Berkeley v. UVA w/ half scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mickeysevenn

Berkeley v. UVA w/ half scholarship

Postby mickeysevenn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Hey folks! I would SO appreciate some opinions on this tricky decision.

Let me break it down for you.

My interests in law are broad. Some considerations for my future practice: academia, entertainment law, intellectual property law, corporate law. I want to be on the West Coast and eventually work in either California or Washington State. Safety and financial assistance are important to me.

Berkeley law has offered me nothing, however resides in my preferred region of employment. In my opinion, Berkeley Law sounds more "badass" than UVA law, even though UVA is higher ranked. Additionally, Berkeley's grading system utilizes a sort of "pass/fail" method, whereas UVA sticks to the classic curve. I think this would make my studies at Berkeley less stressful.

Virginia Law has offered me $30,000 a year for all three years. My quality of life at UVA would most likely be higher in Virginia: I would be able to bring my car, I would feel safer in Charlottesville than I would in Berkeley, cost of living is significantly lower, and it is actually ranked above Berkeley. My concern is I will have trouble finding a job when I come back to the West Cost post-graduation.

Basically, my decision breaks down to this: I either choose Berkeley (which is dangerous and expensive) or UVA (which is far away and kind of boring).

Any thoughts? Any insights I'm not considering? Please help!

Rahviveh

Re: Berkeley v. UVA w/ half scholarship

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Berkeley is not dangerous.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Take a year off --> think about why you want to go to law school --> retake --> choose a school for reasons other than lay prestige

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

OP,

You should study statistical probability before you go to law school. Your fears about crime are baseless and should not influence a decision about where to attend law school... at least in this case.

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Have you applied to Berkeley's scholarship matching program? http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

If they match it, I'd say Berkeley if you want to work in CA. Otherwise, I'd lean toward UVA because 90k is a lot of money.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:08 pm

:lol: OP, Berkeley isn't dangerous. Is Berkeley worth over 90K more than UVA? I don't think so.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:Hey folks! I would SO appreciate some opinions on this tricky decision.

My interests in law are broad. Some considerations for my future practice: academia, entertainment law, intellectual property law, corporate law. I want to be on the West Coast and eventually work in either California or Washington State. Safety and financial assistance are important to me.

Berkeley law has offered me nothing, however resides in my preferred region of employment. In my opinion, Berkeley Law sounds more "badass" than UVA law, even though UVA is higher ranked. Additionally, Berkeley's grading system utilizes a sort of "pass/fail" method, whereas UVA sticks to the classic curve. I think this would make my studies at Berkeley less stressful.

Virginia Law has offered me $30,000 a year for all three years. My quality of life at UVA would most likely be higher in Virginia: I would be able to bring my car, I would feel safer in Charlottesville than I would in Berkeley, cost of living is significantly lower, and it is actually ranked above Berkeley. My concern is I will have trouble finding a job when I come back to the West Cost post-graduation.

Basically, my decision breaks down to this: I either choose Berkeley (which is dangerous and expensive) or UVA (which is far away and kind of boring).

First of all, lets address some of your less important points:

1. Berkeley is objectively more badass than UVa.
2. UVa is ranked higher because they game the rankings like it's going out of style. If the rest of the T14 went to the ridiculous ends UVa does to have a high USNWR ranking, UVa would probably be down around NU or Cornell.
3. I doubt your QoL would be higher in Charlottesville, VA than in the the metro area of one of the world's greatest cities.
4. The Berkeley grading system is sweet and in theory should be much less stressful.

Now, I'll stop trolling and say this:

These are peer schools. If Berkeley gives you no money, I cannot in good conscience tell you to pick it over UVa, unless you are dead set on staying on the west coast for your life. Even then, I'd pick UVa as a degree there can definitely get you back to CA.

You are putting way too much thought into the things that don't matter and not enough into the things that do.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Does anyone have any safety/crime data? I would love to forward some to my parents who think I will have my car broken into daily in Berkeley.... :lol:

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone have any safety/crime data? I would love to forward some to my parents who think I will have my car broken into daily in Berkeley.... :lol:

Well depending on the car and if you park on the street, that's not unlikely.

As far as personal safety though, it's really not a concern unless you are commuting from East Oakland or Richmond or something.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:35 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Does anyone have any safety/crime data? I would love to forward some to my parents who think I will have my car broken into daily in Berkeley.... :lol:

Well depending on the car and if you park on the street, that's not unlikely.

As far as personal safety though, it's really not a concern unless you are commuting from East Oakland or Richmond or something.

I was planning on living in the nicer parts of Oakland or Berkeley hills and taking the bus. This is of course assuming I get $ and can commit right now...as a non-URM it seems to be unlikely I get a matching scholly ):

helix23

Postby helix23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Berkeley can be dangerous if you're a moron.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:06 pm

You are an adult. Go where is best for you. If your parents are paranoid, that is their problem. I'm also just baffled by how they could be that concerned for your safety in Berkeley of all places.

I don't see how you can't bring your car to Berkeley. Tons of people have cars. I have a car and it's no problem.

The rankings difference would be a really silly basis to make your decision. They fluctuate every year, and no one is going to care that Berkeley is one or two spots below UVA. They are peer schools.

What kind of law are you interested in? What do you care about while at school? Any clinics, clubs, lifestyle?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:55 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

You are an adult. Go where is best for you. If your parents are paranoid, that is their problem. I'm also just baffled by how they could be that concerned for your safety in Berkeley of all places.

I don't see how you can't bring your car to Berkeley. Tons of people have cars. I have a car and it's no problem.

The rankings difference would be a really silly basis to make your decision. They fluctuate every year, and no one is going to care that Berkeley is one or two spots below UVA. They are peer schools.

What kind of law are you interested in? What do you care about while at school? Any clinics, clubs, lifestyle?

I am of course choosing for myself- but would obviously like to assuage their fears a little bit. I grew up in the East Bay so they're probably a little biased since more than a handful of people that we know have had their cars broken into. I'm planning on bringing mine regardless if I get aid from them.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm

You guys are funny. And all make some great points. I think my favorite might have been:

helix23 wrote:Berkeley can be dangerous if you're a moron.

Succinct and true! Thank you all for your insight.

Real Madrid, your response intrigues me, particularly points 1 & 2. You make a lot of sense. What about "the things that matter," though? I'm just curious.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:00 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:Hey folks! I would SO appreciate some opinions on this tricky decision.

I hear there's a group at UVA called West Coast Wahoos, a group of students that are all looking to practice in California. I think a few posters on this board are members, though I'm not positive.

Berkeley is not worth 90K more than UVA, simply put. You should try to narrow down your interests a bit, stop worrying about rankings fluctuations, and then go see if Berkeley will match UVA's offer.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:

I hear there's a group at UVA called West Coast Wahoos, a group of students that are all looking to practice in California. I think a few posters on this board are members, though I'm not positive.

Berkeley is not worth 90K more than UVA, simply put. You should try to narrow down your interests a bit, stop worrying about rankings fluctuations, and then go see if Berkeley will match UVA's offer.

Thank you. This is the answer I was essentially looking for. Already filled out the Matching Scholarship app at Boalt, but haven't heard anything yet. IF I get bad news I am going to continue to barter because my heart is set on the West Coast.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:

Thank you. This is the answer I was essentially looking for. Already filled out the Matching Scholarship app at Boalt, but haven't heard anything yet. IF I get bad news I am going to continue to barter because my heart is set on the West Coast.

I think UVA can get you there in general, but definitely browse some of the other UVA threads from the past week or so. I remember seeing a few West Coast Wahoos who could definitely help you way more than I can.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”