Cornell $$ vs. NYU $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Cornell with $105,000 scholarship
51%
NYU with $37,500 scholarship
10%
Columbia with $40,000 scholarship
40%

Total votes: 63

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Re: Cornell $$ vs. NYU $

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

I've heard of some people having success with the "increase my offer to X, and I will deposit immediately"

If they increase, you deposit. You win.
If they don't increase, you don't have to deposit yet. You still win.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Normally I would say NYU without hesitation but your deal with Cornell is way too good to pass up. Since you are interested in NYC, you might also try Penn. Last year my 1L SA friend lived in Philly and I believe he said it was only an hour or so train (or bus) ride away from the Apple.

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Renne Walker wrote:Normally I would say NYU without hesitation but your deal with Cornell is way too good to pass up. Since you are interested in NYC, you might also try Penn. Last year my 1L SA friend lived in Philly and I believe he said it was only an hour or so train (or bus) ride away from the Apple.
You're the Tony Gwynn of douches, and just as entertaining. Keep it up.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Tagging because I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP. No free housing (unfortunately), but same scholarship options, and I really really want to live in NYC (and really don't want to live in Ithaca).
Are you negotiating with NYU at all?
Like my life depends on it! My basic message to NYU and CLS is "I really, really, really want to go to your school, so please help make it easier and give me money!"

Also, is Gennet Black male or female?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:21 pm

moonman157 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Tagging because I'm in almost the exact same situation as OP. No free housing (unfortunately), but same scholarship options, and I really really want to live in NYC (and really don't want to live in Ithaca).
Are you negotiating with NYU at all?
Like my life depends on it! My basic message to NYU and CLS is "I really, really, really want to go to your school, so please help make it easier and give me money!"

Also, is Gennet Black male or female?
female. She's really nice. Super helpful with COL adjustments

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:It appears that even though firms dip deeper into NYU's class than Cornell's (from what I've heard) this effect is mitigated by NYU's class size being more than twice the size.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206368

You can see for c/o 2012 placement is nearly identical. Perhaps there is a self-selection bias at NYU but nobody knows for sure. I do know that very few people gun for PI at Cornell and there isn't much institutional support for it.
There is definitely tremendous self-selection into public interest at NYU. See here, for instance: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2014.html

This self-selection results in NYU placing a relatively low percentage of its total graduates in large law firms even though NYU students gunning for biglaw from day one have a better chance of success than if they were at Cornell or other lower t14 schools. I think there is a significant material difference between NYU's ability to place its graduates in biglaw and Cornell's ability to place its graduates in biglaw, both in terms of general success rate (at all levels of the curve) and the caliber of firm. Whether that difference is worth $75,000 is up to you, but I tend to think it isn't.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Cornell is the easy choice here. And attempt to negotiate. They claim that they don't but that seems to be empirically false.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 am

NYU rejected my appeal. Thanks everyone for your help!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 am

Congrats on your decision. Let me know if you have any Cornell specific questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am

Enjoy Cornell bro. I think you made the right choice.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Congrats on the decision!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:00 pm

moonman157 wrote:Congrats on the decision!
Thanks! Have you heard back about your NYU appeal yet?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Cornell. Lavitz and I will be there.

Plus, Cornell's c/o 2012 essentially tied NYU's for 100+FedClerks. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 pm

iMisto wrote:Cornell. Lavitz and I will be there.

Misto, many many moons ago we bonded on the Cornell thread when we were both deferred from EA. Part of me regretted choosing nyu because we wouldn't be able to see our friendship through. Now that I have decided on Cornell, I hope you will accept me and overlook my brief sojourn.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:
iMisto wrote:Cornell. Lavitz and I will be there.

Misto, many many moons ago we bonded on the Cornell thread when we were both deferred from EA. Part of me regretted choosing nyu because we wouldn't be able to see our friendship through. Now that I have decided on Cornell, I hope you will accept me and overlook my brief sojourn.
BFFL <3

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:23 pm

I'm driving myself crazy since deciding on Cornell so I have to ask this question ....Cornell at $105k vs. Columbia at sticker? Is Columbia at sticker worth it?

Once I get my CLS award, I'll make a new thread if necessary. Right now I'm just trying to decide if my Columbia award should be a game changer or not.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:26 pm

ph5354a wrote:I'm driving myself crazy since deciding on Cornell so I have to ask this question ....Cornell at $105k vs. Columbia at sticker? Is Columbia at sticker worth it?

Once I get my CLS award, I'll make a new thread if necessary. Right now I'm just trying to decide if my Columbia award should be a game changer or not.
I don't think so. But dude, sounds like you don't want to go to Cornell so just go somewhere else. YOLO bro. Maybe pass your scholarship on to iMisto?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I'm driving myself crazy since deciding on Cornell so I have to ask this question ....Cornell at $105k vs. Columbia at sticker? Is Columbia at sticker worth it?

I don't think so. But dude, sounds like you don't want to go to Cornell so just go somewhere else. YOLO bro. Maybe pass your scholarship on to iMisto?
I'd love to know what you're getting this from.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm

I thought you were set on Cornell ?

Really it's up to you. if you're not debt averse then maybe CLS is worth it. That's sort of another tier. However, if you think you want to end up in NYC BL it doesn't change the odds *much*.

Like BZ said above, if you have doubts about going to Cornell, then don't go. You have amazing options - feel free to take them. Maybe visit CLS/ NYU ? Idk.

I know i'd take CLS at sticker but that's just me.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Waffling, having to start a thread.

From a neutral perspective, the fact that you can save so much money and you want NYC big law makes Cornell a slam dunk. No brainer. Deposit now.

I mean yeah, keep other options open but I wouldn't even think about them unless they give you something really, really good.

But seriously YOLO, go whereever you will be happiest.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Waffling, having to start a thread.

From a neutral perspective, the fact that you can save so much money and you want NYC big law makes Cornell a slam dunk. No brainer. Deposit now.

I mean yeah, keep other options open but I wouldn't even think about them unless they give you something really, really good.

But seriously YOLO, go whereever you will be happiest.
I agree but I'd put it nicer because you're very nice yourself.

the second line above is what hits home. You'll be going to cornell for .. what.. ~80k ? That's amazing. It doesn't get much better than that. Plus you already know you'll be happy in Ithaca.

Have you visited CLS?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I haven't sent any deposits in yet, but I can't see myself deciding against Cornell right now. However, CLS award packages supposedly come out next week and I was trying to get a head start on my decision if that ends up changing things for me. It's not that I don't like Cornell (most people that read my posts on TLS would come to the opposite conclusion), but I am giving up T6 to go there, even if it is at sticker or close to it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the right decision. A lot of people on TLS tend to rate CLS as drastically better than NYU, so even though my preference would probably still be to avoid debt and take the Cornell scholarship, the consensus on here may be that Columbia at sticker is worth it over Cornell even though NYU at close-to sticker isn't. Maybe not. Just trying to get some more opinions. Again, if it comes to a decision point, I'll just make a new thread.

It's a major life-altering decision, I reserve the right to have second thoughts. 8)

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:I haven't sent any deposits in yet, but I can't see myself deciding against Cornell right now. However, CLS award packages supposedly come out next week and I was trying to get a head start on my decision if that ends up changing things for me. It's not that I don't like Cornell (most people that read my posts on TLS would come to the opposite conclusion), but I am giving up T6 to go there, even if it is at sticker or close to it. I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the right decision. A lot of people on TLS tend to rate CLS as drastically better than NYU, so even though my preference would probably still be to avoid debt and take the Cornell scholarship, the consensus on here may be that Columbia at sticker is worth it over Cornell even though NYU at close-to sticker isn't. Maybe not. Just trying to get some more opinions. Again, if it comes to a decision point, I'll just make a new thread.

It's a major life-altering decision, I reserve the right to have second thoughts. 8)
It's important to note that a lot of people say that CLS v NYU is one in the same as well.

I think you need to think about what will make you happy. Again, if you're not debt AVERSE like some are, go with what you think will make you happy. For some, knowing that Cornell is ~80k will make them happy. To you, perhaps, however (so many commas), going to school in NYC may outweigh the debt in terms of net happiness.

Personally, If I was in your shoes, I'd take CLS prolly even over NYU. I love the area where CLS is and I know, if all else fails, that money spent on CLS will help me secure a job better than any other school that I was accepted to. I also have interests in clerking which is better at CLS (from memory).

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm

toothbrush wrote: I agree but I'd put it nicer because you're very nice yourself.

the second line above is what hits home. You'll be going to cornell for .. what.. ~80k ? That's amazing. It doesn't get much better than that. Plus you already know you'll be happy in Ithaca.

Have you visited CLS?

Its going to be a lot more than 80k. Probably ~140-150k.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
toothbrush wrote: I agree but I'd put it nicer because you're very nice yourself.

Have you visited CLS?

Its going to be a lot more than 80k. Probably ~140-150k.
$105k scholarship and living at home.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”