Tulane vs Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane ($30k/year, 3.0 stip) vs Emory ($22k/year, remain in good standing)

Tulane
47%
Emory
53%

Total votes: 15

lambert8

Tulane vs Emory

Postby lambert8 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Have a $30k/year scholly for Tulane and a $22k/year scholly for Emory. Tulane stip is 3.0 which I've been told is top 75% of class, Emory stip is just to remain in good standing.
Last edited by lambert8 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruxin1

Re: Tulane vs Emory

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 pm

lambert8 wrote:Have a $30k/year scholly for Tulane and a $22k/year scholly for Emory. Tulane stip is 3.0 which I've been told is top 75% of class, Emory stip is just to remain in good standing. My career goal is to work in sports law.

What do you mean by sports law? Have you played professionally?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 pm

What is the total cost of attendance.

also, there is no sports law.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

where do you want to work? I would choose Emory personally, especially hearing about some questionable grading at Tulane a while back. With that said, sports law does not exist, and even if it did, these schools would not get you there. Think twice before attending either if that is your only goal.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

deadpanic wrote:What is the total cost of attendance.

also, there is no sports law.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Would you still go to law school if you knew there was a 0% chance of practicing whatever you think "sports law" is? Being a sports agent? Working for a professional team? Working for a players union? None of these will happen from Emory.

If not, don't go to either.

eligator9

Postby eligator9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Just a thought reading through this.

I have a very similar interest (want to work in sports, have had experience interning in sports, etc.) to the OP, but have spoken with several law school professors and professionals within the field of sports, and their opinion all had one common thread:

DO NOT GO TO A PLACE THAT PREACHES SPORTS LAW.

They have all told me to go to the best law school possible, practice in a firm for a few years or so, and transition into sports. Being a big sports fan or being passionate about it is a bonus, but mainly, these teams, leagues, and companies are mainly looking to hire the best legal minds they can. Tulane and Marquette were the two schools mentioned as "trap schools" for people wanting to work in sports.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:26 pm

eligator9 wrote:Just a thought reading through this.

I have a very similar interest (want to work in sports, have had experience interning in sports, etc.) to the OP, but have spoken with several law school professors and professionals within the field of sports, and their opinion all had one common thread:

DO NOT GO TO A PLACE THAT PREACHES SPORTS LAW.

They have all told me to go to the best law school possible, practice in a firm for a few years or so, and transition into sports. Being a big sports fan or being passionate about it is a bonus, but mainly, these teams, leagues, and companies are mainly looking to hire the best legal minds they can. Tulane and Marquette were the two schools mentioned as "trap schools" for people wanting to work in sports.

This.

OP, if you want to practice sports law, volunteer as a referee at your local YMCA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”