Cornell $$ vs. NYU $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Cornell with $105,000 scholarship
51%
NYU with $37,500 scholarship
10%
Columbia with $40,000 scholarship
40%

Total votes: 63

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm

I dunno, I went to UG in the middle of no where and thinking about spending 3 more years there makes me want to off myself

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I definitely agree about the advice from 0Ls vs 1Ls+ but just to clear things up, I grew up in Ithaca. I know exactly how cold it is (and for how long), I already have a netflix account, and I've heard those comments about Cornell students committing suicide for years and I know it's an exaggeration. None of those factors are weighing into my decision.

Still, thanks for everyone's thoughts. :D

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

kaiser wrote:Noting the fact that some kids jump off the gorges in Ithaca is precisely what I meant when I talked about overinflating trivialities to the extent that 0L's delude themselves into thinking that they somehow outweigh tens of thousands of dollars of $$ (and btw, none of those kids were law students). While the whole "nothing to do in Ithaca" & "its cold there" thing has at least some merit to it, it once again takes a gross overinflation of those factors to even put a dent into the tens of thousands of dollars difference in price.
Condescension noted. I suppose 1Ls have spent so many years paying off that debt already and are so much older and more experienced in life than the average applicant since theyve spent 6 months cramming in tort and con that theyve transformed into uncontested authorities on all things homo sapien. Im not here to convince anyone, I was clearly joking about the undergrad suicides to prove a more fundamental point that there are many benefits for OP to living in a more dynamic environment, but ill grant you that some of it comes down to personal preference, my buddy sinf seems to agree. As for the numbers, choose any metric, lst or otherwise, and cls overall placement/salary beats cornell. If OP is going into six figure debt, that 60-70K margin over 3 yrs wont be what keeps him up at night. Might as well get the best prospects he can have unless its a game changer like full tuition or zilch from cls

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
kaiser wrote:Noting the fact that some kids jump off the gorges in Ithaca is precisely what I meant when I talked about overinflating trivialities to the extent that 0L's delude themselves into thinking that they somehow outweigh tens of thousands of dollars of $$ (and btw, none of those kids were law students). While the whole "nothing to do in Ithaca" & "its cold there" thing has at least some merit to it, it once again takes a gross overinflation of those factors to even put a dent into the tens of thousands of dollars difference in price.
Condescension noted. I suppose 1Ls have spent so many years paying off that debt already and are so much older and more experienced in life than the average applicant since theyve spent 6 months cramming in tort and con that theyve transformed into uncontested authorities on all things homo sapien. Im not here to convince anyone, I was clearly joking about the undergrad suicides to prove a more fundamental point that there are many benefits for OP to living in a more dynamic environment, but ill grant you that some of it comes down to personal preference, my buddy sinf seems to agree. As for the numbers, choose any metric, lst or otherwise, and cls overall placement/salary beats cornell. If OP is going into six figure debt, that 60-70K margin over 3 yrs wont be what keeps him up at night. Might as well get the best prospects he can have unless its a game changer like full tuition or zilch from cls
Its actually well over 100k after CoL being covered. That means that OP can leave big law years earlier.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Basically OP, part of it depends on how much of a value you put on happiness. Is it worth $100-$150K more in loans? Only you know the answer to this question.

I hated my undergrad. I can't stand that place. It probably cost me .1-.2 in GPA. It is a little conservative bubble where people go to surround themselves with similarly minded people. My kids, grandkids, kids of my best friends and great grandkids are not going to attend that school. I will cut them a check for a few "G's" to not attend if I have to (I'm not joking). I hate that place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks again, everyone. While this thread has wavered between the rational and utterly ridiculous, I do appreciate everyone's input. Right now, my decision is on hold until I hear back from my re-negotiation with NYU.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 am

ph5354a wrote:Thanks again, everyone. While this thread has wavered between the rational and utterly ridiculous, I do appreciate everyone's input. Right now, my decision is on hold until I hear back from my re-negotiation with NYU.
It was dying off yesterday so I made sure to bump it back up for the luls. Sorry it has been derailed. Good luck with NYU :)

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:12 am

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Thanks again, everyone. While this thread has wavered between the rational and utterly ridiculous, I do appreciate everyone's input. Right now, my decision is on hold until I hear back from my re-negotiation with NYU.
It was dying off yesterday so I made sure to bump it back up for the luls. Sorry it has been derailed. Good luck with NYU :)
I enjoyed it :D The best part is that people always assume I'm a guy, so the bottles and models talk was especially enjoyable. The thought of a strip club makes me gag and just hearing the term "hunnies" makes me want to put on a fort knox-style chastity belt.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am

ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
I enjoyed it :D The best part is that people always assume I'm a guy, so the bottles and models talk was especially enjoyable. The thought of a strip club makes me gag and just hearing the term "hunnies" makes me want to put on a fort knox-style chastity belt.
ahahhaha, so no bottles and models for you? I particularly enjoyed the guy who said going to cornell will make you commit suicide. causation v correlation anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ahahhaha, so no bottles and models for you? I particularly enjoyed the guy who said going to cornell will make you commit suicide. causation v correlation anyone?
Seriously. I survived 18 years in that climate. That's 18 Halloween costumes worn over snowsuits. Eighteen Easters when your mother forces you to wear a pastel dress when there's still snow on the ground. Eighteen summers when you still have to wear a sweatshirt outside. They haven't seen the things I've seen*.

edit: *mostly just a lot of snow-covered deer carcasses

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am

ph5354a wrote: Seriously. I survived 18 years in that climate. That's 18 Halloween costumes worn over snowsuits. Eighteen Easters when your mother forces you to wear a pastel dress when there's still snow on the ground. Eighteen summers when you still have to wear a sweatshirt outside. They haven't seen the things I've seen*.

This is a sad, adorable tragedy. Michelin man + giant marshmallow from Ghostbusters is the image I have.. no offense.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 am

toothbrush wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Seriously. I survived 18 years in that climate. That's 18 Halloween costumes worn over snowsuits. Eighteen Easters when your mother forces you to wear a pastel dress when there's still snow on the ground. Eighteen summers when you still have to wear a sweatshirt outside. They haven't seen the things I've seen*.

This is a sad, adorable tragedy. Michelin man + giant marshmallow from Ghostbusters is the image I have.. no offense.
At least those costumes fit over a snowsuit. My 1997 Spice Girls costume was particularly unfortunate.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

Just to put something here that I didn't see while scanning the discussion. There's always the possibility that you won't want to spend all 3 years living with your family in Ithaca, and might choose to get an apartment 2L or 3L. If that ends up the case, the different COA's will get a little closer together.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”