Georgetown vs. Michigan vs. Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Georgetown COA = 200k
3%
Michigan COA = 150k
50%
Vanderbilt COA = 100k
47%

Total votes: 34

Crixxus

Georgetown vs. Michigan vs. Vanderbilt

Postby Crixxus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:25 am

I've narrowed down my choices to Gtown, Michigan, and Vandy. I'm still planning on negotiating scholarships so I hope to get the total COA down for whichever school I attend, however as they stand currently Gtown= 200k, Michigan= 150k, and Vandy= 100k after 3 years (including living expenses).

I've visited all three schools and could see myself at any of them. I'm from the east coast and would like to work and live in D.C. one day, however I will take whatever job I can get my first few years out. I know there is a lot of hate for Georgetown on this thread but I was genuinely impressed by what the school has to offer and by what current students shared at the ASD. Would I be crazy for choosing Gtown for its location in D.C. and thereby taking 50-100k more in debt?

Also, is Michigan worth 50k more than Vanderbilt? The employment prospects at both schools seems about equal and I loved the environment at both places, so right now I'm leaning towards Vandy as the most inexpensive option.

Thanks for your thoughts!

rad lulz

Re: Georgetown vs. Michigan vs. Vanderbilt

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

You add interest? If you do, Vanderbilt is probably the smartest financial option, but it's hard for me to recommend anything without knowing some specific career goals ("I want to be in DC" is not really a career goal)

Crixxus

Postby Crixxus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

rad lulz wrote:You add interest? If you do, Vanderbilt is probably the smartest financial option, but it's hard for me to recommend anything without knowing some specific career goals ("I want to be in DC" is not really a career goal)

I used Georgetown's financial aid calculator, I believe that adds interest?

Just curious in what instance career goals would make a difference? I would like to clerk for a judge after graudating (although I know that this is very difficult from any of these three schools). Vandy and Michigan have a comparable clerkship placement of ~10%.

I wouldn't mind working for a firm for a few years to clear up debts and then moving to a smaller practice. Long term, however, I'm interested in criminal law or working for a NGO or even the state department. Basically I'm open to a lot of career paths and am hoping to solidify exactly what type of law I'm interested in while taking courses and gaining work experience during the summer/ doing externships.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 am

I would go to Florida Gulf Coast School of law before I paid 200,000 for Georgetown...

Crixxus

Postby Crixxus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:57 am

YankeesFan wrote:I would go to Florida Gulf Coast School of law before I paid 200,000 for Georgetown...

That was helpful, thank you.

ETA: But to give a serious response to a non-serious troll, I have been impressed with Georgetown's LRAP options, assuming congress doesn't eliminate the program.

I could easily see myself working for a 501c or other non-profit and making an average salary for 10 years while having Gtown pick up my loan payments and then having all debts be forgiven. Or is that insane? (Assuming you've even considered that option which I doubt you've heard of looking at your options)...

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:41 pm

If I were you I would seriously think about Michigan. Its a top 10 school, assuming you end up at median, I think your chances at getting a big law job would be pretty decent. Im also pretty sure (not 100%) that vanderbilt allows companies to choose students for OCI, which could screw you over (since all the companies will take the best students, and there is never a guarantee you will end up a top student) in the long run. GeorgeTown is a lesser school than Michigan and costs more, so I would prob eliminate it from my list entirely.

Michigan holds a slight edge over Vandy in my mind, but the 50k could be pretty important for you, depending on how risk averse (debt averse) you are. Do some more research, maybe try to get in contact with graduates from both schools.. at this point I think its more about how much you like the feel of each school/area.

All the best with your choices!

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:Im also pretty sure (not 100%) that vanderbilt allows companies to choose students for OCI, which could screw you over (since all the companies will take the best students, and there is never a guarantee you will end up a top student) in the long run.

This isn't entirely true. Vanderbilt OCI is 50% preselect, but the other 50% of interviews are given to those who give the highest bids to the firms. Of course, employers probably favor the preselects.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”