Columbia and above. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay sticker at any other T-14's, especially at Columbia's TTTTTT-6 cousins of NYU and Chicago. If nothing else, it should be YHS C CP NBV NDMC G. That would be how I would rank the T-14.

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

I am kind of curious how old you are ph. K-JD?

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:I am kind of curious how old you are ph. K-JD?

6 years living in big city (says in OP) makes me think maybe not

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I would take Columbia. That school makes me soil myself.

If you go to Columbia, you could become the commissioner of the NBA like David Stern, the POTUS or a Justice on the Supreme Court. If you go to Cornell, these types of jobs (especially POTUS) are not going to be attainable.

TLS has given me a lot of flak for this, but I still say Columbia is part of the T-4: HYSC. Columbia makes me cream on myself just by hearing the name. Their history and the prestige of the place speaks for itself.

However, if you don't want something super prestigious, then there is no point in attending Columbia. If you just want a run of the mill Big Law job, I can't really see going to Columbia as being a wise choice.

I would pay sticker at Columbia and above. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay sticker at any other T-14's, especially at Columbia's TTTTTT-6 cousins of NYU and Chicago. If nothing else, it should be YHS C CP NBV NDMC G. That would be how I would rank the T-14.

quoted for some of the dumbest shit i've read on tls today =x

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Postby kaiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm

toothbrush wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I would take Columbia. That school makes me soil myself.

If you go to Columbia, you could become the commissioner of the NBA like David Stern, the POTUS or a Justice on the Supreme Court. If you go to Cornell, these types of jobs (especially POTUS) are not going to be attainable.

TLS has given me a lot of flak for this, but I still say Columbia is part of the T-4: HYSC. Columbia makes me cream on myself just by hearing the name. Their history and the prestige of the place speaks for itself.

However, if you don't want something super prestigious, then there is no point in attending Columbia. If you just want a run of the mill Big Law job, I can't really see going to Columbia as being a wise choice.

I would pay sticker at Columbia and above. Beyond that, I wouldn't pay sticker at any other T-14's, especially at Columbia's TTTTTT-6 cousins of NYU and Chicago. If nothing else, it should be YHS C CP NBV NDMC G. That would be how I would rank the T-14.

quoted for some of the dumbest shit i've read on tls today =x


He was joking...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests