Fordham for NYC or W&M for VA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pianogirl

Fordham for NYC or W&M for VA?

Postby pianogirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on which school is best for its respective job market? W&M's 2012 class employment numbers are out and show improvement. Thanks!

Interested in corporate law but will take any employment that is JD advantage. COA will be similar for both after scholarships, family contribution, etc..

drinion

Re: Fordham for NYC or W&M for VA?

Postby drinion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm

pianogirl wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on which school is best for its respective job market? W&M's 2012 class employment numbers are out and show improvement. Thanks!

Interested in corporate law but will take any employment that is JD advantage. COA will be similar for both after scholarships, family contribution, etc..

W&M is a great school, but I would go to Fordham if I wanted to practice corporate law. Is there a reason you're considering W&M? I'm planning on going there next year, and I got into Fordham, but I never even considered attending Fordham after I got into a few other places. The two schools have significantly different emphases.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 pm

What is COA at each?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Are you from VA? I have a friend who went to W&M and had great grades but couldn't convince anyone that he wanted to stay in VA, so I wouldn't go there if you don't have ties.

drinion

Postby drinion » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Are you from VA? I have a friend who went to W&M and had great grades but couldn't convince anyone that he wanted to stay in VA, so I wouldn't go there if you don't have ties.

I know of out-of-staters who stayed and practiced in VA after graduating. Did your friend work in VA during either of his or her summers? People like to blame their problems on things that are "out of their control". It's not usually that simple though.
Last edited by drinion on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 pm

drinion wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Are you from VA? I have a friend who went to W&M and had great grades but couldn't convince anyone that he wanted to stay in VA, so I wouldn't go there if you don't have ties.

I know of out-of-staters who stayed and practiced in VA after graduating. Did your friend work in VA during either of his or her summer's? People like to blame their problems on things that are "out of their control". It's not usually that simple though.

Fair point. I may have been giving one story too much weight.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”